Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 10:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, he "looks" Hispanic. In that area, big deal, that doesn't mean much.
The first time I asked my first ex-wife to skate at the Burlington Roller Frolic, she says she nearly refused because she thought I was a Mexican field hand. Actually, I had a dark tan from working on the flight line at NAS Whidbey Island (Ault Field). Many of her friends thought I was Mexican, too.
Sad that they couldn't tell the difference between a tanned Caucasian Sailor and a Mexican field hand....
I heard the perp was "armed and dangerous", then I heard that he left the rifle on the counter in Macy's. Whatever, I hope they catch him soon.
To be fair: a Mexican citizen can be of any "race". Not all of their kind are dark skin mixed race Indians, some are Black and some are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 11:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Why oh why am I not surprised that he's Turkish?

I didn't think he "looked Hispanic" when I saw his pics last night.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post

From his face, he can be Indian, Pakistani, Arab, Italian or Hispanic. How can they be so sure about him being Hispanic unless they heard him shouting in Spanish??
Well, the first time I saw his picture, I thought to myself, "Hispanic? He doesn't look like Hispanic people around here." I live in Texas. I thought from the start that he looked Middle Eastern. AND SURPRISE (not) - He's Turkish!

What an amazing and unprecedented coincidence.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Turns out he's a Turkish Immigrant.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/24/suspect...-long-manhunt/

Old 09-24-2016, 11:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, the first time I saw his picture, I thought to myself, "Hispanic? He doesn't look like Hispanic people around here." I live in Texas. I thought from the start that he looked Middle Eastern. AND SURPRISE (not) - He's Turkish!

What an amazing and unprecedented coincidence.
I live in Southern CA, I can tell very easily the difference between a Latino and someone of Middle Eastern descent, since both are quite prevalent here.

Even with the fuzzy picture he didn't look Hispanic.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I live in Southern CA, I can tell very easily the difference between a Latino and someone of Middle Eastern descent, since both are quite prevalent here.

Even with the fuzzy picture he didn't look Hispanic.
Exactly!

I even told my best friend earlier today, "Watch and see - that mall shooter is going to be Middle Eastern. Wait for it...wait for it..." BAM.

Un freaking believable. Well, actually - quite believable.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Thanks, but I dont need a gun. I changed my mind.
Nice that you have a choice. Think about that

Old 09-25-2016, 12:09 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Hispanics and Arabs are pan ethnic peoples who are united by a language and culture. Many hispanics are whiter then Greeks, Italians, and French people and some arent. My daughters best friend is Egyptian and is blond and blue eyed. So we dont need to generalize. I have been to Spain and Italy and Italians often are dark whites. Spaniards often whiter then Italians and Greeks. The Mediterranean region is a mixture of ethnic groups including Arabs, Moors, Turks, Sub saharan blacks, along with Roman, Celtic, and other European groups. Generalizing often leads to mistakes.
Yes, I know that Hispanic and Arab are language/culture groups that include the gamut from black to white in appearance, but you are completely missing the point of this thread. People are asking if he is a non-white, mestizo Hispanic or a non-white, Arab practitioner of Islam because in case you hadn't noticed, Americans are sick of murders committed by people not here legally or by people for religious reasons. Our own murderers are bad enough--we don't need to import others. And let's stick to likely demographic groups in the Seattle area of the United States. He doesn't look sub-Saharan black or Roman (do they still have an empire? I didn't get the memo) or Celtic for godssakes. We don't need an anthropological treatise on every single tribe from Spain to the Sahara to Mt. Ararat to talk about this guy.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:17 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why oh why am I not surprised that he's Turkish?

I didn't think he "looked Hispanic" when I saw his pics last night.
I didn't either, but I suppose in the chaos and confusion, if you're running away and just see someone from afar you'd tell the police you saw a guy with black hair and beige/light brown complexion and they draw conclusions from that, based on who populates the area.

I'm glad they finally nabbed his butt.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:24 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Islam is a universal religion like Christianity and therefore has adherents of all different races and phenotypes.

Sure, certain ethnicities and nationalities tend to be Muslim (or Catholic like Mexicans and Polish people) like black Mandigo or white Albanians. But bear in mind most Arabs in the US are Eastern Rite Catholics. Most are of Lebanese decent. Most your Arab Palestinians in the US are Muslim though.

Point being that most Arabs in the US are not Muslim but worship Christ as the second person of the trinity.

The largest Muslim country in the world is not even Arab. It's Indonesia I believe which is in what... Southeast Asia. They do the martial art Silat which has some similarities to Filipino martial arts. I'm impressed by some of that so it sticks in my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies