Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 05:38 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The militia aspect of the second amendment makes no sense. Every so often a militia strikes up in the red states and they end up being killed or in jail. Also the infringement part is not absolute and up to interpretation. Allowing people to keep handguns and hunting weapons is not infringing of their right to own a gun.
Well yes it doesn't make sense to most people.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
An AR 15 is a hunting rifle.
Well yes great rifle for people that are sub par, great for deer hunting.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Look into what happened in Australia. The firearms confiscated there were legal, until they weren't. Models such as Remington 870 and 1100, Mossberg 500, Browning Silver models were made illegal overnight.

The three or four above are some of the best selling shotguns in the US, used by generations of hunters.

Secretary Clinton has stated she would support an Australian style gun control law.
But she won't come to your home and personally take your gun. So Hillary is not going to take your guns away.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:13 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Actually no. The most common caliber is not permitted in some states for deer. What it is good for is varmint hunting, especially coyote.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good for coyotes and feral hogs.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually no. The most common caliber is not permitted in some states for deer. What it is good for is varmint hunting, especially coyote.
You can't even deer hunt in my state with a rifle. Shotgun slug, muzzle loader, and I think there's a short hand gun season and bow only. That's probably more of a safety issue since otherwise there are no state gun restrictions really, but if hunting guns were to be the standard we'd be left with muzzle loaders and magazine restricted shotguns, maybe long barrel magnum revolvers if were lucky .

Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You can't even deer hunt in my state with a rifle. Shotgun slug, muzzle loader, and I think there's a short hand gun season and bow only. That's probably more of a safety issue since otherwise there are no state gun restrictions really, but if hunting guns were to be the standard we'd be left with muzzle loaders and magazine restricted shotguns, maybe long barrel magnum revolvers if were lucky .
That's what's funny in Maryland, too. You can't use rifles in most of the state but can if you're hunting coyotes.

I don't deer hunt so it doesn't really impact me. Banning my Browning Silver would.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
I own guns.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?
I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....
Seminole and you don't own a gun? Really?

You won't shoot yourself. You go to a class, you learn. You go to the range, you learn. You don't just buy a gun and keep it around the house, you have to actually know how to use one BEFORE you buy one.

Once you learn, and you get used to it, get good at making tight shot groups, you will wonder why you didn't have one before.

You don't "need" one...sure, if you want to wait for the police to show up when there's a burglar breaking in...just remember, the police are not there to stop crime, they are there to pick up the pieces and make reports when it's all over.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Seminole and you don't own a gun? Really?

You won't shoot yourself. You go to a class, you learn. You go to the range, you learn. You don't just buy a gun and keep it around the house, you have to actually know how to use one BEFORE you buy one.

Once you learn, and you get used to it, get good at making tight shot groups, you will wonder why you didn't have one before.
Why? I can shoot. I first went hunting when I was 10. (I"m 55 now). I fully support the 2nd even beyond what the Supreme Court supports but I don't own one and really don't have a desire for one.

Quote:
You don't "need" one...sure, if you want to wait for the police to show up when there's a burglar breaking in...just remember, the police are not there to stop crime, they are there to pick up the pieces and make reports when it's all over.
I live in an extremely low crime area. I think there has been two murders here in like 100 plus years. One was just a family spat. Even if I lived in Chicago, it's none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies