Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Hey, since crony capitalism is the American Way, why not have crony capitalism that benefits the American worker for a change? I say it's better than having crony capitalism working exclusively for the Big Banks and Wall Street.

At least Carrier actually produces something of value instead of just making money from high frequency trading algorithms. And if Carrier f*cks up, we may have a lot of sweaty people, but it won't bring down the entire economy.
Carrier is owned by United Technologies, which recently paid their outgoing CEO $172 million in compensation, and makes about $6 billion in profit every year.

I don't know if giving them taxpayer money is really going to help "the american worker," unless you consider their CEO "an american worker."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
This is largely nonsense. Trump supporters in the primaries all heavily identified with conservativism in opinion polls.
Damn right. They ARE definitely conservative Republicans. And they have been for decades. These aren't converts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm disappointed in you, desertdetroiter

you say these things like they haven't been obvious for the past 20 years

Republicans don't "stand for" anything. They make calculated decisions about their voting bases, their donor bases, and who they can afford to screw over.

This is why the "Free Market" GOP bailed out failing banks. It is why they proposed an increase in payroll taxes right in the middle of their "anti-tax pledge" mania. It is why North Carolina GOP passed a bill micromanaging municipal regulations about transgenders, while simultaneously screaming about 'small government.' It's why Republicans support criminalization of pot despite wanting "government out of people's personal lives."

Their justification is all nonsense. Their decision making has got nothing to do with beliefs or standing for anything. They want to court old, white voters and big money donors. Full stop.
Lol...you should be disappointed in me, because I didn't truly see these people for who they really are. I'm late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes but they've come along to the Buchanite wing of protectionism. I would describe Trump as a Paleo Conservative
Lol...no way. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Really.

I voted for Obama in '08 because he made the same sort of promises. And he absolutely failed to produce. Millions of middle class jobs went overseas while he was President. He did nothing about it. His Secretary of State did nothing about it. This speaks for itself.

And you speak of "honestly" of someone who hasn't even taken office yet, while presumably absolving Hillary & Obama of being the biggest liars while in office. It's called an irrational double standard. So if you are "astonished", I recommend you go work that out.

The only astonishing thing I see is the false outrage because Trump in one act, has completely neutered the Obama "legacy".
Oh please. Spare me. And just who did you vote for in 2012? An anti free trader?

You're full of it, and you know it.

BTW...I'm for the Carrier deal. How many times do I have to say that?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
I voted Clinton but I'm pretty pro-free trade.
I think that's the issue is it not? The Democratic Party under the Clintonian faction is pretty pro free trade. This was the year of the right wing populist.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:41 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
But is it that cut and dry? I mean, Trump is doing everything he railed against when campaigning. During the debates and in every rally he talked about Hillary's speeches and her connection to Wall Street, and now his team resembles a Goldman Sachs satellite office. I thought it was a joke when I first heard he was considering David Petraeus for SOS after promising his supporters to prosecute Hillary and "lock her up."

We now know why Pence is still Gov of Indiana, even though the inauguration is only weeks away. He needed to sign that $700,000 check before he was replaced. I'm all for saving jobs, but what about the 1,300 people who are losing them in the same plant? Will that $700,000 come from their taxes or will they receive a tax credit? This was a very smart move, but it wasn't because he cares about those 850 workers. If that were the case, he wouldn't have purchased Chinese Steel or had most of his products manufactured in China.

I truly believe if Trump pardoned Bernie Madoff and gave him a cabinet position, his supporters would still be cheering him on during his upcoming tour. It's not a "thank you" tour as he calls it. It's a much needed adulation fix since Twitter can't give him the high he gets from hearing crowds of admirers calling his name.

I can't tell if Trump is a brilliant marketer or a narcissistic sociopath.
Taht also seemed strange, Christy was kicked off the transition team and Pence took over, did Pence have too much time on his hands. This sure seems orchestrated and certainly makes no sense at all since Pence had plenty of time to get an agreement and this was exactly the criticism of Trump during the election, he was a free market candidate.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Lol...no way. Not even close.
Going by Trumps campaign rhetoric ONLY he was exactly what Pat Buchanan was talking about. In fact Pat himself called him his heir. He wholly endorsed him as such.

Do you guys really follow what's going on? Because this election proved that most liberals have no clue. Judging by his campaign rhetoric he's a Paleo-Con.

The regular establishment GOP and the never Trumpers are the more pro free trade libertarian conservatives.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:46 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I'm not familiar with the particulars of the Carrier deal, but it is common practice for states to give 10s of millions in tax breaks to companies to move to their state. I suggest you do some research on this.

Here is an example:

http://www.ct.gov/dob/cwp/view.asp?a=2245&q=317460

Governor Rell Welcomes RBS Greenwich Capital
Expansion in Stamford; 1,150 New Jobs Expected
June 29, 2006

Governor M. Jodi Rell today joined RBS Greenwich Capital and Stamford officials to welcome the financial services company at groundbreaking ceremonies for its new $400 million, 500,000 square-foot downtown facility – a project that represents 1,150 additional jobs for southwestern Connecticut.

“This is a huge project for the city and the state,” Governor Rell said, “and it makes me proud that a company of RBS Greenwich Capital’s stature recognizes the value of continuing to do business in Connecticut.

“The company’s leadership decided to stay here, invest here, and make a long-term commitment to the state,” the Governor said.* “RBS Greenwich Capital now employs 700 people in Connecticut.* As a result of this expansion, the firm projects an additional 1,150 jobs – that’s a lot of new, good-paying jobs.”

The state Department of Economic and Community Development is providing up to $100 million in Urban Reinvestment Tax Credits over ten years to support the project.* In addition, the Connecticut Development Authority has approved a $9 million sales and use tax exemption on construction materials.*

It is far easier to retain businesses in the state than bring in new ones and far less costly.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-01-2016 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 04:47 PM

501 posts, read 361,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
They also thought they were supportive of the Constitution, but oddly seem to promote concepts that are in conflict with it. So, we can take those "polls" with a grain of salt.
Sorry, but no.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that's the issue is it not? The Democratic Party under the Clintonian faction is pretty pro free trade. This was the year of the right wing populist.
Trump isn't a right winger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm not familiar with the particulars of the Carrier deal, but it is common practice for states to give 10s of millions in tax breaks to companies to move to their state. I suggest you do some research on this.

Here is an example:

DOB: Governor Rell Welcomes RBS Greenwich Capital Expansion in Stamford

Governor Rell Welcomes RBS Greenwich Capital
Expansion in Stamford; 1,150 New Jobs Expected
June 29, 2006

Governor M. Jodi Rell today joined RBS Greenwich Capital and Stamford officials to welcome the financial services company at groundbreaking ceremonies for its new $400 million, 500,000 square-foot downtown facility – a project that represents 1,150 additional jobs for southwestern Connecticut.

“This is a huge project for the city and the state,” Governor Rell said, “and it makes me proud that a company of RBS Greenwich Capital’s stature recognizes the value of continuing to do business in Connecticut.

“The company’s leadership decided to stay here, invest here, and make a long-term commitment to the state,” the Governor said.* “RBS Greenwich Capital now employs 700 people in Connecticut.* As a result of this expansion, the firm projects an additional 1,150 jobs – that’s a lot of new, good-paying jobs.”

The state Department of Economic and Community Development is providing up to $100 million in Urban Reinvestment Tax Credits over ten years to support the project.* In addition, the Connecticut Development Authority has approved a $9 million sales and use tax exemption on construction materials.*

It is far easier to retain businesses in the state than bring in new ones and far less costly.
Carrier was leaving buddy...and they made it clear that no amount of inducements were enough to make them stay.

So please, let's not sugarcoat what's going on here.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Thank you President Trump! #TrumpWins... Merry Christmas

For what being a horse's behind and making a mockery of this country?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:56 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They taxes they pay will likely decrease.

Regulations will likely decrease - which will decrease operating costs.

They will not be charged with import fees if they had moved to Mexico.

Whatever the case - Trump created incentives for them to stay and Americans keep their jobs.

Why don't just wait for the details before you start complaining and asking questions?
Well, Pence arranged the subsidy to keep Carrier here, at Trump's negotiation. I don't know why Pence didn't do that before. I guess they thought it would be too costly, or they didn't care.

But a policy needs to be developed. Not just winging a deal here and there. Verification of a company leaving (not just a company threatening to move). Otherwise, that's blackmailing the country.

I thought 1,000 jobs were going to be saved. Now I'm reading it's about 700, with several hundred being laid off, anyway. Still, I'm happy for those 700. I can imagine how gratifying it is for those whose jobs were saved. They must be sighing relief, as I would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies