Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So explain it to me. Ellen Degeneres walks in Rick Santorum's Bakery & Confederate goods store. Why risk getting sued for discrimination when he can just sit there and not do anything?

Why are all these stores opening themselves up to losing all that money when they can just clam up, put their hands in their pocket, and not risk ANYTHING?

I want to understand why that cake shop didn't just say no to that gay couple, not give a reason why, and could have continued going on with their business?
Because they were standing up for their religious rights? In that cake example, you do realize they did business with homosexuals before, making cakes, etc... their objection was being forced to cater an event they were specifically against.

This is what is called taking a stand and they made it known why.

Quote:
Why is NC passing a law to exempt LGBT people from protection, when businesses are free to say no and not give a reason w/o violating any laws?
They can, but this won't stop CIVIL lawsuits from trying to claim they are singling out people due to a specific protected right. You see, most businesses understand they have liberties, that when they go into business, they don't put on chains and become slaves to people who have no clue of what liberty and rights are.

The fact is, you can be denied for many reasons, as long as it is not of those specific ones. What they hell do you think minorities constantly claim with jobs? That because a certain job place does not have a certain amount of minorities, they are hiding the fact they are purposely turning people way due to it? And so the lawsuits begin and the media wars occur. It is just easier for people to comply these days.

Here... try this...

Go to a store, the walk up to the owner or manager and say this "I can force you to serve me". Don't use anything other than that.

Go ahead, try it and get back to me.

Try not to look stupid when they tell you to get the hell out of the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM

778 posts, read 339,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Tell that to Piggy Park. He and others, including a church, have claimed religious belief to deny services based on race.

Claims made by one person does not magically translate into religious doctrine.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Claims made by one person does not magically translate into religious doctrine.
Do you believe that the state should determine what is a religious belief and what isn't?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Bingo! Your right to liberty does not include infringing on someone else's rights. Your liberty is within the confines of the law, including anti-discrimination laws.
Which are created, by their very definition, to confer SPECIAL RIGHTS to a specific victim class.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you believe that the state should determine what is a religious belief and what isn't?
No. I don't believe that you can claim you know what a religion's doctrine is based on one person or one church either.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Which are created, by their very definition, to confer SPECIAL RIGHTS to a specific victim class.
It is mind boggling how they just don't see it.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:34 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
I'm pretty sure that next on their checklist is forcing taxpayers to fund elective genital mutilation surgery. There have already been court cases and some decisions about that for confused people in jail and/or the military I believe.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Until you get fired for being "a little too phaggy" on your job! Then you'll be cryin' in the wind!
Well... if you get fired for such a thing, it isn't because you are gay, it is because you are acting in an anti-social manner.

Being gay doesn't mean you have to act like a little whiny girl. In fact, there are many gay people who act normal and not like some spazed out reject at a transvestite contest.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
No. I don't believe that you can claim you know what a religion's doctrine is based on one person or one church either.
I don't claim to know anything about another persons religious beliefs. If someone claims that their religious belief is that the moon is god then that is their belief as far as I'm concerned.
When discussing laws, there is no requirement to prove that your beliefs are part of some doctrine of a major religion. Heck, I could write a "holy book" and make my own religion of I so choose. All religions are man made.

The question is do you think that the state should be determining what is a religious belief or not?

Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
False. You are not required to serve people as a business. In fact, you can specify that you will only do business with certain people for any reason. The government stepped in and simply stated that you can refuse for any reason you like, just not based on the specific ones. Heck, the law doesn't care how bigoted you are, it doesn't care how mean, unfair or insulting you are, you can refuse to serve anyone for any reason outside of those specific clauses. So, again, you seem to not understand what rights are and you also don't seem to understand the law either.

Sure, you are forced into slavery to serve others as the law demands, which also happens to violate the very clause it claims to protect. By the way, someone can refuse you and not give a reason. A business does not have to serve you if it chooses not to and it can refuse to give a reason why, if pressed by the law, they can make up anything they like.

You don't have a right to demand someone serve you.

Can a business turn you away and refuse to serve you for any reason as long as it does not fall within the anti-discrimination laws?

Sure they can but that doesn't mean they should. A proper business would serve anyone who wasn't harming them. People have a right to shop wherever they want as long as they have the money.
If they wanted to exclude people then they should have not put their business out there in the public.

Of course people can usually just take their business elsewhere but should they have to?

It's not slavery. It's called doing your job. If you want to get paid then you should provide good customer service. If they consider it slavery then they should find another way to make money because by making their business this is what they signed up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies