Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
But, make no mistake about this: The worker is part slave as long as a fraction of his labor is given for free to the employer. But, I freely accept this concept because I see no clear alternative at this moment in history. There is a way around this discrepancy and some employers actually try to remedy this.
The typical worker gives a much greater percentage of his income to various governments. So you do agree that man is much more a slave of the state than the capitalist?

Let me add that no capitalist has ever forced me to work for him.

Last edited by whogo; 06-26-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 02:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
I actually think it is fair for the worker to donate a fraction of his labor for free so the employer makes a profit. As you know the employer owns the business and is taking a all the risk.

But, make no mistake about this: The worker is part slave as long as a fraction of his labor is given for free to the employer. But, I freely accept this concept because I see no clear alternative at this moment in history. There is a way around this discrepancy and some employers actually try to remedy this.
What a bizarre and twisted view of the world you have. The worker isn't giving his labor for free because the employer makes a profit.

Funny that you don't think the employer is a slave when you think he should be forced to pay an employee for doing nothing.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
You are correct, the market determines everything, but for the employer to make a profit the employee must donate some of his productivity.

There are times when a worker may earn 10.00 per hour, but if the employer earns 30.00 per hour he has a profit of 20.00. And if the employee earns 5.00 per hour and the employer earns 6.00 there is a 1.00 profit. Yes, all these values are depending on market forces forces.

The issue is that regardless of what the market does the employee must donate some of his productivity to the employer.

Let's say you have two workers and both earn 10.00 per hour. One is twice as productive as the other and hence generates more profit for the employer. Or in other words donates more of his value to the employer.

This is basic arithmetic.
You really know nothing about business, costs or profits. Employees don't donate any of their productivity or wages to their employer.

Your example obviously is in some service area where consumers buy services by the hour, so let's stick with that even though that represents a very tiny percent of situations.

If I hire a landscape service company for $25 per hour and the company pays the employees $15 per hour, they don't make $10 per hour profit. They have lots of other expenses (equipment, fuel, transportation, phone answering services, accountants, etc) and might make a small profit, but in fact, they might not make any profit at all on that deal. The value of the employees labor is not $25 per hour. That's the value of the services delivered including the use of their landscaping tools, phone contact services, warranty work, etc.

Employees don't donate any of their productivity. That concept is totally foreign to the business world.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You really know nothing about business, costs or profits. Employees don't donate any of their productivity or wages to their employer.

Your example obviously is in some service area where consumers buy services by the hour, so let's stick with that even though that represents a very tiny percent of situations.

If I hire a landscape service company for $25 per hour and the company pays the employees $15 per hour, they don't make $10 per hour profit. They have lots of other expenses (equipment, fuel, transportation, phone answering services, accountants, etc) and might make a small profit, but in fact, they might not make any profit at all on that deal. The value of the employees labor is not $25 per hour. That's the value of the services delivered including the use of their landscaping tools, phone contact services, warranty work, etc.

Employees don't donate any of their productivity. That concept is totally foreign to the business world.
You're talking to a wall.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The typical worker gives a much greater percentage of his income to various governments. So you do agree that man is much more a slave of the state than the capitalist?

You have two choices. Take it or leave it. I don't consider myself a slave because I choose to live within society and by society's rules. That includes working for a paycheck, paying my taxes and understanding that the value of my labor is what the market will bear. I could choose to live outside of society but I like things like toilets that flush into a sewer system. A slave has no choice.

No capitalist has ever forced me to work for them either. I have chosen to work every job I've worked.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
"Mandatory" anything arises from the delusions of tyrants and thugs...

Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Yes, man is also partly enslaved by the government. We must obey laws to be good standing members of society. The only way to avoid this is to move away to a far remote place away from civilization.

You have no choice, but to donate part of your productivity to the employer. Otherwiset, you would not be a good employee. The best employee is the one that does the most for the employer. You do not receive 100% of your fruit, but in exchange you are able to put food on the table.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
"Mandatory" anything arises from the delusions of tyrants and thugs...
Like a boss that expects you to work for him?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Like a boss that expects you to work for him?
When you disagree with your boss, you can quit.

When you disagree with government, you can end up in jail.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When did family values become a govt mandate? In fact the govt works overtime at destroying them with its welfare schemes.

How much vacation time do you give your employees?

When I needed employees(what a pain in the ass) I paid them piece work. They made from what they produced. They could make less than minimum wage if they lollygagged around.
But if they kicked it in gear, $100 an hour wasn't unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies