Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He was on the fringe, he didn't attend a mosque, drank alchohol, medicated and he was seeing a psychiatrist. That is not your prototype attackers as in Hebdo and the other attacks. I don't see anything that puts him as a main stream Muslim. He was a crazy person that happened to be Muslim, looked on youtube and found a cause and became radicalized. Let's not confuse this with religious fervor.
Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan did all the same things. Yet he tore up India to form a country for Indian Muslims that is called Pakistan today. His portrait is in every Pakistani currency and Government building. He was a Muslim.

But since he ate pork, drank whiskey, wore suits, owned pet dogs, and wasn't religious, You would claim he wasn't a Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,249 times
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if someone already said this.

First of all, as a Nice and French resident, I would like to thank everyone who had a thought for the victims. I live 100 meters from the promenade and at the very last minute, decided not to go and see the fireworks. I only realized what happened when the interphone (I don't know the english word, it's the phone that you press on outside a building to let someone in) seemed to never end. Of course we opened the door and then stayed, petrified with the screams we could hear. My neighbour who is a doctor (and a muslim imigrant, first generation, if I may say) gave first aide to all the wounded, I tried to help as I could, mostly giving out food, silence and rest.

On why France is so targeted, I believe it's a mix between :

- our military involvment in Mali, Afghanistan (most Americans forget that after 9/11 we were your first and strongest allie to intervene, it's just the Irak war that was wrong).

- assimilation or lack of at least third generation "migrants" (quotation marks because being born here, they ARE French, but it's obvious there is a gap)

- Economics mixed with prejudice. More than 1/3 of people less than 25 years old are unemployed. Even worse when you are muslim (2/3 approximately)

- And something that is not typical to France : if you observe carefully, most of these terrorists are petty criminals looking for some sort of redemption. That's how they are recruited. Often in prison for petty crimes. "You did bad things but can earn back your way to heaven" (then this life you hate will have meaning, therefore you will be important too)

That last point is the reason, I believe, it is so difficult to fight this type of war. It is a new type. Just like 1870/1871 was very different from 1914/1916. Technology strikes. We'll never win this if we keep on thinking it's a "regular" war, one side against another. The problem here is that the ennemy is unidentifiable as a country or a region or else. Not even as a religious affiliation, however people want to simplify this.

Isis is not a country, it's very powerful in that way, because not easy to identify. Remember that there are way more attacks that are avoided thanks to the work of secret services than there are attacks.

Last but not least, I don't know if journalists in the USA use either ISIS/ISIL/DAECH as equivalent.

Our journalists here seem to use any one as an equivalent.

That is not true. ISIS and ISIL pretend to have a legitimity as a state (islamic state) which they don't. They HATE the word DAECH because it's one of the worst insult in arabian. It means they are "dogs from hell" when pronouced the way we do.

It's DAECH we're fighting, and we're definitely all included on that.

Last edited by personne; 07-18-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Too bad we didn't have the balls to elect leaders that would nip it in the bud before it got this out of hand. You don't see this stuff happening in Russia
True, Russia does it all, no victims there, just agressors

Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if someone already said this.

First of all, as a Nice and French resident, I would like to thank everyone who had a thought for the victims. I live 100 meters from the promenade and at the very last minute, decided not to go and see the fireworks. I only realized what happened when the interphone (I don't know the english word, it's the phone that you press on outside a building to let someone in) seemed to never end. Of course we opened the door and then stayed, petrified with the screams we could hear. My neighbour who is a doctor (and a muslim imigrant, first generation, if I may say) gave first aide to all the wounded, I tried to help as I could, mostly giving out food, silence and rest.

On why France is so targeted, I believe it's a mix between :

- our military involvment in Mali, Afghanistan (most Americans forget that after 9/11 we were your first and strongest allie to intervene, it's just the Irak war that was wrong).

- assimilation or lack of at least third generation "migrants" (quotation marks because being born here, they ARE French, but it's obvious there is a gap)

- Economics mixed with prejudice. More than 1/3 of people less than 25 years old are unemployed. Even worse when you are muslim (2/3 approximately)

- And something that is not typical to France : if you observe carefully, most of these terrorists are petty criminals looking for some sort of redemption. That's how they are recruited. Often in prison for petty crimes. "You did bad things but can earn back your way to heaven" (then this life you hate will have meaning, therefore you will be important too)

That last point is the reason, I believe, it is so difficult to fight this type of war. It is a new type. Just like 1870/1871 was very different from 1914/1916. Technology strikes. We'll never win this if we keep on thinking it's a "regular" war, one side against another. The problem here is that the ennemy is unidentifiable as a country or a region or else. Not even as a religious affiliation, however people want to simplify this.

Isis is not a country, it's very powerful in that way, because not easy to identify. Remember that there are way more attacks that are avoided thanks to the work of secret services than there are attacks.

Last but not least, I don't know if journalists in the USA use either ISIS/ISIL/DAECH as equivalent.

Our journalists here seem to use any one as an equivalent.

That is not true. ISIS and ISIL pretend to have a legitimity as a state (islamic state) which they don't. They HATE the word DAECH because it's one of the worst insult in arabian. It means they are "dogs from hell" when pronouced the way we do.

It's DAECH we're fighting, and we're definitely all included on that.
I for one am glad you're ok and very sad that you had to endure/see the things you did that will stay with you forever more.
I'm sure this won't be the last time we have to face these barbarians but I do feel we as a world will win in the end.
Stay safe and take care!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The guy viewed lots of ISIS murder videos prior to this act. He also had evidence on his phone that he was a bisexual. He was a petty criminal. He was very Westernized. He was mentally unstable, with anger issues. This is exactly the type that ISIS is attractive too, a person born into the Muslim faith who has strayed over the years. They offer instant forgiveness by waging jihad on infidels.

The woman in Belgium killed in her apartment after the Paris attacks in November was the same - born Muslim who slept around and did drugs. Then she helped people carry out the murders of 130 people, for ISIS.

Who else but the mentally ill would be attracted to an organization that promises them they can commit rape, torture, and murder against fellow human beings and be rewarded for it in Heaven?
Yep.

Posters like Goodnight inadvertently help ISIS. By willfully refusing to admit reality we can't solve any problems.

The guy was radicalized quickly. He watched ISIS propaganda online. He was a troubled soul in part, because he did things acceptable in western society, but demonized in MUSLIM society. ISIS offered him solace from his troubles...instant heaven, instant virgins...instant forgiveness for your sins against Islam....strike out and kill the infidels and everything is right.

Literal interpretations of Islamic holy texts enabled this mass killing, period. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:25 PM

477 posts, read 314,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hahaha, fantastic fictional story.
Yet ANOTHER terrorist incident in Munich, Germany! Multiple people dead, 3 suspects currently on the run AND all American citizens are advised to stay indoors there. Funny, this is ACTUALLY happening in liberal, progressive Germany where there are VERY strict gun laws!

When will liberal-progressive's EVER learn that their philosophy, approach and policies to terror will NOT keep us safe? You people are going to get a lot of people killed if we continue to go with your approach to things. Let me guess... you are going to argue and tell me why I'm wrong again, right? That's okay THEFRAGILE... every frickin' time there is an incident like this, I'm going come back to THIS thread and let you know about it. You can keep arguing with me so that people can see how blind you are to what's going on. Maybe, one day liberals will wake up! That or they will be in body bags.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM

477 posts, read 314,754 times
Hillary clinton is the next Angela Merkel and she's going to get ppl killed. Like the above^^. #I'mNOTwithher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies