Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I have noticed the huge difference between police defenders, and people like me who despise the idea of the government having a monopoly on authority and violence.

I have actually lived in the projects, was raised them back in the 80s. I have seen first hand how much of a failure the police are. And today in high crime areas, you can almost always link it to police neglect. Police don't actually stop criminals. What happens when a criminal robs you home, and you live in the projects? They tell you to file a police report, it goes into some file, never to be looked at again. What happens when you get robbed? Police will blame you and say "well you shouldn't have been walking around this area at night".

Growing up it was always a given that police sucked. When I worked for the government, and worked closely with the police, I saw the same ol stuff. Police basically protecting the rich, and crapping on the poor. Tons of police response in low crime neighborhoods, but almost zero in high crime neighborhoods.

Police generate revenue for the city or state. And you really don't make the city or state any money when you waste your time going after gang members. If you don't have any drugs you can steal from people in the community, then they're not even worth your time trying to pursue. And that's the real police for you. Police don't care about stopping crime. They just care about stealing drugs from people, blaming victims of crime, and bullying people "just to look busy".

So I'll issue you a challenge. Why don't you actually take some money, rent a spot in a low income, high crime neighborhood. And then evaluate how "great" of a job police are doing. You game?
Here is a novel idea. Why don't you join the force? Make a change. Walk in their shoes for just one year.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Here is a novel idea. Why don't you join the force? Make a change. Walk in their shoes for just one year.
No, I'm not into thuggery in any form. I've stated that I use to work with the city of Atlanta for 3 years in IT, and worked with the finances for the police. Pretty much know where all their effort is going to. no one with any sense or morality would ever be a cop.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:34 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
Pretty much know where all their effort is going to.
Keeping you safe.

Quote:
no one with any sense or morality would ever be a cop.
As a military veteran, you're welcome for your freedom.

And I'm sure a police officer would say, you're welcome for your safety.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Keeping you safe.

No revenue streams for the city. Going into ghettos and stealing drugs and turning them into the local government. Harassing citizens for traffic stops, and charging high fees. Arresting people due to paperwork issues and making arbitary claims that certain fines weren't paid, when they were. Allowing the biggest open air drug market to go on right down the corner from the headquarters.

Yeah that's keep me really safe. All of this is verifiable.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 PM

People who don't believe the cops are just there to generate revenue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Xijtk_ssU

From a former deputy.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not into thuggery in any form. I've stated that I use to work with the city of Atlanta for 3 years in IT, and worked with the finances for the police. Pretty much know where all their effort is going to. no one with any sense or morality would ever be a cop.
I think this is the real issue. Nobody who is liberal-minded and disgusted with our system wants to pitch in and fix it. They just want to throw bottles from the sidelines. They back seat drive, but wouldn't be caught dead behind the wheel. It's not their thing, it's below them, not morally inspiring enough. What exactly do you expect?

There are plenty of officers who make a big difference in crime-ridden areas.
Police revamp policies to change public perceptions - CBS News
They give their entire life trying to connect with people like you.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
No revenue streams for the city. Going into ghettos and stealing drugs and turning them into the local government. Harassing citizens for traffic stops, and charging high fees. Arresting people due to paperwork issues and making arbitary claims that certain fines weren't paid, when they were. Allowing the biggest open air drug market to go on right down the corner from the headquarters.

Yeah that's keep me really safe. All of this is verifiable.
Ying/yang. There is good and bad in every single profession. You'll see what you want to see.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I think this is the real issue. Nobody who is liberal-minded and disgusted with our system wants to pitch in and fix it. They just want to throw bottles from the sidelines. They back seat drive, but wouldn't be caught dead behind the wheel. It's not their thing, it's below them, not morally inspiring enough. What exactly do you expect?

There are plenty of officers who make a big difference in crime-ridden areas.
Police revamp policies to change public perceptions - CBS News
They give their entire life trying to connect with people like you.
I have made suggestions several times. I believe the police force should be privatized.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Ying/yang. There is good and bad in every single profession. You'll see what you want to see.
The amount of cops who do great deeds is tiny compared to cops who just generate revenue for the city. You get rewarded for generating revenue, you rarely get rewarded for doing heroic and great deeds.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
The amount of cops who do great deeds is tiny compared to cops who just generate revenue for the city. You get rewarded for generating revenue, you rarely get rewarded for doing heroic and great deeds.
Welcome to the great capitalist nation. Everything comes down to money. Do you think those guys at Home Goods want to kiss your butt, show you around the store or sell you a Home Goods visa card? Their boss makes them. Same thing everywhere you go. This is America. No other country in the world has a capitalist government like we do that sides with corporations. The cops don't want to just drive around generating revenue either. They'd love to just do their real job. But, they need money to hire and train people. It's not like we give them a lot of money. It's the same with our teachers. We get **** because we pay **** and work it hard.

It's just not enough for some people, it's never enough. Just keep throwing insults from the sidelines and maybe it will at least make you feel better. Won't change anything.
I am surprised that you weren't aware of how America operates until now.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies