Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The foundation of the United States is at risk. You are an immigrant unless you are Native American. We used to be know as the "free world". Trump has ruined that it the first days of his presidency. We are now an embarrassment.
That isn't the foundation of the United States, its just a sonnet by a new yorker, not policy, not law, not the constitution. There have been immigration restrictions in the US as long as there has been a United States. In the year before that poem was written was another immigration "ban". Trumps decision is nothing new for the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1882

"native americans" immigrated here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
Well, I was under the impression that the ban would only apply to refugees. Not to Ivy League attendees with green cards.

I don't want refugees here, but if someone is obviously going to be of true value to society, I think applying such a sweeping ban to them only generates hostility from other countries.

Iran is already about to ban US citizens - what if other countries band together to do the same as "protest" against Trump?

There goes career opportunities abroad.
There goes business opportunities abroad.
There goes the ability to travel in general (which is a huge part of who I am).

Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So you look forward to seeing more people in the country turn away from religion, buy you want to......bring tens of thousands of very religious people into the country? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I look forward to young people turning away from the hypocrites. Not ALL churches are like that but unfortunately, the good ones are going down with the bad.

Kim Davis and her ilk has given Christianity a bad name. Along with the thrice married, kitty grabber, dirty old man that you just elected President. And his cohort, the white nationalist Steve Bannon. The evangelicals gave them their unqualified support. Hypocrites.

I am not focused on the religion of refugees.

Did we not participate in the bombing of Syria? WE are the ones who helped destroy their homeland. WE should now offer them help ~ I don't care what their religion is.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
I see a bunch of people freaking out acting like this will have a negative impact on their lives. Unless you are a refugee who ONLY wants to go to the US, then why are you whining? Do you want more potential criminals pouring into the US? Syrian refugees have done more harm than good. What do you have to gain in life from letting in a bunch of undocumented foreigners?
How will gay marriage have a negative effect on your life?
How will abortion have a negative effect on your life?
How will legalized marijuana have a negative effect on your life?

Please do tell

Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, fair enough but please explain why isn't Afghanistan on the list?
My best guess is because not only do we have a major military presence there, they also have a fairly cooperative and pretty well established government there. Our military works hand in hand with the Afghani government. They appear to be working toward the same goal.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:

If you want Muslim refugees so bad, then why don't you host them in your own home?
This explains why many white conservatives brush off racism..... it doesnt affect their life.

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-29-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:

Beyond the reasons already elucidated, I oppose the ban because it's a scorched earth policy that destabilizes foreign relations, putting American citizens legitimately traveling, working, and living in other parts of the world at risk. Furthermore, it incites radicalism of U.S. residents with foreign ties or sympathies, potentially leading to more acts of domestic terrorism.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-29-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:30 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Many Democrat controlled places would have massive depopulation without immigration. Refugees are perfect for places that most international immigrants would overlook because you force them where to live. It gives a place like Erie PA and chance to gain population, tax revenue, and get lots of money from the feds. I live just outside Louisville KY, which places large numbers of refugees in bad neighborhoods to basically force gentrification. It gives the city some revenue from formerly vacant houses and increases the variety of restaurants. Louisville has a surprisingly large number of Middle Eastern restaurants due to refugees.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I look forward to young people turning away from the hypocrites. Not ALL churches are like that but unfortunately, the good ones are going down with the bad.

Kim Davis and her ilk has given Christianity a bad name. Along with the thrice married, kitty grabber, dirty old man that you just elected President. And his cohort, the white nationalist Steve Bannon. The evangelicals gave them their unqualified support. Hypocrites.

I am not focused on the religion of refugees.

Did we not participate in the bombing of Syria? WE are the ones who helped destroy their homeland. WE should now offer them help ~ I don't care what their religion is.
You aren't focused on the refugees' religion? This is the problem. You should be, especially if you have a bug up your ***** about religious people, as you seem to have.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:

Oh my life is not affected if he kills the entire world except me and my loved ones so that means I should quit stop complaining about what this guy does until that happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies