Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Absolutely correct.

What the gnashing teeth zombie liberals don't realize is all the protesting and nasty behavior will drive more people into the President Trump camp. A society can't prosper without law and order. Especially a nation constructed on the rule of law. The democrats are the party of anarchy and chaos. There will never be prosperity with them in power until they get a grip on reality. There is nothing to suggest that will happen anytime soon.
Had he not allowed Bannon to add green card holders and permanent residents to his executive order, and if he had given even a few days notice to travelers, then I doubt if 'gnashing teeth zombie liberals' would be as upset as they are, but he didn't. He made a big mistake and either didn't consider how people would react to this, or he doesn't care, but he blew it bigley and right now, it's all bad for him and his administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It's called virtue signaling g. My complaining about this it makes them look "good".simple as that
I couldn't have said this better. Look, if you want to vehemently protest about it, I would totally condone you if actually had relatives living there. Virtual signalling is outright pathetic.

"First they come for the muslims, and we said, Not today mother ****er" - Lol, really? Do they realize how many Muslims hold barbaric antisemitic views, are extremely homophobic and treat women as second class citizens. No, it's not because of their race, but it's because of their religion.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Well let's see all of my friends with green cards and dual citizenship. Or my friends parents that meet thisbcriteria can no longer travel freely. They are worried. And we know this list of countries will only grow. So I have empathy for my fellow community members.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:55 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It works great for ISIS recruiting, turning it into a very clear religious war instead of terrorists vs the US. As such, people I care about in the military are endangered.

Additionally it makes us less safe.
If Islamists are really that unstable (to pledge allegiance over ISIS to what Trump says), they should NOT be in this country. You completely negated your own argument.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think you misunderstand the ban. The ban is not against Muslims. It's against people from some Muslim-dominated countries.

There is no way to ban Muslims, since the only way to know if they're Muslims is to ask them. Of course they'll deny they're Muslims, if they want entry. So we can ban only an entire area that has a lot of Muslims.

Having said all that, I see the common sense in the ban, since we have seen the death and destruction done by refugees in other countries. Other countries took in the refugees to help them, and what they got in return was terrorists killing them cruelly, instead of a thank you.

OTOH, it saddens me that some needy refugees who are desperate can't seek refuge here. Our country's history is that we take in people who are being persecuted elsewhere. Our forefathers organized our country based on the principle. Our ancestors fled to America for that very reason.

Some have said that the biggest threat to us is not from terrorists, but from the mass shootings we've had. I think that's true. The mass shootings we've had have been done mainly by white males with assault weapons. The politicians who have been shot have been shot by white males with guns, not terrorists.

Still, we had the Boston bombing, that military mass shooting by one of our own who was a Muslim, and there have been other instances.

So, I don't know the answer. Is it better to let in a few terrorists for the sake of saving the truly deserving and desperate people who will die, if we don't admit them? Or is it better to protect ourselves against terrorists and deny admittance to everyone from those areas, knowing that some good people will die? I don't know.
That's some very intelligent and level-headed analysis. Bravo!

Like you mentioned, this is not a Muslim ban at all, it's simply temporary and meant to seek out oppressed religious minorities (some of which are Muslims, like Kurds) in Middle Eastern nations.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
If Islamists are really that unstable (to pledge allegiance over ISIS to what Trump says), they should NOT be in this country. You completely negated your own argument.
But the problem in our country is with radicalized US citizens. And US citizens cannot be deported, even if they commit a mass murder or any other horrific act. So no, the argument is not negated.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:08 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
The question is so illogical no matter your stance on the issue. Many things that happen don't effect the majority of people but it's not a litmus test.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But the problem in our country is with radicalized US citizens. And US citizens cannot be deported, even if they commit a mass murder or any other horrific act. So no, the argument is not negated.
So we should cower to obviously unstable people who hate Western civilization? If we act as if radical Islam isn't a problem, we are letting the terrorists win and gain control.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The most ironic part is the fact that even Jewish groups are against Trump's ban on refugees.
Because they know what can happen when refugees are turned away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis
The MS St. Louis was a German ocean liner most notable for a single voyage in 1939, in which its captain, Gustav Schröder, tried to find homes for 908 Jewish refugees from Germany. After they were denied entry to Cuba, the United States, and Canada, the refugees were finally accepted in various European countries, and historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them died in death camps during World War II.
200+ Jewish refugees died in concentration camps after the US refused them entry. You really think they're for turning away refugees?

Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 PM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
So we should cower to obviously unstable people who hate Western civilization?
No.
How about just basic humanity?

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f.../11/Aleppo.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies