Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times

Advertisements

Depends on what Republicans do during the next two years.

They get to implement their vision of how things should be.

Let's see how it works out.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think you are relying too heavily on the last election polling that pretty much everyone got wrong including Trump himself. The republicans were in dire straits but the democrats ran the one candidate that could lose to Trump, constantly using mistakes from one election as if that will be the case in the future, good luck.
Ironically you're doing exactly the same thing. A lot of D's want to view this through the scope of one election and reduce the blame for their losses down to one candidate or to one issue (Hillary Clinton being a poor candidate / Russian interference / FBI and James Comey etc. )

You seem to be forgetting or willfully ignoring the fact that the GOP picked up over 1000 seats nationally over the previous 6 years, taking control of the majority of state legislatures, governorships, the House, and Senate. You can't blame that on Hillary Clinton or outside interference, not to mention that Hillary Clinton wasn't the only Democrat that got defeated last November.

Big mistake for Democrats to try and reduce blame to a single factor such as a poor candidate or Russian/FBI interference for their enormous losses and treat this as an anomaly rather than acknowledging that there's a problem within the party as a whole.

But, be my guest.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:49 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
We can only hope it's true. Our survival depends on it.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
We can only hope it's true. Our survival depends on it.
Actually your survival depends on the opposite.

Liberalism is masochism.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Should have added a poll. Anyways, I vote true. I bet in 15 years, all the gains the Rethuglican's have made flip around
Wow... and you're one of the "smart ones" I'd bet! I'm not a Republican but this childish nonsense is repulsive.

Liberals can continue their delusion by believing this is the end of the Republicans, but isn't that exactly what they were claiming when Obama won and they owned Congress?

1000 state and local seats lost, Congress lost, White House lost, SCOTUS lost... you people really do believe that "everyone is a winner" even when you're losing EVERYTHING, eh?

Definition of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Depends on what Republicans do during the next two years.

They get to implement their vision of how things should be.

Let's see how it works out.
I don't believe this is true, though I wish it were. I fear that the left is going so far overboard that they will be sending even more Independents to the right. In the process insuring Trump a super majority. <<<THAT would be bad!

The way the left can move any further left is to fully reject Democracy.

I think the state of this country is more divided than during Viet Nam.

Last edited by steven_h; 02-22-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 PM

46,262 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think you are relying too heavily on the last election polling that pretty much everyone got wrong including Trump himself. The republicans were in dire straits but the democrats ran the one candidate that could lose to Trump, constantly using mistakes from one election as if that will be the case in the future, good luck.

One thing I give Trump credit for is spurring democrats to take action. It will be interesting to see how the GOP representatives react to his programs after their visit back home this week. The congressmen won't be running against Obama's programs in 2018 & 2020, they will be running on Trumps accomplishments and their support or non-support of his actions.
LOL.....

Have you forgotten that since 2009, the right has won over 1000 seats in governmental positions, own more than half the Governorship's.....

So no, the right was not in DIRE straights....

Just because the left says it, does not mean it's true.....: rolleyes:

Old 02-22-2017, 04:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
The republican party has become a caricature of themselves by miring themselves in artard bible stuff and not espousing any productive policies that could actually do something for this country (I say this as a lifelong republican). Pandering to the religious right and 'Murka! types has become an insult to the intelligence of real conservatives.

This is why Trump was picked over the other Mr Burns-looking doofuses.

However, I think the democratic party has to ask itself...

"How bad are we and our candidates that someone like Donald Effin' Trump beat us?"
"How bad have we screwed up that goofy artard republican Mr Burns types took congressional seats all over the country?"

Old 02-22-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The republican party has become a caricature of themselves by miring themselves in artard bible stuff and not espousing any productive policies that could actually do something for this country (I say this as a lifelong republican). Pandering to the religious right and 'Murka! types has become an insult to the intelligence of real conservatives.

This is why Trump was picked over the other Mr Burns-looking doofuses.

However, I think the democratic party has to ask itself...

"How bad are we and our candidates that someone like Donald Effin' Trump beat us?"
"How bad have we screwed up that goofy artard republican Mr Burns types took congressional seats all over the country?"
They blame Russia, FBI, James Comey, Racists, Sexists, ( insert whatever other derogatory epithet you you can think of ) in order to avoid asking themselves that question.

There has been zero introspection and coarse correction that you would assume would take place after an epic loss like this, and instead there is a lot of doubling down.

They have now taken the position that they aren't wrong about anything, that they are the enlightened ones, and that the rest of America is just too troglodytic to see it.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:10 PM

25,942 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
False. The Democrats are continuing to make horses' butts of themselves over their loss and driving nails in the coffin that now houses their party.

Trump is paving the way for Pence. The Democrats are just underfoot where they will stay for at least the next 2 presidential elections.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Sorry, I heard this same nonsense when Reagan was elected, and Bush, and another Bush, and now (completely out of right field) Trump. Also look at control of Congress over the last 20 years. If any party is drifting toward irrelevance, it's the Democrats.
Corporations (the 1%) have hijacked the party and has moved it so far to the right that Obama essentially said publicly, "The truth of the matter is that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican."

That is why they took a chance on a fake populist in Donald Trump over a Corporatist Democrat in Hillary Clinton, after denying a real Populist Democrat in Bernie Sanders a nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.