Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Tell me, how many of those people were refugees?
Some of them were a couple of generations in which tells me Trump is right to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
I think you misunderstand the ban. The ban is not against Muslims. It's against people from some Muslim-dominated countries.

There is no way to ban Muslims, since the only way to know if they're Muslims is to ask them. Of course they'll deny they're Muslims, if they want entry. So we can ban only an entire area that has a lot of Muslims.

Having said all that, I see the common sense in the ban, since we have seen the death and destruction done by refugees in other countries. Other countries took in the refugees to help them, and what they got in return was terrorists killing them cruelly, instead of a thank you.

OTOH, it saddens me that some needy refugees who are desperate can't seek refuge here. Our country's history is that we take in people who are being persecuted elsewhere. Our forefathers organized our country based on the principle. Our ancestors fled to America for that very reason.

Some have said that the biggest threat to us is not from terrorists, but from the mass shootings we've had. I think that's true. The mass shootings we've had have been done mainly by white males with assault weapons. The politicians who have been shot have been shot by white males with guns, not terrorists.

Still, we had the Boston bombing, that military mass shooting by one of our own who was a Muslim, and there have been other instances.

So, I don't know the answer. Is it better to let in a few terrorists for the sake of saving the truly deserving and desperate people who will die, if we don't admit them? Or is it better to protect ourselves against terrorists and deny admittance to everyone from those areas, knowing that some good people will die? I don't know.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
The fundamental character of this country is at risk. This basically goes against our entire U.S. history, and makes us a pariah state worse than Iran or Saudi Arabia (neither which have blanket travel bans on any religion).

This is absolutely insane, and I am dumbfounded how an American could seriously defend a ban on LEGAL citizens and residents from entering the country based on their religion or country of origin. I would never be born if Trump was in power when my parents met.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
I do have friends and family that come from a Muslim majority country, so I'm definitely personally concerned about the possibility of Trump expanding the ban. I'm more upset, though, about what my country has become. We've given in to cowardice instead of maintaining our tradition of being a haven for the downtrodden, a tradition that has benefitted us as a nation.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
How does it effect your life positively? Most Trump supporters live in areas of the country that have no Muslims or refugees; the only information they get comes straight from the fearmongoring right wing media.
I used to live in an area with many illegal aliens, and that is why I hate those people.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,090 times
Quote:
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
I honestly wonder if the people getting so up in arms about this cared in the least when Obama was ordering twice as many drone strikes in the middle east that Bush ever did which often hit civilians by mistake or as collateral damage.

NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The foundation of the United States is at risk. You are an immigrant unless you are Native American. We used to be know as the "free world". Trump has ruined that it the first days of his presidency. We are now an embarrassment.
The first colonist came in 1584 and the first successful colony was in 1607 so your idea that we are all immigrants is not true. Our nation was formed in 1776 so that is several generations of people born on American soil before the country was formed. An immigrant is someone who arrives in a country AFTER it is formed. Those who were born on American soil and were here at the time our nation was formed are founding fathers and not immigrants. People born inside the USA borders are NOT immigrants.

We were at the time the nation was formed and thereafter mostly not immigrants. We have immigration laws that are supposed to keep it that way. Too many immigrants compromises our national security. That is why we have immigration laws.

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Rights should be granted for American citizens. I don't see American citizens being banned from their own country.
My only problem is the permanent residents being banned reentry. As someone who went through permanent residency there is a clause that after 12-18 months after receiving the green card ( which takes years), the US must treat them equal to citizens as far as legal matters. The US removes all conditions to residency, even if the permanent resident breaks the law they can not lose their residency, but they can be denied citizenship if they apply later. My guess is this is the grounds for the federal judge blocking Trumps executive order. No other visa is treated this way and they can get canceled at anytime.

I'm not against banning refugees or even getting rid of visas for some specific countries. But, obviously there is going to be a legal battle when applying this to people who have paid out money to get residency or other types of visas. Getting a green card takes years and costs $4-10K, not pocket change.

It will be interesting to see Trumps next move. This ban was only for 90 days as well... I don't see the excitement of those who support it or oppose it.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
And this is what scares the ever loving SH#T out of the liberal's.

RR
Don't reduce this to politics. There is a genuine difference of opinion on this.

I see the logic of the ban, and I see the reason for not having a ban. I am torn on the subject. But that doesn't mean that either side is taking a position for a purely political reason (for or against Trump). There really is a genuine difference of opinion.

Reasonable people can disagree, and both positions can be reasonable. This is a difficult subject. Or it SHOULD be. I would question that someone would find this an easy decision. Not to think deeply on our country's history and what the refugees are going through would show a callousness that is, frankly, unAmerican. Just as not to think deeply on what may happen when we admit Muslims from a war torn area, knowing that citizens in other countries who have admitted them have been killed by them, shows a disregard for our own safety.

This is a tough decision.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
And this is what scares the ever loving SH#T out of the liberal's.

RR
Absolutely correct.

What the gnashing teeth zombie liberals don't realize is all the protesting and nasty behavior will drive more people into the President Trump camp. A society can't prosper without law and order. Especially a nation constructed on the rule of law. The democrats are the party of anarchy and chaos. There will never be prosperity with them in power until they get a grip on reality. There is nothing to suggest that will happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies