Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

In theory the Democrats are looking great due to demographic changes. But that was assuming they could keep the same share of White votes and keep the Blue going for the Midwest. In terms of the electoral college it's looking likely that the Democrats will start taking states like NC and GA but loose states like MI, WI, and MN.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
With an open seat on the Supreme Court and other justices ready to retire so a President Clinton could put their political side in power for the rest of their children's lives the war was in 2016. Depending upon how many justices outlast the Trump administration putting the question up again will tell you when the next win or die election cycle comes

Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In theory the Democrats are looking great due to demographic changes. But that was assuming they could keep the same share of White votes and keep the Blue going for the Midwest. In terms of the electoral college it's looking likely that the Democrats will start taking states like NC and GA but loose states like MI, WI, and MN.

No proof NC and Georgia are in Democratic hands

Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
A better question was Obama's 2012 victory the last gasp for Democrats?

Only 5 truly BLUE states left, where the state legislatures and governor are both democrat.

I would suggest stop being smug and take inventory of where your party is in this country. Spoiler alert: Not good.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
No way. Trump gives the GOP a great chance to reinvent their party and let go of the past. At the same time, the Democratic Party is now looking for a new direction as well. Politics in America will remain competitive - thankfully.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
I feel like the evangelical vote died with Trump. Thank god.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,704,331 times
False.

Conservatives make up close to half the country's populace.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Hmmm. You know I would believe it if it was revealed that Hillary actually won the election but they manipulated the vote tallies to give it to Trump. Of course, if they did it with Trump they did it with Duhbya Bush in 2000 AND Obama in 2008 and 2012, so we'd have a literal train load of people heading off to federal prison. And for you brain dead out there, the Russians had nothing to do with it. They're just the boogey man that agreed to take the blame.
But I think they have radioactive dirt on Hillary and literal skeletons in her closet that would be disclosed which would have her, a sitting POTUS, hauled off to prison in chains while in office which would be a disaster for the American Government. So they went with plan B, have Trump get elected than have the deep state NWO traitors try to take him down. So American democracy is a sham on every level. The elections are rigged and the only politicians that they want in office are the ones that work against the country.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
False! Republicans have the presidency, Senate, the house of reps, more governorships in states, etc.
Looks to me that it is the Dems are on their "last gasp."

amen

Old 02-21-2017, 02:04 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
I don't think the Democratic party has hit bottom yet in terms of power at the federal level. They are extremely exposed in the 2018 Senate elections, defending seats in several states that voted for Trump by substantial margins. If they lose more than 3-4 seats, it may be several cycles before the party attains a Senate majority again. I don't see how a future Democratic president is going to get a Supreme Court nomination or most cabinet appointments confirmed in such a scenario.

The article below considers in general, 14 states are reliable for Democrats, and 21 for Republicans - which underscores that Republicans only have to win a few of the competitive states' races to hold the majority in the Senate.
The GOP

I do think Democrats can recover in the long term, as the demographic changes and generational shifts are real, despite not happening as quickly nationwide as many in the large urban centers assume. Trump as president is doing very little so far to expand his support beyond those who voted for him last year. Ultimately some members of the Republican coalition are going to be unhappy with outcomes when the party has full control at the federal level, and will defect to the opposition. But this will take awhile, and my guess is Democrats won't make significant gains federally until there is a bad economic correction or unpopular war taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies