Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 06:30 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

This is unfortunate,the freeze should include all depts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
SO......we are on the cusp of tax season. Are IRS employees apart of this?If so, everybody's who's excited, don't start crying about how long it takes.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:34 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
SO......we are on the cusp of tax season. Are IRS employees apart of this?If so, everybody's who's excited, don't start crying about how long it takes.
Don't overpay your taxes, it's an intrest free loan to crooks. And if it slows down the audits, even better.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:34 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
That's freaking awesome!
Remember that, when you try to reach the govt and can't get through. Or something from the govt you're supposed to receive is late. Or there aren't enough ICE employees to handle the deportations.

Obama had done massive cuts in federal employment during the recession. I expect new hires are a plan to slowly rebuild areas where there's a shortage.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This is unfortunate,the freeze should include all depts
Yep. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Please. I've held 3 government jobs. Only 1 paid lower than it should have, the other 2 I was ridiculously overpaid. I mean...RIDICULOUSLY overpaid for what I did. Those who say that Federal Employees are poor are full of it.

By the way, one of my jobs required me to keep a log on the miles I drove. I was meticulous, but not once did anyone ever sit down with me and ask me how I came up with the amount of miles that I did. No, they did not match what the job said the miles were...they were always more, but no oversight. I never lied, but I have no idea if anyone else did.

Oh this is why so upset with the FEDs-- why leave

Old 01-23-2017, 06:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
totally pointless, but im sure the libertarians are thrilled

wasn't he talking about NASA, and space exploration, and all that? Kind of difficult to do it without well-paid engineers and scientists.
Did he say a freeze permanently? I think that there should be a review of staffing v.s actual needs.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That didn't answer my questions.

Does the federal hiring freeze include positions he has not filled yet? Those are federal jobs.
Does the hiring freeze include federal judges and the supreme court? Those are federal jobs.

the letter states anyone NOT hired by 1-22-17 and in the queue??? and certain jobs are appointed not sired so the judge and few other be OK

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Security people, no doubt.
Deportations Force is "security". I guess anyone can be labeled security.

The concern here in Florida is hurricane response, and response to other natural disasters.

Seems like Trump does things just for the same of doing them without thinking it through.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
So basically this does nothing really and is only for 90 days.

Quote:
This order does not include or apply to military personnel. The head of any executive department or agency may exempt from the hiring freeze any positions that it deems necessary to meet national security or public safety responsibilities. In addition, the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) may grant exemptions from this freeze where those exemptions are otherwise necessary.
So no military freeze, any executive head can exempt positions they deem necessary to fill, and there are also general exemptions that can be granted.

Quote:
This memorandum does not limit the nomination and appointment of officials to positions requiring Presidential appointment or Senate confirmation, the appointment of officials to non-career positions in the Senior Executive Service or to Schedule C positions in the Excepted Service, or the appointment of any other officials who serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
It also doesn't apply to Trumps new hires or the people they hire.

http://www.fedsmith.com/2017/01/23/d...hiring-freeze/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies