Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
All of that is very nice, but would you allow people who illegally immigrated here after we had reached your limit of 500,000,000 people to stay here?

Or would you deport them?
It would have to be a case by case basis. I'd really like to take a more compassionate approach to these issues because we aren't talking about just numbers. We are talking about people's lives and I do think it deserves consideration beyond a number on a paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Force? No. Tempt? Yes.

As I said in my initial post, I'm speaking from my experience here in Northeastern Pa. It is a fact that many first generation immigrants never assimilated into the American experience. Now their children and grandchildren did, yes. But those coming over on the boats? Not as much you think.
Did they come here illegally?

I don't think so.

Did public schools teach their children in as many as seventy different languages as now happens in San Francisco and San Diego?

Were they given voting materials in their native language?

Were signs at the local department of motor vehicles written in their native language?

Were they given drivers licenses even though they were here illegally?

I don't think so.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
It would have to be a case by case basis. I'd really like to take a more compassionate approach to these issues because we aren't talking about just numbers. We are talking about people's lives and I do think it deserves consideration beyond a number on a paper.
So your 500,000,000 person limit means nothing.

Thought so.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is one other problem with liberal ideology; the environmental impact of unchecked immigration. Our world is currently closing in on 7.5 billion people: World Population Clock: 7.5 Billion People (2017) - Worldometers. If you do a Google search for 'maximum human population of Earth' you will get many like this: How Many People Can Earth Support?. In that link they state: "Many scientists think Earth has a maximum carrying capacity of 9 billion to 10 billion people." Then you can also go to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population and see how dangerous this explosive human population is; just look at their graph on the top of the screen.

The world did not get it's first billion humans until the second half of the 1800's and now we are up to seven and a half billion. We went thousands of years without one billion people and now this explosive growth. There is only maybe 20 to 50 years left before we 'max' out according to many 'experts'. This places even more pressure on all of our resources. Our oceans are contaminated, drinking water is contaminated, we look everyplace for new energy resources. More is not better; it could be the destruction of humanity as we know it.

One side wants us to worry about global warming and one side wants expansion for profit. Humans might not survive to see global warming at the rate we are going. On the other side; how can we create a capitalist economy that relies on less? we have to start a dialog on these issues and I do not think anybody wants to be first.

When it comes to the churches providing sanctuary; the simply don't see the big picture.
While I certainly don't disagree with any of this, if people are so worried about the environment why aren't those issues treated seriously? We only discuss the environment and poor Americans when it comes to illegal immigration. Otherwise, you try to talk about these issues and people start bitching about regulations, how humans don't impact the environment etc.

You are saying we can't have it both ways and I throw that right back to your side.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
That was an obvious typo.
No, it wasn't.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
So your 500,000,000 person limit means nothing.

Thought so.
I don't think it means nothing. I think its a good goal. But like anything else that is complex I think its immature to say nope, we reached the limit and we don't care about you because you are person 5,000,001. Its like having a budget for vacation but then your car goes and you saying, "Well guess we are going without a car because the money is for vacation. It says so right on this paper."

Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
No, it wasn't.
Think what you like. I know it makes you feel good to play gotcha instead of being mature.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Another insult.

Why?

Perhaps I didn't get what you were saying hence the question.
There was no insult, and you did get what I was saying.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
I blame the companies, too. (1)

I'm wondering why you don't also blame the illegal immigrants.

Did the companies force them to break our laws and come here illegally?

(2) Did they go down to Mexico and kidnap them?

Wrong.

A very few never assimilated.

1- you dont-
2- the companies recruit- they have someone hold a sign in the street that say TRABAJO (work)
and they offered a WAY to get here- Well did the current flow? of course! everybody jumped in that band wagon - and companies have continued to HIRE HIRE HIRE

3- if you are the poor man with no alternatives- and kids hungry and sick- would you not follow the TRABAJO sign ?

4- America was made from every poor man running to make a better life for their families. The corporations paved the way-since Columbus -- he killed everyone so Europeans could come- who had the boats??
point being- what has changed ?- laws-? Well who broke them first?? the Chinese and Africans were brought here - and so were the Mexicans - a poor man not just jumping a wall with NO destination- they KNOW where to go-- and be welcomed

Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Did they come here illegally?

I don't think so.

Did public schools teach their children in as many as seventy different languages as now happens in San Francisco and San Diego?

Were they given voting materials in their native language?

Were signs at the local department of motor vehicles written in their native language?

Were they given drivers licenses even though they were here illegally?

I don't think so.
Keep adding on to previous posts in order to prove yourself "right." This is tiresome and its intellectually lazy. I think I'm done here. I'm good to debate but when you start moving goal posts, changing original premises of posts, etc. I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies