Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,104,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Burning a flag is an ACT. It is not SPEECH.
Giving money to a politician is an act, too, but the Supreme Court rules that it is protected under "free speech", and also that Corporations are PEOPLE. So apparently according to the law an act CAN be considered speech (and by the way, that was what was ruled by the Supreme Court in 1989 regarding flag burning). See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._Johnson

It's a twisted world we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 AM

39,340 posts, read 27,740,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
No, you just want the government to lock me up if I exercise a First Amendment right.
forget it. believe what you want to believe.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,688,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's freedom of speech.

BTW, if some of you people are going to flip out at every ridiculous tweet Trump sends out, you're in for a rough 4 to 8 years.

I'm not sure how some of you make it from day to day. If you haven't been able to figure out that Trump is a person who spouts off before thinking, you must have horrendous people skills. I've had to be around people like that my entire life.

There is a good expression befitting what Trump spouts off, take it with a grain of salt.
Yeppers. Just what the American people were hoping for in a president. Someone who constantly spouts off to millions of devotees without thinking at 3AM.
Your advice to not take him seriously and only with a grain of salt is probably right.
"Nah, he isn't going to nuke London because you refused to sell him Westminster Abby for a hotel. He's just talking ****. Hey, nobody seriously takes what our president say's anyway".

Just the guy we need as leader of the free world.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 AM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
After all Trumps hyperbole you now believe him?
I've been scared of having Trump in office since the election began.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yeppers. Just what the American people were hoping for in a president. Someone who constantly spouts off to millions of devotees without thinking at 3AM.
Your advice to not take him seriously and only with a grain of salt is probably right.
"Nah, he isn't going to nuke London because you refused to sell him Westminster Abby for a hotel. He's just talking ****. Hey, nobody seriously takes what our president say's anyway".

Just the guy we need as leader of the free world.
He really should stop all these silly tweets

The Supreme Court has twice affirmed the right to desecrate the American flag as a form of free speech -- a historically contentious issue -- in cases before the high court in 1989 and 1990.

In the 1989 case "Texas v. Johnson," the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that flag burning was a form of "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment. The ruling came after an appeal from Gregory Johnson, who had been convicted by a Texas court of violating a state law that prohibited the "desecration of a venerated object" such as the US flag.

The following year, in "United states v. Eichman," the top court again affirmed the right to burn the flag when it ruled 5-4 that the Flag Protection Act of 1989 -- passed by Congress in response to the Johnson decision -- was unconstitutional.

So I doubt Trump can or should do anything about flag burning.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,452,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
forget it. believe what you want to believe.
I wasn't aware that I needed your permission to believe what I want to believe, but I feel so much better now that I have it.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Burning a flag is an ACT. It is not SPEECH.
Let's just assume it's not speech for a moment.

If I purchase a flag, nad it is my private property, I have every right to burn that flag.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM

I don't think Trump can really do anything about it.

Beating a dead horse is waste of time.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,355,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Giving money to a politician is an act, too, but the Supreme Court rules that it is protected under "free speech", and also that Corporations are PEOPLE. So apparently according to the law an act CAN be considered speech (and by the way, that was what was ruled by the Supreme Court in 1989 regarding flag burning). See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._Johnson

It's a twisted world we live in.
They got it right both times.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,994,522 times
Nobody should be thrown in jail for flag burning, just deported. It's the equivalent of renouncing your citizenship which is free speech with similar consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies