Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,973 times

Advertisements

I own several. Some I inherited, and some I purchased.

Most are 22LR, muskets, or shotguns just for target shooting. I do quite a bit of shooting in the summer when the weather is nice.

I have a few for hunting despite the fact that I haven't gone hunting in a long time. I inherited all of these.

I have a couple handguns for home defense or camping. One little pocket .32 and one full sized 9mm.

I Also have an AK47 with a few thousand rounds sealed in tins locked in a foot locker with survival supplies in my basement. I inherited this one too, but I purchased the ammo for it and the survival supplies. It's not something I would sell, but I have no real need for it up here in WA. With that being said, it was a nice insurance policy when I lived on on the Gulf, especially after Katrina.

I'm not big on these types of rifles and question if the general public should even be able to own them, but in a bad situation with multiple bad people and no cops to even call, these guns do serve a legit purpose in the civilian world outside of protection from tyranny.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM

39,238 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?.
I am a legal gun owner. My parents, both brothers, have guns. My sister-in-law is a liberal, she hates gun, but loves my brother. So she tolerates the guns. Like several CD posters already mentioned, it depends on how you were raised. I've always been around guns. Grandparents from both sides had guns. Parents love guns. Brothers love love love the guns. I am not crazy about guns like my brothers, but i love practicing. Hope never have to use them though.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The militia aspect of the second amendment makes no sense. Every so often a militia strikes up in the red states and they end up being killed or in jail. Also the infringement part is not absolute and up to interpretation. Allowing people to keep handguns and hunting weapons is not infringing of their right to own a gun.
You appear to be avoiding the question RE "Military style"?? As a point for my position, take a look at a one of the most common bolt action rifles today. The Remington 700 BDL is in fact a Military style weapon in the it is a direct decedent of the ubiquitous Mauser 98 action. It has as much in common as does a DPMS ar-15 has to a Colt M4. SO when you make statements implying we ban all military style firearms so can see people take offense...

Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
No I an not a weapons connoisseur. but I do know that when the constitution was written we didn't have semiautomatic weapons. What people here are doing is convincing me that perhaps it is good to do away with the 2nd amendment.
LOL!!! Sorry, I can't stand the ignorance.

Semi automatic and fully automatic weapons are very popular during the time the constitution was written. How do I know? Because those stupid gun nuts founding fathers actually passed a provision in Congress to purchase a bunch of them!

Meriwether Lewis actually brought a different kind of semi-auto to his expedition. You do know who Mr. Lewis was right? His rifle could easily fire 20 in one sitting.

Here. Watch this and read all the reference in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquUBWHU2_s

Old 11-07-2016, 02:00 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You appear to be avoiding the question RE "Military style"?? As a point for my position, take a look at a one of the most common bolt action rifles today. The Remington 700 BDL is in fact a Military style weapon in the it is a direct decedent of the ubiquitous Mauser 98 action. It has as much in common as does a DPMS ar-15 has to a Colt M4. SO when you make statements implying we ban all military style firearms so can see people take offense...
Like I said I don't know gun terms, but I'm against semi automatic assault weapons. I think the right to bear arms should include handguns, shotguns and rifles.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....
Nope, never have owned a gun.

My only experience with firearms was in the Army, and that was a long time ago.

When my wife and I moved to Maine, I thought about getting a gun for home security. This is the first time we've lived in a rural area. But Maine is by and large a very safe state.

If I hunted, I would have a rifle of some type. But I don't hunt.

That said, I have NO problem with people owning guns for personal protection, for pleasure (target shooting, etc.), for collecting, for hunting, etc.

It's still possible I'll get a gun - still think about it from time to time. But I suspect it would just sit there in a drawer somewhere ...

Old 11-07-2016, 02:04 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Like I said I don't know gun terms, but I'm against semi automatic assault weapons. I think the right to bear arms should include handguns, shotguns and rifles.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
LOL!

If we follow the "semi automatic assault weapons" notion, that's 90% guns in existence.

Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about and you don't even know what you are against.

Are you also against Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) that kills millions of people a year?

Old 11-07-2016, 02:11 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL!

If we follow the "semi automatic assault weapons" notion, that's 90% guns in existence.

Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about and you don't even know what you are against.

Are you also against Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) that kills millions of people a year?
Okay you all have convinced me that the second amendment should be abolished. The end. I have no plans to post in this thread again, enjoy your thread. Congrats, you turned a person who was on your side against you. and there are many others like me who will realize how wrong they are to think the gun lobby is for any rational gun ownership laws.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:12 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
I have several guns, a couple of pistols one of which I bought for my wife, a AR-15 with ammo that I bought from a friend of mine who was having money issues and may sale back now that he is getting things straight, a shotgun and a rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies