Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Having a gun doesn't make you a strong person.
Seems your post isn't getting much traction, eh?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
There is NO middle ground for our 2nd Amendment rights.

NONE

There is no compromise, there is simply you asking us to continue to give up more and more of that liberty.

NO... NO...

Come and take them if you want them so bad.

People need to stop acting like cowards. You want my rights? Then act like someone with some integrity and actually be the aggressor instead of hiding behind the government to harm and kill for you.

Stand up, or shut up is what is required here. Anything else is just a coward sleeking around in the dark.
The 2nd amendment does not guarantee you the right to have assault weapons, be free from background checks or own plutonium, becuase I'm sure the NRA would fight for the right of individuals to own nuclear weapons if they could.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I do not begrudge a person owning weapon for hunting, collection, etc. I have no interest in any of those things so

Though anyone who says they own a gun for protection is an idiot who can't do math. I mean you would have to be pretty dense (or a crack dealer) to think your chance of being a victim of a crime where you have a chance of defending yourself is higher than someone in your family accidentally/purposely getting killed.

The CDC thinks differently. But then again, what do they know.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...rime-deterrent

Old 11-07-2016, 10:53 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
If I lived by myself in a gun friendly state I would get one.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 AM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
The gun lobby wants no middle ground.

They want assault weapons to be legal, they don't want background checks.....

My opinion, yours may vary.
Two things, compromise to the gun banners, and that's what they are, means their way or the highway, there is no middle ground. No negotiation, no exceptions. So where's your "middle ground"?

For the second, you do realize that the main proponent for the development of the NICS background check system was the (wait for it) NRA, right?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:04 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?
I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....

Yes, 911 is the first line of defense and there is no reason to own a gun for protection....... the heavier the cell phone the more damage it will do when you throw it at the perp.....

you own a spare tire and fire extinguisher, why?

you may never get a flat or have a fire in your home or car so it makes no sense to have these things handy....

Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 AM

603 posts, read 574,089 times
Quote:
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

Gun ownership in America is a proud and long tradition.

Many people own firearms for a variety of reasons.

I don't hunt but I enjoy target shooting.

As far as 9-11, when seconds matter the police are minutes away.

...and like you, I was raised in a house without firearms and learning about them involved a lot of self-education.

Here's what I recommend...if you have no experience with guns and aren't sure if you want to own one why not buy a one year membership to the NRA and get the 'American rifleman' magazine.

It will have a lot of educational information in it, from information about the different types of weapons to an 'armed citizen' piece that chronicles the dozens of incidents each month in which people who exercise their second amendment rights have kept themselves or others from becoming victims by using their personal firearms.

If you get a few months into it and decide it's not for you, you're not out much. If you decide it is something you want to pursue, you will be able to do it from a place wher you have more information.

Many in our congregation carry - even during services.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:

If you are waiting for 911 to save your a$$ in a deadly situation you are toast because the police always arrive after the situation has already occurred. Why some people can't understand that is beyond me. The police will notify your next of kin.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 AM

603 posts, read 574,089 times
Quote:
The 2nd amendment does not guarantee you the right to have assault weapons, be free from background checks or own plutonium, becuase I'm sure the NRA would fight for the right of individuals to own nuclear weapons if they could.
Nuclear weapons are tools of foreign policy that project strength to distant shores. There is no constitutional protection for nuclear weapons, or personal aircraft carriers for that matter.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,056,243 times
Bought my first gun about a year ago.

Home defense 12 gauge shotgun.

Before moving to Texas was always skeptical about using for home defense (in Colorado and before that California) as I figured if you had to blast someone who has broken into your home... you would end up in more trouble than it was worth.

Here in TX you don't have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies