Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 02:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
Donald Trump was quoting Judge Scalia
Scalia voted to overturn the Texas statute that criminalized flag burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

... I think the flag burners should get a kick in the butt
... don't be surprised if someone that is Patriotic takes major offense to that and beats you.
...watch out all you people who trash and dump on America.
Beating someone is a crime as is kicking someone in the butt.

What happened to "law and order"?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There is nothing wrong with protecting the symbol of freedom for your country from idiots.
Actually, if protecting the symbol of freedom means arresting and punishing someone, it is a violation of the First Amendment.

So yes, it's wrong.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Beating someone is a crime as is kicking someone in the butt.

What happened to "law and order"?
That's for those other law breakers.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with protecting the symbol of freedom for your country from idiots.
How many symbols do you need? It's not like we're talking about the Betsy Ross flag, or the last flag in existence. Wal-Mart sold 7.8 million flags the year after 9/11. Is every one of those flags a sacred symbol of your country? Do you protect the flag when you see it dragging on the ground behind a pick-up? Do you protect the flag when you see it hanging, filthy and bedraggled in the rain in front of someone's house?

The very reason burning the flag is a potent form of protest is because it has so much value as a symbol. The people burning that flag are keenly aware of what the flag represents. The people who let the flag become frayed and dirty might not be as aware of what the flag represents.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
The last I checked this was Trumps opinion not his policy. I think the flag burners should get a kick in the butt from a Veteran that bled for ol glory. it is the ultimate irony that those who trash the symbol of our country have the right to do so because someone stood up to fight for that very symbol.

There are people I know that say Trump is going to trash the first amendment because he says that flag burners should go to jail or pay a fine. Get real people and chill out. Trump is not taking away your rights to burn the flag or to wear it like a diaper but don't be surprised if someone that is Patriotic takes major offense to that and beats you.

Since Nov8th there has been a resurgence in Patriotism so watch out all you people who trash and dump on America.
When patriotism is the excuse for trying to silence dissent, then it ceases to be patriotism and becomes authoritarianism.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Quote:
Trump is not taking away your rights to burn the flag or to wear it like a diaper but don't be surprised if someone that is Patriotic takes major offense to that and beats you. Since Nov8th there has been a resurgence in Patriotism so watch out all you people who trash and dump on America.
Get back to me if you make bail after you take "major offense and beat" someone, will you?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Yes, there is. So says the law of the United States, the land of freedom...where unpopular speech is a protected right from those who would stop others from saying and doing things they disapprove of.

The flag is the symbol of freedom. Ironically, one of those freedoms is the right to burn the flag in political protest.

One cannot revere the flag while at the same time want to criminalize freedom of speech. Such a person doesn't really revere the flag and what it stands for, obviously.

Of COURSE it's upsetting and disgusting to many. That's precisely why it's legally protected. We don't need legal protections to do popular, uncontroversial things, do we?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
We don't need legal protections to do popular, uncontroversial things, do we?
You will once my constitutional amendment to outlaw puppy hugging and baby talk is passed! It's going to be on a rider for research into hair loss and prevention of citrus colored skin. Going to be yuge when passed. Nothing but the best lawmakerguys working on it.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:10 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
The last I checked this was Trumps opinion not his policy. I think the flag burners should get a kick in the butt from a Veteran that bled for ol glory. it is the ultimate irony that those who trash the symbol of our country have the right to do so because someone stood up to fight for that very symbol.

There are people I know that say Trump is going to trash the first amendment because he says that flag burners should go to jail or pay a fine. Get real people and chill out. Trump is not taking away your rights to burn the flag or to wear it like a diaper but don't be surprised if someone that is Patriotic takes major offense to that and beats you.

Since Nov8th there has been a resurgence in Patriotism so watch out all you people who trash and dump on America.
I have several friends who understand the consequences of assaults. They are all combat veterans who have served several tours.

I told them they might go to jail if they assault somebody who burn the flag, they told me they don't care. They view these flag burners as domestic enemies.

Although they don't speak for ALL combat vets, I think the U.S. military today is gradually becoming a separate warrior class, it is becoming increasingly distinct from the public it is charged with protecting.

As the size of the military shrinks, the connections between military personnel and the broad civilian population appear to be growing more distant.

Most of the country has experienced little, if any, personal impact from the longest era of war in U.S. history. But those in uniform have seen their lives upended by repeated deployments to war zones, felt the pain of seeing family members and comrades killed and maimed, and endured psychological trauma that many will carry forever, often invisible to their civilian neighbors.

Flag burning will always be a sensitive topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies