Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Like I said we need to lessen goverment dependency due to welfare and legalize marijuana solve a lot of the issues
Drug use will solve our country's ills?

That is an answer from people who escape reality....

But heck yes reduce
Welfare
Social services
Tax credits
Special dispensation for anything
fake social security disability awards
Child tax credits
Social justice movements

And the zillion other things government does to keep people happy...and maybe high... A toked out population is easily controlled... One slave master for another..to be controlled by some ego filled politician

If you take anything from the government then you are part of the problem

And if you're black and not changing your community ...not the system but your community for the better then you hold a false and hollow narrative

How many times have you gone on a ride along.... In the front seat I mean? In my career people would come away with an entirely different lense

Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Drug use will solve our country's ills?

That is an answer from people who escape reality....

But heck yes reduce
Welfare
Social services
Tax credits
Special dispensation for anything
fake social security disability awards
Child tax credits
Social justice movements

And the zillion other things government does to keep people happy...and maybe high... A toked out population is easily controlled... One slave master for another..to be controlled by some ego filled politician

If you take anything from the government then you are part of the problem

And if you're black and not changing your community ...not the system but your community for the better then you hold a false and hollow narrative
Less blacks in jail and less blacks in poverty. Less blacks commuting crimes because in poverty and over time middle class will grow. As middle class grows and cops not focused on drug bust work with the community. As more people in the middle class escape the world of drug and crime theoretically will be more involved and aware of community issues.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Less blacks in jail and less blacks in poverty. Less blacks commuting crimes because in poverty and over time middle class will grow. As middle class grows and cops not focused on drug bust work with the community. As more people in the middle class escape the world of drug and crime theoretically will be more involved and aware of community issues.
Absolutely agree in theory

Absolutely disagree in reality

As a country we've bern doing this en masse since Johnson waged the ear on poverty and pumped billions into programs for the poor...

One thing works
Training
Jobs
Parents..both of them.. who actually know who their children are

No magic bullet...just a good mix of the above

Well..maybe a healthy dose of birth control and forced sterilization of felons...that would break the cycle...
And LESS drugs..of all kinds

Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes. There is a tendency to prejudge black people. "What are THEY doing in THIS neighborhood"?

Well, I will use myself as an example. I am a black woman. College educated. Raised in a 2 parent home. Grow up in an upper middle class black neighborhood in Los Angeles. Attended private schools my entire life. My parents bought me a BMW for my 18th birthday. When I was 19 I was stopped and harassed twice by the police. Not for speeding. Not for making illegal turns and failing to stop or running a red light. But I was stopped and questioned at length basically about how I (a young black woman attending university) could afford a BMW. During the "interrogations" I remained cordial but frustrated and annoyed. I received a bogus ticket for one of the stops that I fought in court (it was thrown out by the judge).

If I been a 19 yr. white woman the assumption would have been that I was just a spoiled co-ed driving a nice BMW. But I COULDN'T just be a cute spoiled co-ed because the assumption is that blacks are all criminals. It is MUCH worse for young black men.
While, I agree with your sentiment in general, I do think cops need to be trained and taught to understand the natural inclination to use implicit judgments, which leads to implicit racism, how much of this do you think was being a teen driving a nice car and how much do you think was being black? I had wealthier friends when I was in High School and we were pulled over several times and treated like crap by the cops. They ran the plates to see if the car was stolen several times. We were just teenage white dudes getting food on a Friday night after playing hockey.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:12 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
while we're at it do you think you all could curb your behavior too?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
I believe some blacks are hypersensitive and become violent when there is an interaction with the police. This could very well be the end result of a lifetime of perceived oppression. I have seen this confrontational posture many times in a large variety of situations.

I was once confronted by an angry black woman with ZERO provocation form my part. I think this is the end result of a lifetime of experiencing racism (whether real or perceived does not matter).

By the same token cops are hypersensitive to violent resistance by black people because they are tired of dealing with the same issue 24/7. Just ask anyone who is a cop.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
All cops should not only undergo extensive psychological screening before hiring and periodically, they should also be screened out if they display racial biases, using a test like this for example:

UnderstandingPrejudice.org: Implicit Association Test
I taught the psychology of prejudice and discrimination at the university level for several years. I had all of my students take these implicit association tests. We did both the black/white and male/female one's. Guess what we found and what the research has found? Most people have implicit biases. This includes minorities. Blacks often have implicit biases against blacks according to these tests and women often have implicit biases against women. It's the nature of our culture. If you screened people out based on these results you would have very few qualified officers, especially when you factor in all of the other qualifications these officers need to have.

Having said that I do see this as being beneficial when it comes to training. Helping educate officers (and people in general) that implicit racism/sexism/judgment in general is actually "normal" is the first step. The second step is getting people to understand that acknowledging it in the situation can help a person focus on their behavior and how it may be perceived by the person on the receiving end.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Absolutely agree in theory

Absolutely disagree in reality

As a country we've bern doing this en masse since Johnson waged the ear on poverty and pumped billions into programs for the poor...

One thing works
Training
Jobs
Parents..both of them.. who actually know who their children are

No magic bullet...just a good mix of the above

Well..maybe a healthy dose of birth control and forced sterilization of felons...that would break the cycle...
And LESS drugs..of all kinds

I like this, and it would work regardless of the skin color.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I taught the psychology of prejudice and discrimination at the university level for several years. I had all of my students take these implicit association tests. We did both the black/white and male/female one's. Guess what we found and what the research has found? Most people have implicit biases. This includes minorities. Blacks often have implicit biases against blacks according to these tests and women often have implicit biases against women. It's the nature of our culture. If you screened people out based on these results you would have very few qualified officers, especially when you factor in all of the other qualifications these officers need to have.

Having said that I do see this as being beneficial when it comes to training. Helping educate officers (and people in general) that implicit racism/sexism/judgment in general is actually "normal" is the first step. The second step is getting people to understand that acknowledging it in the situation can help a person focus on their behavior and how it may be perceived by the person on the receiving end.
I agree!

But, the issue is cloudy because quite often stereotypes are based on reality. This reality may not apply to all subjects, but it is present in some.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30tT93FChQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdZ8x6nc1k

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
As a young white man I certainly agree that I was harassed constantly by the cops. Of course back then I hated cops, dealt drugs, dabbled in prostitution, and listed to rap music very loudly. Now that I've become more or less a model citizen and wiser in years, I no longer constantly get harassed by the cops, thrown in jail, ticketed etc..

This is not a color or race issue, it's a behavior issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies