Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Time for a gun tax.

Cannot tax rights. Sales tax is not even collected on firearm sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
That has already been addressed, it was local police acting with no authority to confiscate guns. It is no different than a local police officer blatantly murdering a person. Some cops are bad and abuse their powers, but no government agency ordered guns to be confiscated after Katrina.

Are you not armed with all of the facts, or are you lying?

Quote:
As reported by the Washington Post, New Orleans Superintendent P. Edwin Compass made clear, "No one will be able to be armed,” and, “Guns will be taken. Only law enforcement will be allowed to have guns."
Quote:
City authorities were selective with their order, discriminating against the most vulnerable. The Times noted that the city’s order “apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property… Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons."
Quote:
In a 2006 interview with local radio station WWL, New Orleans Superintendent Warren Riley said, “During a circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns…as law enforcement officers we will confiscate the weapon if a person is walking down the street and they may be arrested.”
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...ned-in-america

Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Are you not armed with all of the facts, or are you lying?

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...ned-in-america
Where am I lying? I said that he did something that was against the law and he acted without advisory of anyone above him. Sure, you can always find a rogue cop doing something that they aren't suppose to do, we see that when a cop murders an innocent person, so it doesn't surprise me when a superintendent like this also breaks the law to do something like this.

Katrina was a long time ago, I am sure you can still buy and own guns in New Orleans.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A lil` mix of diesel from my truck and some fertilizer from the barn......
So you'd be more concerned about crazy folks making bombs over shooting folks, Mr. Hat?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Could anybody help me to understand why people don't realize this?......

EH!

Maybe yes, maybe no.

What I like is that I can walk in, browse, select, hand over my CHL while I am filling out the form, pay my cash, and walk out the door with a new item for the armory.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
They should limit the amount of guns purchased over a time period and track the purchases from multiple gun stores, under present laws that is forbidden.

People purchase guns and they become "lost", thousands of guns go missing. Buy a gun give it to a felon and report it missing, 200,000 guns missing or stolen last year.
Why does every idea from you attempt to restrict law abiding citizens?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Time for a gun tax.
Let's tax medications a bit more while we're at it.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
The statement was that NICS doesn't work now you are presenting a different argument The number who are denied a license is closer to 80,000 and the point you are missing is that their application never gets into the system. Dealers are told to immediately turn away an applicant if they acknowledge a past conviction, applicants that lie on the application that travels through the federal system are in fact prosecuted but it is a very small number, around 40 in the year referenced in the article below.

Putting that aside 80,000 are prevented from getting a gun so the system does work.

Attached argument is exactly what Kelly Ayotte brought up.

Most people trying to buy a gun illegally are never prosecuted, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte says | PolitiFact New Hampshire
No it doesn't. Do we have to rehash that again? They can turn right around and get the parts to do it in an hour.

Unless ya'all think an AR put together in an hour isn't a gun. I'm surprised the other 80K just didn't skip the DROS attempt and do it that way first.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM

76 posts, read 56,809 times
The problem is that a BGC in and of itself is not really a problem, its that the Dems use it as back door gun control. They want to close the so called Charleston loop hole. That is that if the BGC comes back as delayed then they have 3 days to give a ruling or it default goes through. The problem is that if you make it indefinite than the BGC and get pigeon holed indefinitely. If you give the Fed that kind of power they will abuse it. Also the denying of due process of someone put on the no fly list. If they are not allowed to fly why are they walking around free? There have been cases such as Ted Kennedy who was on these lists. If you give the fed that kind of power it will be abused and its another chipping away of the constitution. Due process is a founding principal. To just put someone on a list and deny them rights is not constitutional.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Where am I lying? I said that he did something that was against the law and he acted without advisory of anyone above him. Sure, you can always find a rogue cop doing something that they aren't suppose to do, we see that when a cop murders an innocent person, so it doesn't surprise me when a superintendent like this also breaks the law to do something like this.

Katrina was a long time ago, I am sure you can still buy and own guns in New Orleans.

You are lying because you said and I quote:

Quote:
So either you missed my point or you are pretending to not understand what I said, so you simply twist my words to what I didn't say.

A local officer doing something he shouldn't isn't the same as a local officer doing something he is ordered to do from a state or federal government.

No one ordered guns to be confiscated after Katrina, that was nothing more than some officers acting poorly and doing something they were not suppose to do.

Is the superintendent of the city police not a representative of the municipal government? He gave the order!

Now years later, they were still not repenting.

"In the years that followed, New Orleans officials were unrepentant. In a 2006 interview with local radio station WWL, New Orleans Superintendent Warren Riley said, “During a circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns…as law enforcement officers we will confiscate the weapon if a person is walking down the street and they may be arrested.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies