Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times

Advertisements

Put it this way - the police will be bending over backwards to find a way to make this guy look as murky as possible. If there really was any kind of gang affiliation whatsoever, you can damned well bet they're going to make that known. If they can't find anything more substantive than a few Facebook photos, then there probably wasn't anything there to begin with.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They can BUT that isn't the troubling part. What is troubling is that they can profile you and pull you over basically for no other reason than they do not like the way you look.

They will follow you and wait until your tire crosses the center line and bam, they pull you over. You've done nothing actually wrong but you are going to get profiled. I do not find this acceptable.

They can only investigate the crime that they stop you for. Illegally crossing the center line doesn't give them any reason to search your car.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They can only investigate the crime that they stop you for. Illegally crossing the center line doesn't give them any reason to search your car.
Not true. I believe we had this conversation before so I have no desire to do it again.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm going to say something really quick about that distance issue.

Thirty feet is actually just barely enough distance for someone to draw a gun, fire, and stop an assailant before being struck and possibly killed himself. Twenty feet is too close.

An assailant at twenty feet can reach and attack almost anyone whose gun is still holstered. If a citizen with a gun really intends to live, the actual truth is that he needs to have his gun out before an assailant is within 20 feet of him.

Thirty feet is not too far, it's actually about right.
If you are a not a cop and try to apply that in real life, you will serve time. Harold Fish killed an assailant from several feet away and was convicted to 10 years in AZ. He actually served 3 years and died of cancer after his release.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The NRA believes the 2nd Amendment applies to whites only. It is a racist organization. They have not publicly defended Castile's right to carry.
That could not possibly be more wrong.

Sorry Libs... The NRA Was There to Help Blacks Defend Themselves From KKK Democrats, Not the Other Way Around

NRA founded to fight KKK, black leader says | PolitiFact Wisconsin

https://newrepublic.com/article/1123...control-racist

And why would they "publicly defend Castile's right to carry,"
before it is determined by fact that he had a right to carry?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:33 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
If you are a not a cop and try to apply that in real life, you will serve time. Harold Fish killed an assailant from several feet away and was convicted to 10 years in AZ. He actually served 3 years and died of cancer after his release.
That situation is more of a case-by-case basis. I read a few accounts of that case, such as this one, and none of them raised distance as the pertinent factor in the prosecution.

But it's true that there is an ignorance-based bias that someone has to have his hands on you before he becomes a threat. As the video that someone else has posted shows--and anyone can test it for himself--if you've let an assailant come to within 20 feet of you, you'd better be prepared for a hand-to-hand or hand-to-knife fight.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was on a wild goose chase.
If he was on a wild goose chase, he must have stopped a bunch of other black men with wide noses in cars, walking, jogging. after the robbery. Maybe he did and we haven't heard about it yet. Or, you'll hate this, maybe he noticed other matches with the bolo alert and it was a legit stop.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The problem starts with needing a license when it's a right.

Concealed carry is not a right according to current law.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The NRA believes the 2nd Amendment applies to whites only. It is a racist organization. They have not publicly defended Castile's right to carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some real concern when it comes to black gun owners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/us...shootings.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh, leave the NRA alone. There's no sense in making them a part of this story.

The NRA may be ostensibly set up as an organization to defend the rights of all gun owners, but in reality, the NRA is an organization set up ad hoc to defend and promote gun ownership for whites.

They need to just stay out of it and not put on some phony display of concern for the dead kid.
I agree with all of these.

I also am of the belief that the only way that gun reform will occur in America is for more black people to obtain CCWs and open carry where allowed or become legal gun owners in very high numbers in states where it is not.

This was the case in the 1960s/1970s with the original Black Panther Party whereas California changed its gun laws due to being afraid of black men/women armed with guns on the street.

This also has a centuries old historical reference in our country being that even free black people prior to the Civil War were denied the right to be armed by various state/local governments in violation of their 2nd amendment rights, based on "black codes" and other discriminatory laws specific to black people. There was a fear that free blacks in VA would help enslaved blacks with their weapons so they had to get special permission to legally be armed, unlike whites who also had a population sympathetic to the condition of enslaved black people and who also fought, sometimes violently with their weapons to advocate for the end of slavery.

So there is precedence that gun rights are only for white people in this country. IMO it is sad that people ignore this or are ignorant to history and I am not one to spread panic or hysteria in regards to thinking one MUST walk around with firearms for protection, but as a black person, I do think all black people should be armed legally who can be. Even though we have always been the most feared demographic in comparison to whites and others in America, history shows us we are much more likely to be victims of violence both by black and white Americans. We are also a very small minority in the country demographically and there are quite a few it seems, crazy racist-minded whites who are aching for a "race war" and I think the best way to disarm those people are to arm ourselves. Local, state, and federal government will be much more alarmed over us being armed than them due to centuries old false stereotypes of us as "dangerous."

Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with all of these.

I also am of the belief that the only way that gun reform will occur in America is for more black people to obtain CCWs and open carry where allowed or become legal gun owners in very high numbers in states where it is not.

This was the case in the 1960s/1970s with the original Black Panther Party whereas California changed its gun laws due to being afraid of black men/women armed with guns on the street.

This also has a centuries old historical reference in our country being that even free black people prior to the Civil War were denied the right to be armed by various state/local governments in violation of their 2nd amendment rights, based on "black codes" and other discriminatory laws specific to black people. There was a fear that free blacks in VA would help enslaved blacks with their weapons so they had to get special permission to legally be armed, unlike whites who also had a population sympathetic to the condition of enslaved black people and who also fought, sometimes violently with their weapons to advocate for the end of slavery.

So there is precedence that gun rights are only for white people in this country. IMO it is sad that people ignore this or are ignorant to history and I am not one to spread panic or hysteria in regards to thinking one MUST walk around with firearms for protection, but as a black person, I do think all black people should be armed legally who can be. Even though we have always been the most feared demographic in comparison to whites and others in America, history shows us we are much more likely to be victims of violence both by black and white Americans. We are also a very small minority in the country demographically and there are quite a few it seems, crazy racist-minded whites who are aching for a "race war" and I think the best way to disarm those people are to arm ourselves. Local, state, and federal government will be much more alarmed over us being armed than them due to centuries old false stereotypes of us as "dangerous."
Interesting history. I wonder what happened because I've talked to friends whose grandparents said around the time Charlton Heston was involved, the NRA would actually come out and train Black groups about gun use and their 2nd amendment rights. It seems whoever took charge since then has completely flipped the script because as far as I can remember, my perspective of the NRA has always been majority white, hardcore right-wingers.

As for the race war, nobody wants that. Even those who think they want it, they don't realize how much foreign invaders want it too. And they are watching and waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies