Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Interesting history. I wonder what happened because I've talked to friends whose grandparents said around the time Charlton Heston was involved, the NRA would actually come out and train Black groups about gun use and their 2nd amendment rights..

A forgotten bit of history: Charleton Heston was a primary force for civil rights in Hollywood in the early 60s. He locked arms with Martin Luther King, Sidney Poitier, and many others in marches during those years. It was Charleton Heston who single-handedly forced open the behind-the-camera unions in Hollywood to blacks (Spike Lee would not be a film director today if not for Heston).

So your statement does not surprise me.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
I've wondered why the officer continued to keep his gun drawn on Castile and not render aid - as well as telling Diamond Reynolds to keep her hands where he could see them.

In a way, it didn't make sense - Castile doesn't seem to be a threat at this point.

Until I saw the screen captures that point to what may be a gun in Castile's lap.

I've rewatched the video several times, and if that is in fact the gun in Castile's lap, it makes sense that the gun is kept trained on the passengers in the car.

YMMV. But I bet we'll learn more when the dash cam video comes to light.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I does not appear that Diamond "Lavish" Reynolds is a very reliable witness, based on many contradictory statements she has made, and the videos of her smoking pot and acting very strange which keep disappearing from YouTube. There is also the Gofundme page for her in which goal amount keeps increasing.
Unfortunately most everything that we are going on is based on her accounts and when that is the case you need to look at the source.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No thanks. Sitting around a bunch of hayseeds talking about guns isn't exactly my idea of fun.
Ohh look, another person who has no clue about the NRA. I did like the stereotyping though. All blacks are crack dealers on welfare and all Spanish are illegals too, right comrade?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The NRA believes the 2nd Amendment applies to whites only. It is a racist organization. They have not publicly defended Castile's right to carry.

THAT is total nonsense. In the 1800's the NRA fought AGAINST gun laws that prohibited blacks from arming themselves.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with all of these.

I also am of the belief that the only way that gun reform will occur in America is for more black people to obtain CCWs and open carry where allowed or become legal gun owners in very high numbers in states where it is not.

This was the case in the 1960s/1970s with the original Black Panther Party whereas California changed its gun laws due to being afraid of black men/women armed with guns on the street.

This also has a centuries old historical reference in our country being that even free black people prior to the Civil War were denied the right to be armed by various state/local governments in violation of their 2nd amendment rights, based on "black codes" and other discriminatory laws specific to black people. There was a fear that free blacks in VA would help enslaved blacks with their weapons so they had to get special permission to legally be armed, unlike whites who also had a population sympathetic to the condition of enslaved black people and who also fought, sometimes violently with their weapons to advocate for the end of slavery.

So there is precedence that gun rights are only for white people in this country. IMO it is sad that people ignore this or are ignorant to history and I am not one to spread panic or hysteria in regards to thinking one MUST walk around with firearms for protection, but as a black person, I do think all black people should be armed legally who can be. Even though we have always been the most feared demographic in comparison to whites and others in America, history shows us we are much more likely to be victims of violence both by black and white Americans. We are also a very small minority in the country demographically and there are quite a few it seems, crazy racist-minded whites who are aching for a "race war" and I think the best way to disarm those people are to arm ourselves. Local, state, and federal government will be much more alarmed over us being armed than them due to centuries old false stereotypes of us as "dangerous."

Yet you are another example why we should regulate freedom of speech and right to vote. People just believe in crap without even doing any due diligence!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-11-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If he was on a wild goose chase, he must have stopped a bunch of other black men with wide noses in cars, walking, jogging. after the robbery. Maybe he did and we haven't heard about it yet. Or, you'll hate this, maybe he noticed other matches with the bolo alert and it was a legit stop.
Based upon this guy having been ticketed 80 some times with over half the charges simply dropped I bet we are going to find out that indeed, they had a habit of stopping people for the crime of being black.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Based upon this guy having been ticketed 80 some times with over half the charges simply dropped I bet we are going to find out that indeed, they had a habit of stopping people for the crime of being black.
No where does it say he was stopped that many times by the same police department. This guy ran into trouble wherever he went.

Not necessarily a bad guy, but just decided he was not going to comply with the law. Multiple times he was caught speeding, driving without a license, no seat belt, driving without insurance, DUI, broken taillights, etc. In our neighborhood this is just a standard operating procedure for poor Blacks. They refuse to follow the traffic laws, drive very rude, escalate any criticism or police stop. If people don't have their cars in working order or their documents in order, it's hard to claim anything but ignorance on their part.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
No where does it say he was stopped that many times by the same police department. This guy ran into trouble wherever he went.
Nowhere does it say that.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Because it's a joke? Prince Harry was photographed in a Nazi uniform. Nobody assumes he's a Nazi sympathizer.

Aside from "Merry CRIPmas," what other Crip oriented posts did he make? That post was made five years ago. Got something more current?
So if I made a KKK post five years ago, it doesn't count? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies