Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:17 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I have made suggestions several times. I believe the police force should be privatized.
Quote:
The amount of cops who do great deeds is tiny compared to cops who just generate revenue for the city. You get rewarded for generating revenue, you rarely get rewarded for doing heroic and great deeds.
So you think the police should be privatized, but think the police simply focus on generating revenue? Do you not know what it means to be privatized? It sounds like the police would be better to be reformed because the idea of privatization would be for becoming a for profit system, which would go against this notion that the police would do heroic or great deeds.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So you think the police should be privatized, but think the police simply focus on generating revenue? Do you not know what it means to be privatized? It sounds like the police would be better to be reformed because the idea of privatization would be for becoming a for profit system, which would go against this notion that the police would do heroic or great deeds.
Privatizing does not mean increased costs. It means increased efficiency.
We the people would actually have control over them instead of the other way around. Privatizing allows us to get rid of the undesirables in uniform.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
We the people would actually have control over them instead of the other way around. Privatizing allows us to get rid of the undesirables in uniform.
It also allows the highest bidder in a ghetto to pay them. Namely gangs. It would never work, ever. It's not working for our healthcare, why on earth do you think it would work for police and fire depts.?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I didn't say it means increased costs, I said it means increased profits. Have you ever run a business? The bottom line for any business is profits, privatizing the police would mean their bottom line would be profits. That would result in cutting costs while doing things that produced the highest return to maximize profits.

That is a bad system to have for a police force. Privatizing doesn't mean we can get rid of undesirable cops because they wouldn't be working for us, they would be working for their employers.

Go try to get an employee fired from a private business, it won't be as easy as you think it is.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
I didn't say it means increased costs, I said it means increased profits. Have you ever run a business? The bottom line for any business is profits, privatizing the police would mean their bottom line would be profits. That would result in cutting costs while doing things that produced the highest return to maximize profits.

That is a bad system to have for a police force. Privatizing doesn't mean we can get rid of undesirable cops because they wouldn't be working for us, they would be working for their employers.

Go try to get an employee fired from a private business, it won't be as easy as you think it is.
You can fire the entire police force. So you don't have a point. The idea of privatized police is that it's market driven, and police forces are competing for consumer's money.

Also there hasn't always been a police force throughout American history. The idea of a police came about in 1840. Before then people relied on community policing. And the initial public police were mainly as a security team for the mayor. Which is basically what it is now days

Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
You can fire the entire police force. So you don't have a point. The idea of privatized police is that it's market driven, and police forces are competing for consumer's money.

Also there hasn't always been a police force throughout American history. The idea of a police came about in 1840. Before then people relied on community policing. And the initial public police were mainly as a security team for the mayor. Which is basically what it is now days
OMG! Can you just imagine if America had a private police force and private prisons? 1/2 of America would be in jail within a ten year period. LMAO!!
Already the few private prisons we have load them in. It's all about the bottom line. It's just a really bad idea.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:

If that is the case, I know a few private prisons that need to be fired. Based on your post, it should be super easy to do.

You know, I get why Trump is the frontrunner for the GOP.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
OMG! Can you just imagine if America had a private police force and private prisons? 1/2 of America would be in jail within a ten year period. LMAO!!
Already the few private prisons we have load them in. It's all about the bottom line. It's just a really bad idea.
Seems like we're heading in that direction with our public police force.

Here is an inverview with Dale Brown from Detroit who created his private security. And he has prevented a lot of crime in Detroit. We need innovation like this in security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2IbjhV00as

Old 07-10-2016, 12:51 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
While it would work out well for the elite, you still have not explained how the very poor neighborhoods would pay for a private force.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, I know a few private prisons that need to be fired. Based on your post, it should be super easy to do.

You know, I get why Trump is the frontrunner for the GOP.
Private prisons are managed and protected by the state. They're not accountable to the free market. Private doesn't always mean free market. Something can be private and state protected. When I say "private" I mean "free market"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies