Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 03:10 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The last I checked this was Trumps opinion not his policy. I think the flag burners should get a kick in the butt from a Veteran that bled for ol glory. it is the ultimate irony that those who trash the symbol of our country have the right to do so because someone stood up to fight for that very symbol.

There are people I know that say Trump is going to trash the first amendment because he says that flag burners should go to jail or pay a fine. Get real people and chill out. Trump is not taking away your rights to burn the flag or to wear it like a diaper but don't be surprised if someone that is Patriotic takes major offense to that and beats you.

Since Nov8th there has been a resurgence in Patriotism so watch out all you people who trash and dump on America.
You may want to read the news more often.

Beating someone up is assault and a crime. The assaulter would end up in jail, maybe have a fine, and then have to pay for the injuries he caused.

Someone's recourse when faced with a legal offense, is to commit a similar offense. You can burn a picture of the person's face, or burn something that is a symbol that person would hold dear. That is a protected right of free speech, too.

This is just political protest. Our country has a long history of political protest. You can't control everything that others do. They have rights, same as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There is nothing wrong with protecting the symbol of freedom for your country from idiots.
Yes actually there is something wrong with it because in protecting a symbol, you are denying rights.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have several friends who understand the consequences of assaults. They are all combat veterans who have served several tours.

I told them they might go to jail if they assault somebody who burn the flag, they told me they don't care. They view these flag burners as domestic enemies.

Although they don't speak for ALL combat vets, I think the U.S. military today is gradually becoming a separate warrior class, it is becoming increasingly distinct from the public it is charged with protecting.

As the size of the military shrinks, the connections between military personnel and the broad civilian population appear to be growing more distant.

Most of the country has experienced little, if any, personal impact from the longest era of war in U.S. history. But those in uniform have seen their lives upended by repeated deployments to war zones, felt the pain of seeing family members and comrades killed and maimed, and endured psychological trauma that many will carry forever, often invisible to their civilian neighbors.

Flag burning will always be a sensitive topic.
Then why in God's name did they put their lives on the line for this country? I will never understand veterans - of all people - who want to take away the rights of others.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then why in God's name did they put their lives on the line for this country? I will never understand veterans - of all people - who want to take away the rights of others.
You may not understand it, I think you can show a little bit compassion towards them.

I don't understand it either, I hope they will never assault anybody because I don't think it is worth it.
But I think it is equally important to take into consideration of what they have been through. They don't see the American flag the way most people do. We are all who we are through EXPERIENCES.

Like I said, They view flag burners as domestic enemies. You don't have to agree with them, nobody is forcing you to.

They understand the consequences of assault, they don't mind going to jail for what they believe in. You don't have to understand it or agree with it, but every action, there is a reaction.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You may not understand it, I think you can show a little bit compassion towards them.

I don't understand it either, I hope they will never assault anybody because I don't think it is worth it.
But I think it is equally important to take into consideration of what they have been through. They don't see the American flag the way most people do. We are all who we are through EXPERIENCES.

Like I said, They view flag burners as domestic enemies. You don't have to agree with them, nobody is forcing you to.

They understand the consequences of assault, they don't mind going to jail for what they believe in. You don't have to understand it or agree with it, but every action, there is a reaction.
I respect their service. I completely disagree with their stance and hold them even more accountable for knowing what is right than others who didn't serve. Why do they value a flag - a piece of cloth manufactured in a factory in China - more than they value the rights of human beings? Talk about misplaced priorities.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I respect their service. I completely disagree with their stance and hold them even more accountable for knowing what is right than others who didn't serve. Why do they value a flag - a piece of cloth manufactured in a factory in China - more than they value the rights of human beings? Talk about misplaced priorities.
Like I said, you don't have to agree with them.

The only point I am making is that they don't view American flag the way most people do. They view flag burners as domestic enemies.

You don't have to agree with them, but we can all learn to show people who have different views a little bit compassion.

They understand the consequences of assault, they don't mind going to jail for what they believe in. They might be extreme, you can even call them misguided, but I choose to show them compassion and hopefully, they will never assault anybody because it is not worth it. going to jail for flag burners? I hope they never have to.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
His supporters OUGHT to want him to delete his Twitter. He sounds like a crazy person.

IMO Trump ought to get a little more control over his Twitter finger, there is no point in giving his detractors any more fodder to weaponize and use against him. They'll find, or fabricate enough as it is, no point in handing it to them.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
I have several friends who understand the consequences of assaults. They are all combat veterans who have served several tours. I told them they might go to jail if they assault somebody who burn the flag, they told me they don't care. They view these flag burners as domestic enemies.
Cool story.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
and although we have different views, I don't think you are a troll and I do believe you are a reasonable poster.

if you want to, you can check out this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post34306431

The poster Hardcore is my personal friend, he is a combat Marine who served three tours overseas.

After reading his posts, you perhaps will understand him a little bit more.

Just a suggestion.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you don't have to agree with them.

The only point I am making is that they don't view American flag the way most people do. They view flag burners as domestic enemies.

You don't have to agree with them, but we can all learn to show people who have different views a little bit compassion.

They understand the consequences of assault, they don't mind going to jail for what they believe in. They might be extreme, you can even call them misguided, but I choose to show them compassion and hopefully, they will never assault anybody because it is not worth it. going to jail for flag burners? I hope they never have to.
And I have every right to voice my opinion on this message board about their perspective without having a post repeated at me several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies