Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:21 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Yes, they have their hands full trying to steal drugs and hand them in to their political overlords. That's like what 90% of cops in the ghetto do now days. The bottomline is that they don't care about crime. That's the meat of the argument.
this really couldn't be farther from the truth. It is what criminals tell their children. It is more like what 5-7% of the bad cops maybe do.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
this really couldn't be farther from the truth. It is what criminals tell their children. It is more like what 5-7% of the bad cops maybe do.
Same percentage as any job in America. Actually, PD's do a much better job weeding out bad personnel.
The overwhelming majority of PD's do an honest day's work and then beyond. They also volunteer more than the average citizen. You are right it's far from the truth and I believe they are just trying to sell something.

I wish them luck but there are better ways of going about it than bashing an entire force to make their ideas about privatization seem better. Lost my respect from the get go.

My advice to the op would be to join an explorer post or a neighborhood watch and try to improve public relations with the police officers we already have. Everyone needs to come half way. You have no respect for the job because you have no idea what it's like to do the job.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
That's just stating that it wasn't fully privatized, but after they got rid of their cops there was STILL a 61% drop in crime. So the fact that the drop happen after much of it was privatized still shows that privatization works. Obviously the only reason why it wasn't fully privatized is probably because their PD didn't want the competition, so they decided to have a working agreement with SEAL. You still can't deny that it's been better overall, and they still haven't debunked the 61% drop AFTER they privatized. The article is just nitpicking the extent of the privatization, not that it didn't work.

Would love to hear you try to come back and say something about Dale Brown's org.
I guess you didn't read my link like I read yours. My link debunks yours because there was never a report that showed crime dropped 61% in Sharpstown. Also Sharpstown didn't have a police force to begin with, so they didn't actually let any police go either.

So try again because Sharpstown doesn't qualify as a private police force. Which cities have switched to a private police force?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:33 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Why are there so many drugs in the ghetto in the first place?"

Look, there are LOTS of problems in ghettos, and the police don't rank among the biggest issues there. The police, crooked or not, do not cause ridiculous high school dropout rates. They don't cause rampant drug use and trade. They don't cause drug dealers and buyers to shoot or stab each other. They don't cause prostitution. They don't cause illegitimate babies. They don't cause a high unemployment rate. They don't cause absent fathers. They don't cause generational poverty.
Very good points, Kathryn. This is why I am very sympathetic towards the police and the job they have to do in those places. I cannot imagine what they have to go through.

I would much rather see police shoot down criminals and thugs when they have to than have those criminals and thugs come anywhere near myself and my middle-class family and bring harm to us. You bet.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It also allows the highest bidder in a ghetto to pay them. Namely gangs.
That doesn't make sense.
Quote:
It would never work, ever.
TWhat proof do you have?

Quote:
It's not working for our healthcare, why on earth do you think it would work for police and fire depts.?
It's not working for healthcare? Costs have skyrocketed since government took over. Government has been the problem all alone.

In 1984, prescription drug monopolies were strengthened during the Reagan Administration after the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act permitted the extension of patents beyond 20 years. (The government has also allowed pharmaceuticals companies to bribe physicians to prescribe more expensive drugs.)

In 2003, prescription drug monopolies were strengthened during the Bush Administration after the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act provided subsidies to the elderly for drugs.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I have noticed the huge difference between police defenders, and people like me who despise the idea of the government having a monopoly on authority and violence.

I have actually lived in the projects, was raised them back in the 80s. I have seen first hand how much of a failure the police are. And today in high crime areas, you can almost always link it to police neglect. Police don't actually stop criminals. What happens when a criminal robs you home, and you live in the projects? They tell you to file a police report, it goes into some file, never to be looked at again. What happens when you get robbed? Police will blame you and say "well you shouldn't have been walking around this area at night".

Growing up it was always a given that police sucked. When I worked for the government, and worked closely with the police, I saw the same ol stuff. Police basically protecting the rich, and crapping on the poor. Tons of police response in low crime neighborhoods, but almost zero in high crime neighborhoods.

Police generate revenue for the city or state. And you really don't make the city or state any money when you waste your time going after gang members. If you don't have any drugs you can steal from people in the community, then they're not even worth your time trying to pursue. And that's the real police for you. Police don't care about stopping crime. They just care about stealing drugs from people, blaming victims of crime, and bullying people "just to look busy".

So I'll issue you a challenge. Why don't you actually take some money, rent a spot in a low income, high crime neighborhood. And then evaluate how "great" of a job police are doing. You game?
Why, well one reason: you can't just rent in a low income, project area unless you qualify. I might ask you the visa versa question: how many relatives and friends do you have who are police officers and what do yo think police should do to better serve the high crime areas?

It starts at home; get the parents to teach kids right from wrong: be there when the kids need attention: set a good example for them. If the parents did a better job, there wouldn't be so much street violence. Just isit or live in a middle class neighborhood, black, white, Hispanic, mixed or whatever: see the difference in the crime: stop blaming the police and start putting the blame where it belongs.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I didn't say it means increased costs, I said it means increased profits. Have you ever run a business? The bottom line for any business is profits, privatizing the police would mean their bottom line would be profits. That would result in cutting costs while doing things that produced the highest return to maximize profits.

That is a bad system to have for a police force. Privatizing doesn't mean we can get rid of undesirable cops because they wouldn't be working for us, they would be working for their employers.

Go try to get an employee fired from a private business, it won't be as easy as you think it is.
You didn't think this through and you made things up. It's not business as usual.
Of course privatization means we can get rid of them. If they don't do their job we fire them. That is something we cannot do now because the system is rigged.
We the people are in charge not government. We are the bosses. We make the rules. Rules like don't arrest anyone for a minor drug offense. Make traffic fines lower. Make it about community policing instead of taking our money.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
OMG! Can you just imagine if America had a private police force and private prisons? 1/2 of America would be in jail within a ten year period. LMAO!!
Already the few private prisons we have load them in. It's all about the bottom line. It's just a really bad idea.
OMG! Can you just imagine if you actually thought this through logically. LMAO!!
Less people would be in jail and minor offenses, where there is no victim, means no jail time. We set the rules, it's not business as usual.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-10-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
While it would work out well for the elite, you still have not explained how the very poor neighborhoods would pay for a private force.
It's not done street by street.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Same percentage as any job in America. Actually, PD's do a much better job weeding out bad personnel.
No they don't. They protect one another behind the thin blue line. You've made some absurd statements in this thread but this one takes the cake. Police weed out the bad ones. LMAO

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of PD's do an honest day's work and then beyond. They also volunteer more than the average citizen. You are right it's far from the truth and I believe they are just trying to sell something.
Is that why they don't turn in the bad cops, because they are honest?

Quote:
I wish them luck but there are better ways of going about it than bashing an entire force to make their ideas about privatization seem better. Lost my respect from the get go.
It's about police brtality that goes unchecked

Quote:
My advice to the op would be to join an explorer post or a neighborhood watch and try to improve public relations with the police officers we already have. Everyone needs to come half way. You have no respect for the job because you have no idea what it's like to do the job.
My advice to you is research before you post. Look up areas that have privatization. We know government is inefficient.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-10-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies