Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
How does it effect your life positively? Most Trump supporters live in areas of the country that have no Muslims or refugees; the only information they get comes straight from the fearmongoring right wing media.

This is horse crap and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think you misunderstand the ban. The ban is not against Muslims. It's against people from some Muslim-dominated countries.

There is no way to ban Muslims, since the only way to know if they're Muslims is to ask them. Of course they'll deny they're Muslims, if they want entry. So we can ban only an entire area that has a lot of Muslims.

Having said all that, I see the common sense in the ban, since we have seen the death and destruction done by refugees in other countries. Other countries took in the refugees to help them, and what they got in return was terrorists killing them cruelly, instead of a thank you.

OTOH, it saddens me that some needy refugees who are desperate can't seek refuge here. Our country's history is that we take in people who are being persecuted elsewhere. Our forefathers organized our country based on the principle. Our ancestors fled to America for that very reason.

Some have said that the biggest threat to us is not from terrorists, but from the mass shootings we've had. I think that's true. The mass shootings we've had have been done mainly by white males with assault weapons. The politicians who have been shot have been shot by white males with guns, not terrorists.

Still, we had the Boston bombing, that military mass shooting by one of our own who was a Muslim, and there have been other instances.

So, I don't know the answer. Is it better to let in a few terrorists for the sake of saving the truly deserving and desperate people who will die, if we don't admit them? Or is it better to protect ourselves against terrorists and deny admittance to everyone from those areas, knowing that some good people will die? I don't know.

Oh WoW! I just agreed with this! The sky IS falling under Trump... OR... the Libertarian in me reasons through the BS, including the jingoism and says, "Wait a minute... that makes sense or that makes no sense."

Good post bpollen... Dagnabit!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't reduce this to politics. There is a genuine difference of opinion on this.

I see the logic of the ban, and I see the reason for not having a ban. I am torn on the subject. But that doesn't mean that either side is taking a position for a purely political reason (for or against Trump). There really is a genuine difference of opinion.

Reasonable people can disagree, and both positions can be reasonable. This is a difficult subject. Or it SHOULD be. I would question that someone would find this an easy decision. Not to think deeply on our country's history and what the refugees are going through would show a callousness that is, frankly, unAmerican. Just as not to think deeply on what may happen when we admit Muslims from a war torn area, knowing that citizens in other countries who have admitted them have been killed by them, shows a disregard for our own safety.

This is a tough decision.

Another great post from bpollen?! Now I KNOW the sky IS falling. Run for your lives everyone! The sky is falling!!!

Great post! Well reasoned words everyone should consider.

Next thing you know I'm gonna be wearing a pink kitty hat on my head, screaming about how men hate vaginas or some silly stuff like that. Ok, I bet that will NEVER happen, so... I'm gonna go take my temperature and check to see if I have any signs of coming down with some illness because... Wow! That's two posts in a row. Maybe the sky IS falling.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:21 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
[quote=NOLA101;46996713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I'll just drop these here:

Migrants linked to 69,000 would-be or actual crimes in Germany in first three months of 2016: police | Reuters

You realize this shows a very low crime rate for migrants, right?

Germany has like 10 million migrants. If there are 69,000 "would be or actual crimes" for 10 million residents, that would be a significantly lower crime rate than in the U.S. You would actually lower the U.S. crime rate if you moved these migrants to the U.S.

The yearly number would be closer to 276,000 rather than the 69,000 for only three months. That would be over a quarter of a million crimes from a population of 10 million.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If Trump thinks he can take away the rights of those with Green cards, people who are legal permanent residents, then who is to say he won't try to take away some of the rights we have as US citizens?

Who is to say some liberal "won't try to take away some of the rights we have as US citizens?" Let's round up all those liberals and declare them unfit, then lock 'em up in insane asylums like San Francisco! < Did you see what I just did there? I sarcastically made an equally absurd statement based on irresponsibly assigning my artificially made up perspective of what someone else MIGHT do based on zero evidence or fact.

Do we really want to go down that road? I assure you I am capable of dreaming up some real doozies if that's where you really want this to go. Or if you would prefer, we could act like reasonable adults, debating pros and cons, then if we disagree, agree to disagree.

As for me... I have no problem with pausing all immigration from certain countries until we have a process in place where we can be certain the immigrants are properly vetted and not potential terrorists. I think that makes sense.

I also think it is irresponsible to deny entry to people with existing lawful entry status absent some form of lawful due process.

Everyone, citizen or not, has a natural right to due process. If people seek to come to this country, they should be given some form of due process, even if it is only to review their application and deny it based on specific, well reasoned and established criteria.

Vet people. Make sure they would be a good fit with this nation, rather than being hell bent on destroying it. We already have plenty of American citizens who fit that latter category, and they represent ALL areas of the political spectrum, ALL religions or lack of, ALL races, as well as just about any other demographic you can come up with. Just like a smart employer should try to vet and screen potential employees, a smart nation should do everything possible to do the same with those seeking entrance into their country.

But that's just MY opinion, fwiw.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Oh WoW! I just agreed with this! The sky IS falling under Trump... OR... the Libertarian in me reasons through the BS, including the jingoism and says, "Wait a minute... that makes sense or that makes no sense."

Good post bpollen... Dagnabit!
Attached Thumbnails
How does Trump's ban on refugees from certain countries affect YOUR life negatively?-fb_img_1485695222798.jpg  

Old 01-29-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't understand this post. There are no Muslims from any of this Trump directive who do any of these things. Trump banned Muslims from countries with 0 such incidents. Not one American has been killed from any migrant from any of these countries. Not one terrorist attack.

But he is allowing migrants from Saudi Arabia, the world's terrorist hotbed, and source of 9-11. Can you explain the logic of allowing Saudis if you want to protect Americans from Islamic Terror, while banning countries with no terror incidents?

And there were lots of Jewish terrorists in Europe around WW2. Jews resisted The Nazis, and many Americans considered the Jews to be terrorists. Jews were assasinating German politicans, killing civillians, setting off bombs, etc. It was very easy for the America First movement of the time to ban Jews from entering the U.S.

I am of the opinion that the specific reason the Trump Administration chose these specific countries lies in the fact that they are very destabilized nations with very weak forms of government control. This makes it much more difficult for our nation to vet people coming from these nations. Saudi Arabia for example does NOT have a destabilized government. They have a pretty accurate paper trail on every citizen. You can bet that nation has a pretty good idea of who most of the troublemakers of that nation are, which makes that information much easier to get when we try to vet someone coming from that nation.

If you actually think about it, this really isn't that difficult to understand. It isn't rocket surgery.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
Increases ISIS recruitment, threatens our integrity to the world, goes against our founding principles, and if Trump is willing to ban one minority group, he'll do it to others. And some of us are actually decent human beings, who care about other people (Republicans of course, are not decent human beings which is why they're ok with these fascist tactics).

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But we allow immigration and travel from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia? I'm sorry but that demonstrates to me that there is NO common sense in this executive order, none whatsoever.

I am going to repeat my comment made to someone else, just so you might take the time to read it.

I wrote:
Quote:
I am of the opinion that the specific reason the Trump Administration chose these specific countries lies in the fact that they are very destabilized nations with very weak forms of government control. This makes it much more difficult for our nation to vet people coming from these nations. Saudi Arabia for example does NOT have a destabilized government. They have a pretty accurate paper trail on every citizen. You can bet that nation has a pretty good idea of who most of the troublemakers of that nation are, which makes that information much easier to get when we try to vet someone coming from that nation.

If you actually think about it, this really isn't that difficult to understand. It isn't rocket surgery.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It works great for ISIS recruiting, turning it into a very clear religious war instead of terrorists vs the US. As such, people I care about in the military are endangered.

Additionally it makes us less safe.
That's such a silly argument -- ISIS will find any and every excuse to recruit, doesn't matter what we do.
You honestly think if we let unvetted refugees in ISIS is going to stop recruiting?

How many times have they stated that they are planning on sneaking their terrorists in with the refugees??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies