Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Vacant positions won't be filled so more work for remaining employees. So let's say there's a vacancy at social security processing checks, or the IRS processing tax returns, there will be a delay as less people will be doing the same amount of work as more people did previously. With national parks and forests, they rely on thousands of seasonal workers who are normally being hired right now and in the next few months.

Oh great. Did they pass this already? Because I'm seeing a delay now.

Just what I thought/feared. Him being a bastard as per usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM

35,760 posts, read 21,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Did he say a freeze permanently? I think that there should be a review of staffing v.s actual needs.

plan is requested to CUT govt by attrition etc in 90 days they want a plan

Old 01-23-2017, 06:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
plan is requested to CUT govt by attrition etc in 90 days they want a plan
So it won't be for 90 days? Maybe I'm safe.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The Dept of Education isn't responsible for national security. The feds have a constitutional responsibility to maintain national security, therefore the DoD isn't getting the freeze.
DoD has just as much waste and redundancy as every other federal department. MORE actually.

Why shouldn't they face cuts and freezes?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM

57,422 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Letting attrition take it's course isn't really a plan, they need to review each department and determine the cuts.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
The word I'm getting from my contacts is the freeze does apply to the temporary/seasonal hiring these freezes didn't apply to in the past. So all you westerners might be in for a mess of a fire season. I'm assuming some closed campgrounds in the parks and forests too so a blow to the tourism industry.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Please. I've held 3 government jobs. Only 1 paid lower than it should have, the other 2 I was ridiculously overpaid. I mean...RIDICULOUSLY overpaid for what I did. Those who say that Federal Employees are poor are full of it.

By the way, one of my jobs required me to keep a log on the miles I drove. I was meticulous, but not once did anyone ever sit down with me and ask me how I came up with the amount of miles that I did. No, they did not match what the job said the miles were...they were always more, but no oversight. I never lied, but I have no idea if anyone else did.
On this, I've also had 3 government jobs. All except one was severely underpaid for my field, those were not federal jobs though.

I do think that the executive level management are very much overpaid in government but I also think the same thing of private sector executives who are paid way more than government ones. Many of the SES and other federal government executives have a cap on salary and they never make more than $500k usually. In the private sector you have people doing similar jobs making millions per year. Government does get better benefits and retirement plans (federal does but not all state or local employees do though) but if you are making over $1 million a year, you have way more disposable income to buy a better healthcare plan and to put money away into retirement accounts.

On your mileage, I've been that person who checks people's mileage. I had a director who was VERY anal about mileage and we had a lot of fights with employees about it. The director also had me verifying the location of people who were management on our staff via badge swipes because they were concerned that the employees were using government time to work their side businesses.

So mileage depends on your director. Two of the directors I worked under required us to use googlemaps only for mileage even if you went a different way, you could only get mileage based on the shortest distance showing for googlemaps or mapquest. No exceptions. We had a few employees who turned a conference into a vacation and would drive to those conferences across the country and try to get mileage too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
interesting detail-

"Contracting outside the Government to circumvent the intent of this memorandum shall not be permitted."

http://www.fedsmith.com/2017/01/23/d....kaqEx4gv.dpuf
This was interesting being that his goal is to reduce the number of federal employees. He campaigned on providing decent paying jobs for regular Americans and now is seeking to terminate federal employees and put them on the UE rolls. Practically all government employees who get let go are the lower level employees like office staff and those people more than likely won't ever find jobs again that pay as well as what they were making with government.

It is interesting to me that government employees are not seen as "people" who have "jobs." A majority of them are low level employees who don't make much money at all.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-24-2017 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,814,808 times
Does the freeze apply to the VA as well?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Does the freeze apply to the VA as well?
Yep.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,814,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yep.
Interesting. You would think someone who ran on trying to improve the VA would have included that as an exemption as he did with the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies