Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training ...
Sorry, I think I cut some of your quote off. I am posting from my phone and can't undo.

The most important thing is to talk to people who are listening. You can't convince fundamentalist creationists about evolution or that there was no worldwide flood, because they aren't listening. You can talk to people who believe up is down all day long and just drive yourself crazy.

I agree that there needs to be significant reform in drug law, police authority, and for-profit prison industry. There are too many videos of people minding their open business being harassed, manhandled, brutalized, and killed by police. Legal protesters roughed up and arrested by a domestic military force. It disgusts me that so much injustice is tolerated and defended, and that speaking out about it is deflected with #NotAllCops and stories about good police officers.

I expect there will be more demonstrations, because tensions are worsening. My solution is less white talking, more white listening. Prosecute officers who do the things we witness and quit excusing them.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Get the Black folks that Care about peace, law, and order to stage anti-BLM protests, to show that the Black communities have not declared war on all Police, instead of letting BLM represent you. Until then, Every Cop in the Nation should look upon all Black people as a possible threat, that could just lose it and start killing Police.

I was around for the Civil unrest in the 60s and have seen what can happen, and how people thought of each other, and I see it today, going backwards, MLK must be spinning in his grave.

Uh....that has been the case since the end of slavery. Society has always feared revolt or the "payback" from the black population. Which is why the larger society has always given the police the leverage of being above the law....in order to keep that payback from happening.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:48 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh....that has been the case since the end of slavery. Society has always feared revolt or the "payback" from the black population. Which is why the larger society has always given the police the leverage of being above the law....in order to keep that payback from happening.
Which law are you citing? The one which enables cops to be "above the law to quell black uprisings"??? SMHL

Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
while we're at it do you think you all could curb your behavior too?
All of us aren't criminals wtf? My goodness some of these comments.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
First off blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. 6.5 percent of the population (male blacks) commit approximately 50% of murders in this country. They also commit more violent crimes than any other race respective to their population. Most police incidents that have become problems are because they chose to fight the cops or just don't do what they are asked to do.
I've posted videos that counter that overused rhetoric you're spewing, check them out.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 AM

222 posts, read 185,741 times
Quote:
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30tT93FChQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdZ8x6nc1k

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.

Ihavent read all the replies here. But I've asked this in other threads and I'll ask it here - who is WE? I'm African American. I'm between 18 and 35. I grew up in the south side of Chicago. I live in the south Bronx. I'm hood af. I've been driving since 2008 and since 2008 I've had the darkest possible tints on my cars. I also knew that because of that if get these dark ass tints I'll be getting stopped frequently. And I've probably been stopped on average about 4 times a year because of that. The most I've walked away with was a ticket and not even every time (maybe 4-5 tickets for tints) Have I encountered ass hole cops? Yeah. But I've also been stopped for my tints with NO LICENSE or a SUSPENDED LICENSE (failure to pay ticket for tints lol) and the cop let me go.

So you can't say all cops treat us ALL differently. Now I have those in my family who feel this way. However we have been the victims of gun violence (3 cousins killed by gang and gun violence ). Never at the hands of a cop. None of my family even has a story of being mistreated by a cop (my uncle goes back to a time in 1972 when a cop called him an N in front of his son).

But there's always three sides to a story. Your side. My side. And reality.

Question: what incentive is there for cops to treat African Americans worse than anyone else?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I've posted videos that counter that overused rhetoric you're spewing, check them out.
Videos or verified statistics from the FBI?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Oh wow, you've found a couple. Should we also post all of them where it's the opposite and would you say that your rhetoric you are spewing has been countered?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30tT93FChQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdZ8x6nc1k

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
Men get treated differently than women by law enforcement, in fact, there are ten men incarcerated in this country for every one woman.

Is law enforcement sexist too?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh wow, you've found a couple. Should we also post all of them where it's the opposite and would you say that your rhetoric you are spewing has been countered?
If it makes you happy, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies