Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 06:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
He was issued in Robbinsdale, which is a suburb of Minneapolis in Hennepin County. But that aside, I made a mistake - I forgot that Minnesota switched from a "may issue" state to a "shall issue" state several years ago, which means the sheriff doesn't have as much discretion as he used to. Now, as long as you meet the requirements, you get your card, period.

However - one of the requirements is that you are not listed in the Minnesota Criminal Gang Investigation database. People who are actively affiliated with gangs usually don't go too many years without having their name find its way into that database. So it's just a little harder for me to reconcile his permit with the narrative that he's an active gangbanger. According to Minnesota law, you are automatically listed in the Criminal gang Investigation System if you meet 3 of the following criteria -

From some of the posts we're seeing, it appears he may have met at least 3 of these criteria. If that's the case, then I find it curious he was issued a CCW permit, because that database is far more often criticized for erring on the side of unfairly naming people as gang members, as opposed to letting possible gang members slip through the cracks.

Something about it just doesn't add up. I imagine it will be explained somehow fairly soon, because I'm sure the police are being asked the same questions we're discussing here. Right now, though, it just seems odd to me.
Why would a guy from St Paul, the city East of Mpls, go all the way to Robbinsdale, a suburb West of Mpls and a 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, to get a CC permit when he could have just gone to Ramsey County, which is where he actually lived and was only 5 minutes from his neighborhood?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:40 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Who did that? Mr. Castile started working at University of Minnesota in December 2013.
Local public school sincre 2002.... ahhhhh the smear campaign continuesssss

Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Why would a guy from St Paul, the city East of Mpls, go all the way to Robbinsdale, a suburb West of Mpls and a 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, to get a CC permit when he could have just gone to Ramsey County, which is where he actually lived and was only 5 minutes from his neighborhood?
Because Robbinsdale was where he was living at the time he applied for the permit.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:56 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Who did that? Mr. Castile started working at University of Minnesota in December 2013.
He worked at another school for 13 or 14 years. Maybe he held two jobs or had a different job during the summers? He also worked at Target.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Wouldn't your typical Crip have an arrest record a little more 'colorful' than minor traffic violations?
Typical gangbangers have photos of large groups dressed in gang colors throwing gang signs, photos of guns and money, etc. Don't see any of those things on Castile's pages. The "gang" he supposedly belonged to is full of dads with kids and jobs.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would still condemn the police officers for pulling him over becuase he had a slim nose.
If the cops were looking for a 6'4" White guy with red hair & a tattoo on his neck, then the police saw a 6'4" White guy with red hair and tattoo on his neck driving down the street, they shouldn't stop him?

Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And if that is all that was said? I don't really expect you to answer a "what if" but we will leave this for the release of the call.
If all the cop had to go on from the bolo alert was black with wide set nose And the taillight was ok, there's a big problem with the stop itself. What happened after the stop is another issue. I tend to be skeptical if any initial eye-witnesses, especially if they have a stake in how events are perceived. Dash or body cam will tell more, if there is any.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Typical gangbangers have photos of large groups dressed in gang colors throwing gang signs, photos of guns and money, etc. Don't see any of those things on Castile's pages. The "gang" he supposedly belonged to is full of dads with kids and jobs.
Why would he post things like "Merry CRIPmas and a happy BLUE year" on his facebook page? Like I said before, if a White guy wrote messages about the Klan, was posing in a Klan robe, or with people in Klan robes and was a member of a Klan facebook group, there's no way people would be arguing he had no affiliation with the Klan.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If all the cop had to go on from the bolo alert was black with wide set nose And the taillight was ok, there's a big problem with the stop itself. What happened after the stop is another issue. I tend to be skeptical if any initial eye-witnesses, especially if they have a stake in how events are perceived. Dash or body cam will tell more, if there is any.
The cop had presumably seen the pics the media broadcast everywhere. The photos appear that both robbers are about 30 y/o. The physical description included what they were wearing, that they were both Black, with dreadlocks, that one had his dreads tucked up in a bun, with facial hair on his chin. Describes Castile almost to a 'T'.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Pathetic character assassination which justifies his murder only to bootlicking authoritarians. If only all gang members held down the same job from their teens to thirties.
Agreed. Its so predictable . His body hasnt been buried yet and the right wing is painting him as a knuckle dragging crack smoking gang member..... shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies