Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
This is horse crap and you know it.
Actually, it's quite true. Right wingers live in a bubble where they don't deal with people different than them and thus are easily preyed on with fear. And the vast majority watch Fox News, which is proven to make people less informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,574,734 times
How does Trump's ban on refugees affect your life negatively?

It doesn't.

ISIS has repeatedly stated they will use the refugee program to sneak their terrorists in.
Enough said....

Old 01-29-2017, 07:02 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
Of course, such a rhetorical question may be applied to many situations. For instance, a young woman addicted to meth in Fort Worth, whom opts to have an abortion, would not affect you in the slightest. Yet, a lot of people would demand she have the baby.

As for the ban, I have not read where Syrian refugees have done any harm. I recall when we had a lot (I do not recall the number) of refugees from Vietnam come to this country in the 1970s, including in Fort Worth. You had a segment of society that proclaimed doom and gloom, yet they settled in nicely.

I think that this executive order was done in haste and was poorly drafted. There was not much forethought given to the wording, or how it would affect those already in transit, etc. There was certainly no thought on how the reputation of the United States would be affected worldwide. From what I seem, this action has generally resulted in a loss of respect for the United States.

I would not disagree with measured steps regarding the refugee program. I would also be interested in seeing what President Trump regards as 'extreme' vetting: since it is already a lengthy process (up to two years in some cases), I don't see what 'extreme' would entail. If all information available concerning an applicant has been discovered, then what else can one do?

I also tend to think that such actions will create more problems than it solves. You already had young Muslim men that answered the call for extremism (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.). There are probably many a thousand that have been 'on the fence', and if they perceive that the United States is now 'at war' with their faith, they may jump said fence.

Finally, I am surprised at how some people act like they did not expect such actions by President Trump. One only has to think of the old parable concerning the snake and the trusting young girl: the snake assures her it will not bite her; she picks up the snake, and it bites her. Objecting to being bitten, the snake responds "You knew what I was when you picked me up". Just so here. I did not vote for Mr. Trump since I knew what he was.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Not everybody in the world cares only about their own well being. Every person who supports the refugee ban and calls themselves Christian is a fake Christian.
Exactly. And for those constantly harping about safety, that excuse is getting very old now. Are we going to punish every single brown person who ever lived until the end of time because of the actions of a few?

And are we actually so afraid of our "safety" that we can't allow immigration without fear? We will all die sometime and becoming more and more restrictive about an exxagerated "terror threat" will not prevent it.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
Europe is way ahead of us with letting refugees in and that went over like a punch in the face.

Know what they call doing the same thing over and expecting different results?

Nah, Lefty Logic

Old 01-29-2017, 07:23 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Government actions - even well thought out, thoroughly examined, well intentioned government actions - have unintended negative consequences.

This one may not effect you, personally - but the next poorly conceived, rushed through, non thought out one might.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:28 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. And for those constantly harping about safety, that excuse is getting very old now. Are we going to punish every single brown person who ever lived until the end of time because of the actions of a few?

And are we actually so afraid of our "safety" that we can't allow immigration without fear? We will all die sometime and becoming more and more restrictive about an exxagerated "terror threat" will not prevent it.
Has crime increased in Europe with the recent Immigration? Has Rapes, bombings increased?

No need to repeat their mistakes here in the US

Old 01-29-2017, 07:30 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
How does Trump's ban on refugees affect your life negatively?

It doesn't.

ISIS has repeatedly stated they will use the refugee program to sneak their terrorists in.
Enough said....
Good job buying into ISIS propoganda.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Because Mo Farah can't come home to the country. An amazing legendary runner and a Knight of Great Britain. Born in Somalia became a Great Britain citizen and now resides in the US.

What is it going to do? Where there is a will there is a way these individuals will probably find a way in. All this does is motivate those who dislike the US to dislike us even more.

With that said the US needed to figure a better way to track and vet incoming refugees. I could see a 6 month hiatus of taking in refugees till thing's are sorted out.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Stop with the treats because no one cares. Vote for who you want. Trump in his first week has caused major chaos. And there will never be prosperity until Trump gets a grip on reality. But a narcissist is in his own reality. Do you see the problem or do you just want to brush it aside and ignore it.

How do you think this happened? Seems to me that the real chaos is not being caused by Trump (who is doing, by the way, nothing that is much different from Obama who ordered the stoppage on processing anyone from Iraq for 6 months, or Jimmy Carter who stopped Iranian immigrants from coming over as well, and even ordered that Iranian students report in while in the US) but by the people protesting all of this and making a big fuss over it. Trump is using the same list that Obama published to determine which countries to put on his list as the worst terrorist nations, places from which it seems quite prudent to require refugees or anyone to undergo a lot of scrutiny before admittance.

The vetting system currently in place really does need re-evaluating because so many are coming in without any documentation, with forged documentation, with documentation that was issued in intermediate countries based on records that don't exist or which were forged .. and over which we have no control or access to. In many cases we really only have the word of the refugee (who comes from a culture that doesn't see lying as a bad thing at all, in fact demands it at times) to go on when deciding if that person is the kind of person who will make a good US citizen some day.

You all criticize this but if ONE incident happens in this country because of ONE person who was either not vetted properly under Trump's administration (only a week old now but you are adamantly refusing to give him breathing room while he figures out what is the best way to proceed here) or where someone was admitted (who shouldn't have been) just because you screamed so loudly or went to a liberal judge to demand they grant injunctions that will probably be cut short after real reason enters the picture or because the media and the protesters may be giving the world the impression that this is a nation divided and now is the time to strike, you will be the first on the front lines screaming once again that Trump didn't do his job.

You want it both ways! You want Trump to let them all in, no matter who they are or what their true intent is, and yet it is also Trump's fault if one of them was the wrong kind of person to let in? The rest of us would just prefer to err on the side of caution and you are calling US the idiots?

Last edited by Aery11; 01-29-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies