Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Having a gun doesn't make you a strong person.
But it sure will improve your odds of surviving an attack by someone much larger and stronger than yourself.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Tell that to the girl with a gun facing a rapist.

A gun is the greatest force equalizer particularly for women.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
The point is there is no use arguing with the gun lobby, they are against common sense measures even when you tell the you are a Democrat in favor of the Second amendment.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,373 times
Quote:
The point is there is no use arguing with the gun lobby, they are against common sense measures even when you tell the you are a Democrat in favor of the Second amendment.
When the words "common sense" come out of a politician's mouth when they're proposing new legislation, a voter's brain should always translate them to "I'm a politician and I know what's best for you, so don't question me."

My idea of common sense measures to reduce gun crime would be to actually do something about the street criminals, gang members and drug dealers who are actually committing gun crimes, not outlawing adjustable stocks or magazine capacity.

When President Clinton was considering tackling gun control early in his first term, President Carter’s press secretary, Jody Powell, sent him this memo. It’s a rare example of an influential Democrat admitting the truth about gun control laws.

“As much as I hate to say it, the NRA is effective primarily because it is largely right when it claims that most gun control laws inconvenience and threaten the law-abiding while having little or no impact on violent crime or criminals. I support registration in principle, but two questions need to be asked. Are the people causing the problem going to comply voluntarily? If not, do you have a way to effectively enforce compliance?"

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:

No where in my reply did I imply that. Weak minded or fearful people buy into the anti gun rhetoric.

Please explain how I implied owning a firearm makes you a strong person.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:

Please list some common sense measures.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
The common sense measures would be like these:
1. Anybody and his accomplices committing any felony with any arm should get mandatory 30 years without parole.

2. Anybody eligible for parole or release must pass the background check - if they aren't qualified for purchasing a firearm, they should remain in prison or hospital.

3. Anybody released from prison should have their criminal background locked and have their rights including purchasing firearm fully restored. They have served their time and should be allowed to start anew. If that makes anybody uncomfortable, don't release them.

4. Remove all other gun laws - they defy common sense.

With this kind of laws, we would easily drop our crime rate down to nothing.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?
I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....
When you have to rely on 911 to protect yourself, by the time law enforcement gets there, they will more than likely be doing a scene investigation. With a gun, you'll stop an intruder in his tracks.

I am a gun owner.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:16 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
You posted a video. Want a cookie?

Next time, read what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Accidents can happen, but if you look at the majority of the very small number of these incidents, they were preventable by proper training and safety.
Now, do you see the problem in that video?

No, of course you don't, you have no clue about guns and you are yet again fear mongering with ignorance.

That video is an example of not teaching proper safety.

First, the child is obviously limited in experience with firearms in the first place (her stance and holding is weak).

Second, the firearm she is holding is fully automatic. It is not safe to have a child of that age and timidness fire powerful weapons even if they are experienced with a firearm and much less with a child who is inexperienced with a range of weapon calibers.

So, this entire video is a lesson of: Don't let children, inexperienced, or of various small weak size frames use a weapon that has a high grip requirement. It is risky and dangerous.

What did we learn?

We learned you need to learn how to read first and be honest.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:19 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
I am not "gun lobby"

I am not a member of the NRA or any other gun ownership organization.

I have seen this thing called "common sense gun law" and I have heard of these Democrats that "favor second amendment

but what I have seen is gun laws that restrict law abiding citizens from access to firearms and democrats that will side with wiled eyed gun grabbers over any other group.

I don't agree with you at all. I don't care if you sleep with a fully auto AR 15 , if you vote for Hillary you want guns confiscated. period.

if you believe that a simi-auto long gun is an "Assault Rifle" and its common sense to ban them, then you have neither common sense nor fidelity to the constitution.

Period.

If you think electing Hillary Clinton doesn't mean making the minority opinion in the Heller decision the law of the land... or worse that the minority decision in Heller is "common sense"

then you are almost an enemy of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies