Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The president-elect calling for repeal of free speech, jailing people who exercise their rights. Are you proud, America? (the minority of you who voted for Trump) It makes me want to go burn a flag.
Just wanted to interrupt your ranting for a minute, to point out that Trump is not the first person to suggest penalties for flag burning. In fact, Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill when she was a senator that would have made flag burning an offense punishable by fines or jail time. The bill never passed.

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored bill to jail flag burners in 2005 - AOL News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Just wanted to interrupt your ranting for a minute, to point out that Trump is not the first person to suggest penalties for flag burning. In fact, Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill when she was a senator that would have made flag burning an offense punishable by fines or jail time. The bill never passed.

Like I said before, screw her too.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:37 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And I have every right to voice my opinion on this message board about their perspective without having a post repeated at me several times.
I've never said you don't have the right to voice your opinion.

I guess the discussion stops here.

Sorry if I have offended you by saying we can show people a little bit compassion.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that. It's only about the sixth time it's been shared on this thread.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:42 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:

This again?

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism. It called for a punishment of no more than one year in prison and a fine of no more than $100,000; unless that flag was property of the United States Government, in which case the penalty would be a fine of not more than $250,000, not more than two years in prison, or both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_P...on_Act_of_2005

There's a difference between what this would have done to people who burned or destroyed the flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism and what tRump said he would like, which included stripping Americans of their citizenship for protesting.

In any event, the proposal failed to make it out of committee.

Hillary lost. Get over it.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've never said you don't have the right to voice your opinion.

I guess the discussion stops here.

Sorry if I have offended you by saying we can show people a little bit compassion.
I'm not offended. I just don't see why they deserve compassion for being completely hypocritical to the land they serve. It makes no sense to me.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Just like clockwork, I see George Takei chimed in (as usual)...I couldn't resist but to post one of the responses. George Takei must be the worst backseat driver. Has so much to say about everything, but never sits in the driver's seat. Hey George, just S*F*. Pretend you're still Sulu...with minimal lines.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Like I said before, screw her too.

Ok, I understand your perspective, I think, that it's just a flag. There are other, more enduring ways to express one's patriotism than waving around a flag, and waving a flag alone does not make one a patriot.

But I was responding to the poster who was ranting on about how Trump's tweet shows he wants to take free speech from Americans, and taking (one more time) those who voted for Trump to task for the dire consequences he imagines for fhe Trump presidency.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Just like clockwork, I see George Takei chimed in (as usual)...I couldn't resist but to post one of the responses. George Takei must be the worst backseat driver. Has so much to say about everything, but never sits in the driver's seat. Hey George, just S*F*. Pretend you're still Sulu...with minimal lines.
LOL, I guess he sees himself as an activist of sorts now. But I agree, I liked him much better as Sulu.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
So, what was George Takei's response, you forgot to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies