Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:04 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Carrier affair is just a small, isolated case for show. It doesn't indicate that anything substantial will continue to be done about offshore jobs. Let's wait until all the products sold by the Trump Empire are manufactured entirely in the U.S., before we start being cheerleaders for his policies.
What a silly qualification. I can't imagine why anyone would be against requiring a huge defense contractor, dependent upon government contracts, to order one of its subsidiaries to keep jobs in the USA.

It's called making a deal. Something that Trump did, and something that Obama failed to do. Something that Hillary absolutely wouldn't do. She only holds contempt for th American worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:06 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
money talks BS walks-- always been

what else they make there? boots? TVs? -- raincoats? I'd say IM going to Mexico....and see if TRUMPS offers me a great deal

Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I know damn well why Democrats lost. Believe me.

That's the reason this thread exists for crying out loud.
But is it that cut and dry? I mean, Trump is doing everything he railed against when campaigning. During the debates and in every rally he talked about Hillary's speeches and her connection to Wall Street, and now his team resembles a Goldman Sachs satellite office. I thought it was a joke when I first heard he was considering David Petraeus for SOS after promising his supporters to prosecute Hillary and "lock her up."

We now know why Pence is still Gov of Indiana, even though the inauguration is only weeks away. He needed to sign that $700,000 check before he was replaced. I'm all for saving jobs, but what about the 1,300 people who are losing them in the same plant? Will that $700,000 come from their taxes or will they receive a tax credit? This was a very smart move, but it wasn't because he cares about those 850 workers. If that were the case, he wouldn't have purchased Chinese Steel or had most of his products manufactured in China.

I truly believe if Trump pardoned Bernie Madoff and gave him a cabinet position, his supporters would still be cheering him on during his upcoming tour. It's not a "thank you" tour as he calls it. It's a much needed adulation fix since Twitter can't give him the high he gets from hearing crowds of admirers calling his name.

I can't tell if Trump is a brilliant marketer or a narcissistic sociopath.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-01-2016 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 12-01-2016, 04:10 PM

501 posts, read 362,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
an end to the culture wars will thrive for 40 years.
No, my young Padawan, begun, the culture wars have.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Trump also has the clout that he will be president, and that he will be pushing for lowered corporate income tax rates, and eliminating some of these new, burdensome 0bama EPA regulations. Something that was not on the table from IEDC.
Burdensome?

They made 4 billion in profit last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I think the confusion derives from the switch from national economics to global economics. The economic war on the USA has been ongoing for some time and we finally have a president that is not blind or paid off. The government must be more involved in global economics in order to be on a more level platform with the other nations.
I'm for that. Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Hey, since crony capitalism is the American Way, why not have crony capitalism that benefits the American worker for a change? I say it's better than having crony capitalism working exclusively for the Big Banks and Wall Street.

At least Carrier actually produces something of value instead of just making money from high frequency trading algorithms. And if Carrier f*cks up, we may have a lot of sweaty people, but it won't bring down the entire economy.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What a silly qualification. I can't imagine why anyone would be against requiring a huge defense contractor, dependent upon government contracts, to order one of its subsidiaries to keep jobs in the USA.

It's called making a deal. Something that Trump did, and something that Obama failed to do. Something that Hillary absolutely wouldn't do. She only holds contempt for th American worker.
Oh really?

And you would've been for this deal if Obama had put it together?

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. The lack of honesty is astonishing.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:13 PM

501 posts, read 362,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Trump is not a conservative, not sure why you are confused here? Up until 30 so months before the election he was a progressive and praised progressive leaders/policies constantly.

Trump was picked in our primaries by independents and defected democrats, not by the establishment, the conservatives or the constitutional based groups. That is, he only got 38% of the vote in the primaries and when you consider the record bleed over of re-registered democrats and independents, it is quite clear who his major supporters were. The only reason he got elected was because most of the conservatives, constitutionalists, and even some in the establishment just couldn't accept a Hillary presidency.

So, now that you know who Trump is and who primarily supported him, it should now make sense when he starts pulling out various progressive solutions. Don't make the mistake of labeling him and his supporters something they are not.

By the way a common self labeling of Trump supporters was I think they called it Agrarian Nationalists or something like that?
This is largely nonsense. Trump supporters in the primaries all heavily identified with conservativism in opinion polls.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
But I digress. Republicans, I don't know who you are anymore. And if you're being honest, you guys don't either. But I know one thing: you don't believe in the stuff you've been saying (about economics) at all. Not even a little bit. And I suspect that this next four years will prove me even more correct.

i'm disappointed in you, desertdetroiter

you say these things like they haven't been obvious for the past 20 years

Republicans don't "stand for" anything. They make calculated decisions about their voting bases, their donor bases, and who they can afford to screw over.

This is why the "Free Market" GOP bailed out failing banks. It is why they proposed an increase in payroll taxes right in the middle of their "anti-tax pledge" mania. It is why North Carolina GOP passed a bill micromanaging municipal regulations about transgenders, while simultaneously screaming about 'small government.' It's why Republicans support criminalization of pot despite wanting "government out of people's personal lives."

Their justification is all nonsense. Their decision making has got nothing to do with beliefs or standing for anything. They want to court old, white voters and big money donors. Full stop.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
This is largely nonsense. Trump supporters in the primaries all heavily identified with conservativism in opinion polls.
Yes but they've come along to the Buchanite wing of protectionism. I would describe Trump as a Paleo Conservative

Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:

Oh really?

And you would've been for this deal if Obama had put it together?

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. The lack of honesty is astonishing.
Really.

I voted for Obama in '08 because he made the same sort of promises. And he absolutely failed to produce. Millions of middle class jobs went overseas while he was President. He did nothing about it. His Secretary of State did nothing about it. This speaks for itself.

And you speak of "honestly" of someone who hasn't even taken office yet, while presumably absolving Hillary & Obama of being the biggest liars while in office. It's called an irrational double standard. So if you are "astonished", I recommend you go work that out.

The only astonishing thing I see is the false outrage because Trump in one act, has completely neutered the Obama "legacy".

Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
The whole Carrier deal is a sham to make it look like Trump struck a deal to keep 1,000 jobs from going to Mexico. It was Mike Pence who stayed governor so he could sign a $200,000 incentive deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies