Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Why? Because you say so? Your opinion is just that. You have never run a business or employed anyone have you?
Actually I had employees years ago and I treated them quite well. I made a bit less money, but the satisfaction I had by knowing I treated them like family was worth it. They also worked very hard and i did not have to push them. One of them had surgery and was off for two weeks. She was a part time worker, but i kept her on the payroll even though we never discuss that issue. I also sent them to conferences and gave them extra cash so they could eat in good restaurants.

Why are you against the concept of treating employees well?
Are you against child labor laws? The 40 hour week? Weekends off?

Sometimes these things have to be mandated because not all employers are kind to the workers. And once they become the norm it is automatic. One day 6-8 weeks vacation will be the norm in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The government has no business telling private companies to pay you for two or more weeks off. If it's important to you it should be a consideration when you decide to accept a job, just like health insurance, hours per week, flex time, sick leave, etc.. If companies want good people they offer more perks.
Thanks for regurgitating that. Can you think out of the box?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:09 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Actually I had employees years ago and I treated them quite well. I made a bit less money, but the satisfaction I had by knowing I treated them like family was worth it. They also worked very hard and i did not have to push them. One of them had surgery and was off for two weeks. She was a part time worker, but i kept her on the payroll even though we never discuss that issue. I also sent them to conferences and gave them extra cash so they could eat in good restaurants.

Sometimes these things have to be mandated because not all employers are kind to the workers. And once they become the norm it is automatic. One day 6-8 weeks vacation will be the norm in America.
There you go again, twisting my words. I never said I was "against the concept of treating employees well."

I said I am against government mandating how PRIVATE BUSINESSES compensate their employees.

Child labor laws is a straw man argument, since child labor laws have been enacted since 1916, there is no point in arguing the issue. I will say that I am against the government mandating that children under 14 are not allowed to work in family businesses like farming or restaurants.

Ford implemented the 40 hour work week without being mandated. AS IT SHOULD BE.

If a six week vacation becomes the norm in the US, GREAT. If that is due to government mandate, then we should just go back to calling this place the British Colonies.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Thanks for regurgitating that. Can you think out of the box?
You have to forgive them. Probably just got finished listening to Rush Limbaugh, and that stuff just stays in their heads for weeks thereafter.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:

Hmm, hope that didn't run afoul with any IRS reporting or laws. I mean we need all of these government regulations right? Better make sure you are following them all to the letter.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You have to forgive them. Probably just got finished listening to Rush Limbaugh, and that stuff just stays in their heads for weeks thereafter.
Brilliant insight! I have NEVER heard anyone make that stellar observation before on this forum. Next thing you know you will be saying something about FAUX news...now that would be a hoot wouldn't it??

What a rapier wit you have. You should not be wasting your talent for insight and cutting acumen of CD forums, you need to share this shrewd intellect with all of mankind. Really, don't let us Neanderthals hold you back!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:45 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
There you go again, twisting my words. I never said I was "against the concept of treating employees well."

I said I am against government mandating how PRIVATE BUSINESSES compensate their employees.

Child labor laws is a straw man argument, since child labor laws have been enacted since 1916, there is no point in arguing the issue. I will say that I am against the government mandating that children under 14 are not allowed to work in family businesses like farming or restaurants.

Ford implemented the 40 hour work week without being mandated. AS IT SHOULD BE.

If a six week vacation becomes the norm in the US, GREAT. If that is due to government mandate, then we should just go back to calling this place the British Colonies.
Child labor laws actually are very bad for our country and working class people specifically. There is nothing wrong with children working and in many cases it's much better than the alternative. Throughout history children have worked and contributed to their improved family living standard.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Child labor laws actually are very bad for our country and working class people specifically. There is nothing wrong with children working and in many cases it's much better than the alternative. Throughout history children have worked and contributed to their improved family living standard.
I agree with you to an extent and that is with regard to family owned businesses. I really don't want to turn back to time when sweat shops were full of little kids working for pennies instead of attending school. OF course, if there is a total economic breakdown and it is a question of children working or starving to death, then bring on the sweat shops.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Yes, but 6 weeks vacation should be the norm for ALL. The companies you mention are basically full of millenials that desire a lot of time off and embrace the European style.

When all the millennials manage or own these companies I wunder if they will be so generous with their own money as they are with somebody else's money....

Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
No because the government mandating an employer be required to pay two weeks salary to all employees and the effects that has on that employer and the financial stability of that company has absolutely nothing at all to do with my response about MY DEFINITION OF FREEDOM.

Are you really that obtuse or do you just like trolling?
No. I'm simply going by what you wrote as your definition of freedom. You might want to go back & reread what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies