Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

I lived in a very high crime area for awhile (and also in abject poverty - due entirely to a series of very poor personal choices I made).

I was surrounded by crime and by criminals. Day in and day out. Couldn't wait to get out of there and I did everything in my power to escape that vicious cycle of poverty, crime, and overall dysfunction. I witnessed people making one bad choice after another - not just for years, but for generations.

I determined very quickly that I wasn't going to stay there and I CERTAINLY wasn't going to raise my children in that environment.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I lived in a very high crime area for awhile (and also in abject poverty - due entirely to a series of very poor personal choices I made).

I was surrounded by crime and by criminals. Day in and day out. Couldn't wait to get out of there and I did everything in my power to escape that vicious cycle of poverty, crime, and overall dysfunction. I witnessed people making one bad choice after another - not just for years, but for generations.

I determined very quickly that I wasn't going to stay there and I CERTAINLY wasn't going to raise my children in that environment.
But how good were the police there? Thats the real question

Old 07-09-2016, 10:54 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Just remember just as blacks get tired of being "lumped together" with criminals, and how it is a huge error in logic to blame ALL blacks for the action of a few, in the same way it is absurd to paint all police officers with the same broad brush because of the actions of a few.
Exactly right! It's absurd to kill cops in Dallas for something that a lone cop did 1500 miles away. There will always be bad cops, and bad civilians of any color. Fixing this has to start at the top. We will not fix race relations until we stop listening to, and voting in, race baiting and race relation hating leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Why are you so hung up on hating the police? You failed to recognize the point being made. Your logic is the same as a drunk driver blaming the person he killed for being in his way.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
They had their hands full. Actually I never heard anyone say anything particularly negative about the police force there.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
There is certainly a shortage of cops in Chicago, but there's also so much crime they're constantly being pulled from one incident to the next. They're having to triage the calls because so much is going on - particularly over weekends, and increase that further in the summer and during holiday weekends.

It's so out of control in Chicago that cops won't be able to stop crime until the judicial system does what it's supposed to do and puts criminals behind bars for a long period of time. That's the only way it will work - by cleaning up the streets of those who are committing the crimes instead of not incarcerating them or giving them light sentences, as has been the case, for years.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Why are you so hung up on hating the police? You failed to recognize the point being made. Your logic is the same as a drunk driver blaming the person he killed for being in his way.
If I didn't have to pay for them, I would have nothing to say. The free market could be doing so much better of a job, create so many jobs, put some of the best thinkers in the world on these problems. But NOOOO, we need the government to run things. Even though pretty of amazing evidence that they suck at doing their jobs. The fact that we have "high crime" neighborhoods, despite having a ton of police presence let's you know how much they've failed.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
I'm in favor of removing police from ''high crime areas'' entirely.

Put lots of them on the borders of those areas and let the gladiator games begin.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They had their hands full. Actually I never heard anyone say anything particularly negative about the police force there.
Yes, they have their hands full trying to steal drugs and hand them in to their political overlords. That's like what 90% of cops in the ghetto do now days. The bottomline is that they don't care about crime. That's the meat of the argument.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
I have noticed the huge difference between police defenders, and people like me who despise the idea of the government having a monopoly on authority and violence.

I have actually lived in the projects, was raised them back in the 80s. I have seen first hand how much of a failure the police are. And today in high crime areas, you can almost always link it to police neglect. Police don't actually stop criminals. What happens when a criminal robs you home, and you live in the projects? They tell you to file a police report, it goes into some file, never to be looked at again. What happens when you get robbed? Police will blame you and say "well you shouldn't have been walking around this area at night".

Growing up it was always a given that police sucked. When I worked for the government, and worked closely with the police, I saw the same ol stuff. Police basically protecting the rich, and crapping on the poor. Tons of police response in low crime neighborhoods, but almost zero in high crime neighborhoods.

Police generate revenue for the city or state. And you really don't make the city or state any money when you waste your time going after gang members. If you don't have any drugs you can steal from people in the community, then they're not even worth your time trying to pursue. And that's the real police for you. Police don't care about stopping crime. They just care about stealing drugs from people, blaming victims of crime, and bullying people "just to look busy".

So I'll issue you a challenge. Why don't you actually take some money, rent a spot in a low income, high crime neighborhood. And then evaluate how "great" of a job police are doing. You game?
police are directed by the mayor and elected officials...reconsider your vote next election. Police are the end of the chain of authoriy.....your barking up the wrong tree.

high crime neighborhoods own their own culture, never rat anyone out, results in some 90% of unsolved murders in places like detroit. Gang rule has replaced law and as such police seem to violate gang laws and that is intolerable to the hood.

Why does the government have sole authority???? Perhaps gangs should be in charge of neighborhoods??????

The hood thinks you can legally assault someone if dissed or called a name.

So who isn't carrying an illegal weapon in the projects. Who does most of the violent crime in the projects. wonder no more why your picked on. Feel bad for the innocent folks in the projects but the bad guys are creating that area's reputation. You know how reputations work. Then there is BLM, founded on lies and encourages killing cops. Creates a hypersensitivity, a hair trigger if you prefer.

Work on 'your' reputation so you aren't pre judged as detrmined by common sense.

Bad cops should be punished.

More black lives are saved by cops.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm in favor of removing police from ''high crime areas'' entirely.

Put lots of them on the borders of those areas and let the gladiator games begin.
Yes police should be removed from high crime areas. And they should have the right to hire private police or some sort of security organization. This is a great idea. And it's completely market driven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies