Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I don't know if he was or wasn't - but he was a member of the Crips fb group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529972970402008/
LOL....I am a member of lot of Facebook pages of things I am not a member of. I could see being a member there myself in the interest of seeing what they had to say.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Pathetic character assassination which justifies his murder only to bootlicking authoritarians. If only all gang members held down the same job from their teens to thirties.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Pathetic character assassination which justifies his murder only to bootlicking authoritarians. If only all gang members held down the same job from their teens to thirties.

Who did that? Mr. Castile started working at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:54 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
This woman in the video is a cold blooded sociopath. She sits their trying to be famous as a man bleeds to death...what a jerk.
I will give you that it's very strange. I don't know how I'd act in that specific situation, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't ...

A. Talk to a camera saying "they killed my boyfriend!" when my boyfriend was obviously still alive.

Which brings me to ...

B. I don't think I'd keep talking to the world wide web when instead I could be offering words of comfort to my fiance/boyfriend who was bleeding out next to me.

There's a certain amount of slack I can cut people who are in extraordinary situations - but these two things don't sit well with me. To say the least.

Also, I don't begrudge people with where they decide to donate their hard earned money BUT ... there are 3 gofundme's. The mother's: $170K. The sister's: $63K. Diamond Reynolds: $43K.

He was a single (per his facebook) man with no kids.

At some point, especially when they "amount needed" keeps getting jacked up when each goal is met, it just begins to seem like you're trying to make money off of a tragedy.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
Quote:
At some point, especially when they "amount needed" keeps getting jacked up when each goal is met, it just begins to seem like you're trying to make money off of a tragedy.
It is rather unseemly to exploit a tragedy for financial (or political) gain, isn't it?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Quote:
I don't know if he was or wasn't - but he was a member of the Crips fb group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529972970402008/
Yeah, I finally found that group. I think it was a joke of some sort because if you look at some of the members pages, they are all about "get a job, believe in god, work hard so you can get money and not welfare," etc. They don't post like real gangbangers would.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Who did that? Mr. Castile started working at University of Minnesota in December 2013.
Not really hard to remain ignorant if you try not to.

Quote:

Philando Castile, 32, was a kitchen supervisor for the Saint Paul Public Schools, where he'd worked since he was 19 years old. To many, he was known as "Phil."

Castile was promoted to a supervisory position two years ago, the district said. "He wore a shirt and tie to his supervisor interview and said his goal was to one day 'sit on the other side of this table,'" a coworker recalled in a statement from the district. "He was quiet, respectful, and kind," the coworker said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...le-man-n605581

Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
If he'd never been convicted of a violent crime, why wouldn't he be issued a CC permit? Can the county just reject him if they believe he's a gang member? How would they know? I don't believe that's in someone's background check? Was it even in Hennepin County, because he's a St Paul guy and that's Ramsey County?
He was issued in Robbinsdale, which is a suburb of Minneapolis in Hennepin County. But that aside, I made a mistake - I forgot that Minnesota switched from a "may issue" state to a "shall issue" state several years ago, which means the sheriff doesn't have as much discretion as he used to. Now, as long as you meet the requirements, you get your card, period.

However - one of the requirements is that you are not listed in the Minnesota Criminal Gang Investigation database. People who are actively affiliated with gangs usually don't go too many years without having their name find its way into that database. So it's just a little harder for me to reconcile his permit with the narrative that he's an active gangbanger. According to Minnesota law, you are automatically listed in the Criminal gang Investigation System if you meet 3 of the following criteria -

Quote:
1. Admits gang membership or association.

2. Is observed to associate on a regular basis with known gang members.

3. Has tattoos indicating gang membership.

4. Wears gang symbols to identify with a specific gang.

5. Is in a photograph with known gang members and/or using gang-related hand signs.

6. Name is on a gang document, hit list or gang-related graffiti.

7. Is identified as a gang member by a reliable source.

8. Is arrested in the company of identified gang members or associates.

9. Corresponds with known gang members or writes and/or receives correspondence about gang activities.

10. Writes about gangs (graffiti) on walls, books and paper.
From some of the posts we're seeing, it appears he may have met at least 3 of these criteria. If that's the case, then I find it curious he was issued a CCW permit, because that database is far more often criticized for erring on the side of unfairly naming people as gang members, as opposed to letting possible gang members slip through the cracks.

Something about it just doesn't add up. I imagine it will be explained somehow fairly soon, because I'm sure the police are being asked the same questions we're discussing here. Right now, though, it just seems odd to me.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:11 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
Wouldn't your typical Crip have an arrest record a little more 'colorful' than minor traffic violations?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Gear down big shifter. I'm not saying he deserved to be killed. Crip or no Crip, it's not a free pass to shoot someone. My point is that the 1% and the media like to portray these incidents in the simplest, most moronic, comic book ways possible, where there must be a good guy and a bad guy, with no shades of gray or complexities. Therefore, they chose the racist, White cop kills gentle, law abiding, working Black man. The truth, or what we know of it, appears to be somewhere in the middle and more is still coming out. Officer Yanez is "Mexican" (his words), he was stopping him because he fit the profile of an armed robber they were tasked to find. Castile, certainly appears to have been a Crip Gang member, with a long history of rinky-dink traffic crimes and some more serious ones. What happened when he was pulled over is unknown, other than that he was shot and killed. I'm interested to hear what the cop has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies