Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because no intelligent person thinks mental unstable folks should be allowed to own firearms.

Why do you not care about the destructive power of allowing everyone to own a fire arm? Your priorities are backwards. Go live in Latin America if you enjoying going about your business with armed individuals everywhere, most of us prefer law and order.
Nobody disagree with you on that point; however, I am asking why you allow mentally unstable people to roam around and trust them with every other kind of lethal weapon, some far more dangerous than guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I suppose we can hand a gun to every illegal, refugee, and felon.
1. Illegals shouldn't be allowed to stay in this country. We have a federal government bowing to the Democrat party and refusing to secure our board. No country in the world has illegal immigration problem like us.
2. I don't think we should allow refugees - establish a safe refugee camp in their countries.
3. Felons who have served their time should have their rights restored. So yes, I support them to own firearms - if you don't think they should, we shouldn't let them out in the first place, which is the point of this thread.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No question some get guns from other sources but using that logic a rather large number of laws are useless. Tough to prove what is an unknown but is undeniable that the law prevents felons and others from gun ownership. I guess they could always go to a relative or one of the other loopholes like online sales that some so ardently support, or we could have real reform.
40% of criminals get their guns from straw purchase - asking their girlfriends and mothers to buy for them. Background check works wonder here.

A simple law that requires a mandatory additional 10-20 years without parole for anybody committing a felony with any arm would drop gun crime to next to nothing.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
haha no.
a govt agent giving you an order is an edict and it matters little if it came from the individual officers or higher up the food chain. And you have no proof it didn't.
You can read into the incident if you like, but Katrina is old news, those cops were unauthorized to confiscate any weapons.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, why can't people be honest? I am so tired of hearing lies after lies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ilian_firearms
"Controversy arose over a September 8 city-wide order by New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass to local police, U.S. Army National Guard soldiers, and Deputy U.S. Marshals to confiscate all civilian-held firearms. .... Seizures were carried out without warrant, and in some cases with excessive force"
And he did so illegally. No one told him that was okay to do. Also the superintendent is still a local officer acting outside of the law. Why do you have to ignore that important fact?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
40% of criminals get their guns from straw purchase - asking their girlfriends and mothers to buy for them. Background check works wonder here.

A simple law that requires a mandatory additional 10-20 years without parole for anybody committing a felony with any arm would drop gun crime to next to nothing.
Yes the problem with straw purchases is a large issue, it's not very helpful that gangs can set someone up to buy multiple guns from dealers. The penalties should be stiffer but I don't think that it matters much to people that plan on murder. Also should be stiff penalties for careless securing of guns, some very irresponsible gun owners not to mention dealers.

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-25-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes the problem with straw purchases is a large issue, it's not very helpful that gangs can set someone up to buy multiple guns from dealers. The penalties should be stiffer but I don't think that it matters much to people that plan on murder. Also should be stiff penalties for careless securing of guns, some very irresponsible gun owners not to mention dealers.
Straw purchase is highly illegal yet the government does nothing.

What does straw purchase have anything to do with storing guns?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Nobody disagree with you on that point; however, I am asking why you allow mentally unstable people to roam around and trust them with every other kind of lethal weapon, some far more dangerous than guns?
Let them roam around? That requires healthcare and republicans have not offered any solutions or care to expand Medicaid.

Which other lethal weapons are more dangerous than guns?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Straw purchase is highly illegal yet the government does nothing.

What does straw purchase have anything to do with storing guns?
Sounds like gun owners need to start to pony up fees to pay for more enforcement officers and better mental health coverage.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
I got a permit last week to purchase a handgun last week. It took 4 days for the sheriffs office to check my record, cost me $5, and good for 5 years to purchase. None of my friends didnt have what I wanted. Im not about to go looking to buy from some one I dont know, roll up. them knowing I have money with me. I will buy new. I dont mind having to get a permit to purchase, as long as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies