Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't need to. My job has excellent benefits so there's no need to negotiate. Sorry if your job lacks that so you have to beg.
Exactly!

Why do workers have to beg for vacation time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And countless employees have agreed to that contract.
Yep, they are desperate and they need to put food on the table.
Now that is what I called pseudo-freedom.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
My FEAR is that if government forced some sort of mandatory vacation time, my salary would go down, my employment options would lessen, and/or my other benefits (the ones not being mandated by the government) would be reduced.

So for example maybe an employer says ok, now I have to give this employee an extra week's vacation, I guess I'll cut back on the employee discount I am giving them on our product/service.

Its naieve to think that this policy or any like it wouldn't impact other aspects of someones employment. Just because YOU put such a high value on travel and vacation doesn't mean that other people do. Maybe the person working for a local shop or service provider is doing so because they really like that product or service, and put high value on a discount the employer gives the employees on it.

Just because Julian likes or wants something, doesn't mean the government needs to mandate it. I think the government gets itself into trouble when they decide that they know whats best for people. I'm ok with that in a certain sense when it comes to advanced science/medicine where we cant all be scientists and doctors, but I think we all know whether or not we value time off and travel and can manage ourselves accordingly.

And I'm not talking about "me" specifically, just in general for the average working person in this scenario.
You make some good points and you illustrate our barbaric state.

Ideally, employers should be on board with the concept of including an acceptable number of vacation days for the employees, but we are not there yet. We are still barbarians that see the exploitation of others as normal.

If you look at history there is hope. We now have a lesser tendency to exploit others, particularly in advanced more mature countries. However, the concept of exploitation is still a reality in many parts of the world and you seem to be accepting of this practice.

Folks like you were against the 40 hour week and the concept of no work on Sundays not that long ago.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:07 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You make some good points and you illustrate our barbaric state.

Ideally, employers should be on board with the concept of including an acceptable number of vacation days for the employees, but we are not there yet. We are still barbarians that see the exploitation of others as normal.

If you look at history there is hope. We now have a lesser tendency to exploit others, particularly in advanced more mature countries. However, the concept of exploitation is still a reality in many parts of the world and you seem to be accepting of this practice.

Folks like you were against the 40 hour week and the concept of no work on Sundays not that long ago.
Please kindly explain where you come up with this BS that you claim to know about me and what I think.

Calling people barbarians while trying to force your will on people is a bit counter intuitive especially considering he at will employment world we live in.

For someone claiming to be so civil, caring, and worldly you certainly have a hard time actually being nice to people that share different opinions than you do. How about if you try to tone down the name calling and admonishing in your replies. You come off as the type of 'barbarian' you claim to despise in the work world...but seem to be ok with in your own little personal utopia where you make the rules.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Yep, they are desperate and they need to put food on the table.
Now that is what I called pseudo-freedom.

So they are living paycheck to paycheck. I suppose you think once we mandate they take two weeks off they will just jet off to Europe on holiday.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Please kindly explain where you come up with this BS that you claim to know about me and what I think.

Calling people barbarians while trying to force your will on people is a bit counter intuitive especially considering he at will employment world we live in.

For someone claiming to be so civil, caring, and worldly you certainly have a hard time actually being nice to people that share different opinions than you do. How about if you try to tone down the name calling and admonishing in your replies. You come off as the type of 'barbarian' you claim to despise in the work world...but seem to be ok with in your own little personal utopia where you make the rules.
I believe I said "our barbaric state" and I freely include myself in that group. WE are far from being truly civilized and enlightened. WE have a long way to go.

I apologize to you if you would have supported the 40 hour week and the concept of free weekends. However, many right wingers back in the day were against the 40 hour week.

Here is an example of becoming more civilized,

Quote:
In 1926, Ford Motor Company becomes one of the first companies in America to adopt a five-day, 40-hour week for workers in its automotive factories. The policy would be extended to Ford’s office workers the following August.

Henry Ford’s Detroit-based automobile company had broken ground in its labor policies before. In early 1914, against a backdrop of widespread unemployment and increasing labor unrest, Ford announced that it would pay its male factory workers a minimum wage of $5 per eight-hour day, upped from a previous rate of $2.34 for nine hours (the policy was adopted for female workers in 1916). The news shocked many in the industry–at the time, $5 per day was nearly double what the average auto worker made–but turned out to be a stroke of brilliance, immediately boosting productivity along the assembly line and building a sense of company loyalty and pride among Ford’s workers.

The decision to reduce the workweek from six to five days had originally been made in 1922. According to an article published in The New York Times that March, Edsel Ford, Henry’s son and the company’s president, explained that “Every man needs more than one day a week for rest and recreation….The Ford Company always has sought to promote [an] ideal home life for its employees. We believe that in order to live properly every man should have more time to spend with his family.”

Henry Ford said of the decision: “It is high time to rid ourselves of the notion that leisure for workmen is either ‘lost time’ or a class privilege.” At Ford’s own admission, however, the five-day workweek was also instituted in order to increase productivity: Though workers’ time on the job had decreased, they were expected to expend more effort while they were there. Manufacturers all over the country, and the world, soon followed Ford’s lead, and the Monday-to-Friday workweek became standard practice.
Ford factory workers get 40-hour week - May 01, 1926 - HISTORY.com

Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So they are living paycheck to paycheck. I suppose you think once we mandate they take two weeks off they will just jet off to Europe on holiday.
They may actually become more productive and increase the profit margin of the employer.

Quote:
Henry Ford said of the decision: “It is high time to rid ourselves of the notion that leisure for workmen is either ‘lost time’ or a class privilege.” At Ford’s own admission, however, the five-day workweek was also instituted in order to increase productivity: Though workers’ time on the job had decreased, they were expected to expend more effort while they were there. Manufacturers all over the country, and the world, soon followed Ford’s lead, and the Monday-to-Friday workweek became standard practice.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So they are living paycheck to paycheck.
Can I include that in the right wing definition of FREEDOM?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:

In 1926, Ford Motor Company becomes one of the first companies in America to adopt a five-day, 40-hour week for workers in its automotive factories. The policy would be extended to Ford’s office workers the following August.

Henry Ford’s Detroit-based automobile company had broken ground in its labor policies before. In early 1914, against a backdrop of widespread unemployment and increasing labor unrest, Ford announced that it would pay its male factory workers a minimum wage of $5 per eight-hour day, upped from a previous rate of $2.34 for nine hours (the policy was adopted for female workers in 1916). The news shocked many in the industry–at the time, $5 per day was nearly double what the average auto worker made–but turned out to be a stroke of brilliance, immediately boosting productivity along the assembly line and building a sense of company loyalty and pride among Ford’s workers.

The decision to reduce the workweek from six to five days had originally been made in 1922. According to an article published in The New York Times that March, Edsel Ford, Henry’s son and the company’s president, explained that “Every man needs more than one day a week for rest and recreation….The Ford Company always has sought to promote [an] ideal home life for its employees. We believe that in order to live properly every man should have more time to spend with his family.”

Henry Ford said of the decision: “It is high time to rid ourselves of the notion that leisure for workmen is either ‘lost time’ or a class privilege.” At Ford’s own admission, however, the five-day workweek was also instituted in order to increase productivity: Though workers’ time on the job had decreased, they were expected to expend more effort while they were there. Manufacturers all over the country, and the world, soon followed Ford’s lead, and the Monday-to-Friday workweek became standard practice.[/url]
So I'm not a historian by any means, so correct me if I'm wrong or mis-read that, it sounds like Henry Ford made decisions on his own or with his management to implement things that were best for him, his company, and his employees? Did I miss the part here government mandated him to do this?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
So I'm not a historian by any means, so correct me if I'm wrong or mis-read that, it sounds like Henry Ford made decisions on his own or with his management to implement things that were best for him, his company, and his employees? Did I miss the part here government mandated him to do this?
Henry Ford was a civilized man that immediately saw the benefits of a shorter work week.

Quote:
May 1, 1867: The Illinois Legislature passed a law mandating an eight-hour workday. Many employers refused to cooperate, and a massive strike erupted in Chicago. That day became known as "May Day."

May 19, 1869: President Ulysses S. Grant issued a proclamation that guaranteed a stable wage and an eight-hour workday — but only for government workers. Grant's decision encouraged private-sector workers to push for the same rights.

1870s and 1880s: While the National Labor Union had dissolved, other organizations including the Knights of Labor and the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions continued to demand an eight-hour workday. Every year on May Day, strikes and demonstrations were organized to bring awareness to the issue.

May 1, 1886: Labor organizations called for a national strike in support of a shorter workday. More than 300,000 workers turned out across the country. In Chicago, demonstrators fought with police over the next few days. Many on both sides were wounded or killed in an event that's now known as the "Haymarket Affair."

1906: The eight-hour workday was instituted at two major firms in the printing industry.

September 3, 1916: Congress passed the Adamson Act, a federal law that established an eight-hour workday for interstate railroad workers. The Supreme Court constitutionalized the act in 1917.

September 25, 1926: Ford Motor Companies adopted a five-day, 40-hour workweek.

June 25, 1938: Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, which limited the workweek to 44 hours.

June 26, 1940: Congress amended the Fair Labor Standards Act, limiting the workweek to 40 hours. The act went into effect on October 24, 1940.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies