Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GritsCode View Post
Race is injected into a a lot of situations which otherwise would have been non-racial.
Well, it makes it harder when yesterday, a guy in Raleigh, North Carolina had a shotgun in which a deputy wrestled it away from him, and then the guy pulled out a handgun and fired a shot, yet, somehow the criminal didn't end up shot or dead.

I apparently can't link any other stories in these threads or my posts will get deleted, but please Google the story and tell me what that guy looks like.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
He was the driver. Look where the steering wheel is.
He wasn't the driver, his girlfriend had the phone in "mirror" mode, so that's why it looks like he's the driver. He was the passenger.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM

596 posts, read 429,036 times
Statement from the school district where the deceased worked.

http://www.spps.org/site/default.asp...42665&PageID=1

Saint Paul Public Schools and its staff grieve the tragic death of a former student and current employee, Philando Castile.

He graduated from Central High School in 2001 and had worked for Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) since he was 19 years old, beginning in 2002, in the Nutrition Services Department.

Mr. Castile was promoted to a supervisory position two years ago and was currently working in one of our schools during the summer term.

Colleagues describe him as a team player who maintained great relationships with staff and students alike. He had a cheerful disposition and his colleagues enjoyed working with him. He was quick to greet former coworkers with a smile and hug.

One coworker said, “Kids loved him. He was smart, over-qualified. He was quiet, respectful, and kind. I knew him as warm and funny; he called me his 'wing man.' He wore a shirt and tie to his supervisor interview and said his goal was to one day 'sit on the other side of this table.’”

Those who worked with him daily said he will be greatly missed.

"I am deeply sorry for his family and for their loss. He's worked in SPPS for many years and he graduated from our district, so he was one of our own," said SPPS Superintendent Valeria Silva.

Grief counselors will be available for staff and students as needed or requested.

The Saint Paul Public Schools family extends its deepest sympathy to Mr. Castile's family and loved ones.

This makes it even worse for me now. I really feel for this guys friends and family.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GritsCode View Post
My opinion stands. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, i'm not white. Race is not the issue in every situation. I said not every situation is race related. Got it? I know you won't like this but way too many people have it in their head when every situation happens it's because he was a minority or that white guy must be racist. People like you make me laugh
I don't believe it, sorry. That or you're an immigrant and weren't born and raised here. America is all about race. The foundation of this country was built around race, we had a civil war because of race, civil rights marches and legislation because of race, and now this. No country on earth is consumed by questions of race and ethnicity more so than the United States.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The media is to blame for the rampages for occurring in the first place. They decide what is cool and what isn't. People buy into the media's perspective. If someone doesn't fit the criteria, they get rejected by everyone else. That person gets angry and people are dead.
That's the truth. That's why I don't watch to much news. Anytime I meet someone of a different race I indulge in conversations about there culture. I ask questions to things I feel I may be ignorant on rather than just assuming based on something I saw in the news.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Statement from the school district where the deceased worked.

http://www.spps.org/site/default.asp...42665&PageID=1

Saint Paul Public Schools and its staff grieve the tragic death of a former student and current employee, Philando Castile.

He graduated from Central High School in 2001 and had worked for Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) since he was 19 years old, beginning in 2002, in the Nutrition Services Department.

Mr. Castile was promoted to a supervisory position two years ago and was currently working in one of our schools during the summer term.

Colleagues describe him as a team player who maintained great relationships with staff and students alike. He had a cheerful disposition and his colleagues enjoyed working with him. He was quick to greet former coworkers with a smile and hug.

One coworker said, “Kids loved him. He was smart, over-qualified. He was quiet, respectful, and kind. I knew him as warm and funny; he called me his 'wing man.' He wore a shirt and tie to his supervisor interview and said his goal was to one day 'sit on the other side of this table.’”

Those who worked with him daily said he will be greatly missed.

"I am deeply sorry for his family and for their loss. He's worked in SPPS for many years and he graduated from our district, so he was one of our own," said SPPS Superintendent Valeria Silva.

Grief counselors will be available for staff and students as needed or requested.

The Saint Paul Public Schools family extends its deepest sympathy to Mr. Castile's family and loved ones.

This makes it even worse for me now. I really feel for this guys friends and family.
Tearing up reading the bolded part. Goodness.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:44 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
At this point, it's hard to keep giving police the benefit of the doubt. They just seem to be overreacting. The worst part is that the system protects them- no matter how obvious their actions are.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
He wasn't the driver!
80-90% of the time, they only ask for the driver's ID.
He was.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
At this point, it's hard to keep giving police the benefit of the doubt. They just seem to be overreacting. The worst part is that the system protects them- no matter how obvious their actions are.
In many ways, I think a lot of cases aren't about police being 'evil' as much as psychologically unfit for the job. They show lack of necessary staying calm under pressure and ability to make good decisions in very dynamic situations. Basically, the screening on these police officers is clearly not good enough and/or training is not doing its job.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 AM

299 posts, read 187,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't believe it, sorry. That or you're an immigrant and weren't born and raised here.
Why would it matter if you believe it or not? You made an assumption about me and was wrong. Let that be a lesson to you. Not an immigrant neither. Nice try
Quote:
America is all about race.
To some
Quote:
The foundation of this country was built around race, we had a civil war because of race, civil rights marches and legislation because of race, and now this. No country on earth is consumed by questions of race and ethnicity more so than the United States.
I know the foundation of the US. My opinion stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies