Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Thank you. That wasn't the way I remembered it but I was granting the benefit of the doubt after 2008. That backs up my position even further that the person in question was not saluting the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Well the grandsons do it and we don't tell them not to.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"just throw the constitution out the window,"

Dramatize much?

IMO, it is NOT in the Constitution.

MOST decisions by the SC are NOT liked buy a LOT of people.

Decisions made years in the past have been overturned years later.

IMO, the courts decision is WRONG.

As many have said, "Words have meaning".

speech

/spēCH/

noun

• 1. the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds: "he was born deaf and without the power of speech" synonyms: speaking, talking, verbal expression, verbal communication.
To say an action, in this case burning the flag, is an "expression of freedom of speech" goes against what the word "SPEECH" is. defined as.

Burning is an ACTION and NOT SPEECH. Period.

The Constitution says NOTHING about "freedom of expression."

It is a made up term by the court.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

The SC, NOT the writers, have "interpreted" what the 1st Amendment ACTUALLY says.

Courts CAN be WRONG.

A person would NOT be charged with assault if they slandered you.

A person would NOT be charged with slander if they assaulted you physically.

We have different AND specific laws that deal with slander and assault and CANNOT be used interchangeably.

A question for YOU,

IF trump appoints , some say 4, judges to the SC and they CHANGE the ruling will you be OK with it and support it?

I am not a lawyer and have never acted as one in a movie or a TV show.

Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion and this is MINE.
If your interpretation of Freedom of Speech is only the spoken word (verbal)....

Then do you think that written words (including internet, books, newspapers, flyers, artwork, etc) shouldn't be covered by Freedom of Speech?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Well the grandsons do it and we don't tell them not to.

Compared to burning a US flag...........what they are doing I am sure will not be criticized..........I hope.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think if lefty loons want to burn flags they should have to do it at a Vietnam Veterans gathering first before they can do it anywhere else. That is if they are still breathing.
You say that like no Vietnam Vet ever burned a flag. Or, any veteran for that matter.

Come on. People should be serving to protect ALL of our rights. Including the right to burn the flag.

I'd like to go after the people with flags on bikinis that go up their behinds and people who are flying the flag incorrectly, first.

They're actually violating the rules for proper use of the symbol. Burning flags is absolutely allowed.

Would I burn a flag that wasn't damaged? Nope.

But, I'm not them.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'd have no problem if they made this illegal.

I think doing this is like trampling on the graves of American soldiers everywhere. It's just disrespectful.
Actually...

Trampling on the graves of soldiers happens all the time. Like, when a foreign government is allowed to sabotage a US election? Trampling.

When we don't take good care of the mental and physical health of our veterans? Trampling.

When we don't make sure that our veterans have proper schooling and job training and housing assistance once they're out? Trampling.

You see where I'm coming from? They may fight "under" a flag, but they fight FOR this nation.

I know vets who are really offended by flag burning and vets who are quite fine with it because they see it as a sign that what they fought for is being honored, that being the US Constitution and our freedoms intact.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
I noticed the media talking about this yesterday. You know what that means? It means they weren't talking about other stuff as much. Makes you wonder if he did this on purpose. He knows by making that tweet he can rally up his supporters but knows that what he's asking for will never happen.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Im down. Lock up the communist leftists burning the flag in our streets. If you don't like America? Get the hell out. Go to China or Cuba...

Trump Says Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship or Spend a Year in Jail - ABC News
Be careful what you wish for. The next forbidden voice could be your own.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,569 times
I guess he will no appoint a justice like Scalia.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:58 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just because he tweets it doesn't mean it will happen. However.... I do often think those who think this is such a awful country should go live in another one for a year. I lived in Germany for a spell, it was amazing some of the rules they had that curtailed freedoms that we just for granted over here.
Polite reply: I have never burned a flag, but I wonder if some of those doing so believe, not that this is an awful country, but a wonderful country that has made some awful choices.

What I really think: Why not burn the flag? Trump seems determined to burn the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies