Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times

Advertisements

Somehow, some way... the liberals believe the Russians were involved...

Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

It's not the same. A circuit court has a check on it. Bad decisions can be reversed. The SCOTUS does not. A fascist judge in the 10th would not be that big a deal. But in the Supreme Court? And like everything else in life, simply because one is qualified for a less responsible position does not mean one can handle the top job - witness Trump himself.
This just doesn't hold water, frankly. There might have been a time in this nation's past where a member of the U.S. Supreme Court could have been said to have reached the pinnacle of American jurisprudence, but I think we will both agree that day have long since passed.

After all, the last two SC appointments were made largely because the nominees checked off a certain number of EEOC boxes, and for little other reason. Neither was particularly renowned for outstanding decisions or landmark legal opinions; to be certain, the last one, Elena Kagan, had never served as a judge at all. From all appearances, Kagan was nominated primarily as a sop to the LBTGQ community, while Sotomayor was a token offering to the Latino community. Sotomayor did have at least some judicial experience, but most of that experience would have to be charitably characterized as undistinguished at best.

So, this concept of the "top guy" fills the "top job"...we got rid of that notion as far as the Supreme Court is concerned a while back. You'll need to get with the times here, bud.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Millions of Americans find themselves unable to find work because of mistakes they made in high school. For a job THIS important, any flirtation with fascism should be disqualifying.
funny, then Obama should have been disqualified as POTUS for hanging around with Commies and Domestic Terrorists and being a druggie in HS.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:31 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
This might be my favorite anti-Trump thread to date.

He wrote a satirical newspaper in high school!! The horror!!! Off with his head!!!

Oh the anti-Trump hysteria is the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Comparing offenses that someone has been arrested for in HS to someone exercising their free speech is bit of a stretch especially if that offense was violent. I don't know about you but my political ideology evolved significantly between the time I was 16 and m mid twenties.

Should a HS student protesting Trump be denied a job in the future?
Bingo, we have a winner.

Liberals who do not understand that their tactics/actions are more fascist than anything the conservatives are doing, do not understand their unintended consequences. They cannot except pragmatism of delayed gratification, so they push for what they want now, and future consequences be damned.

A classic example is when the Senate Republicans contemplated the "nuclear option" back in the mid 2000's, and the Democrats made impassioned speeches on how it would bring an end to our country. The (R's) thankfully decided against it, and everything returned to normal. However when the Senate (D's) took control in 2008, guess what they did?

You guessed it, they turned around and did exactly what they said should never be done. So the massive hypocrisy was not only lost on them, but even Joe Biden's football analogy warning to the (R's), saying "you hold the field today, but you wont hold it forever. And I pray to God that in the future when the (D's) have control that we don't make the type of naked power grab that you are doing", was lost on them when that is exactly what they did.
He was astute enough to know that, yet when the (D's) got into power, they instituted the nuclear option.

Now that they are back out of power, they are screaming bloody murder that the (R's) are going to keep what they put in place.
You just cannot make this rubbish up.

For those of you not familiar with what I am talking about, or assume it is fake news, listen and watch Obama, Hillary, Schumer, Reid, etc. for yourself;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjdbjrXiobQ

The irony is that I agreed with the (D's) on this issue, and was happy to see that the (R's) didn't go through with it . Yet you heard all those (D's) back then go against everything they stood on principle for. Doesn't say very much for their integrity, does it?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
when i was in HS I had a rebel flag in the back window of my truck. Now I realize how silly I was as I lived in the north and had no connection with the south. Also in HS I wore a purple silk shirt and a white vest to a school dance - also very silly.

It's high school for gods sake.
The high school I had attended, added the title, "South" to its name, due to a split into two schools at opposite ends of town. So they started waving Confederate flags around and chanting that, "The South shall rise again!", at athletic contests. It took about 10 years for public opinion to convince them of the error of their ways. Today, in the politically ultra-correct mindset of this town, anyone doing such a thing, would be tarred and feathered.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just like the 'Pubs didn't care about the fact that Merrick Garland had been easily confirmed as a Circuit Court judge when they decided to ignore their Constitutional duties and not even give him the courtesy of a hearing and a vote on his Supreme Court nomination. Like that kind of not caring, you mean?

Republicans have ZERO moral high ground on this.

2007: Sen Chuck Schumer said...

"We are not going to confirm any of George W Bush's supreme court nominees before the election of 2008".

Sorry...you reap what you sow, democrats.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:57 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This was when he was in high school, over 30 years ago. Get a better argument than this. It doesn't hold any water at all, and I'm pretty liberal.
Quote:
Millions of Americans find themselves unable to find work because of mistakes they made in high school. For a job THIS important, any flirtation with fascism should be disqualifying.
Hey glad, are you THAT desperate?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
If selling a couple dime bags can disqualify one from delivering UPS packages, surely a history of fascism should disqualify one from a lifetime appointment on the highest court in the land. It's too big of a risk with the actual future of our nation at stake.
Wow, you're not qualified to work at UPS? UPS???? Dude, you got a lot more to worry about than spending time posting garbage on c-d!!!

UPS??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 02-02-2017, 01:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
I think we can all relax, one way or another Gorsuch will be on the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies