Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

This is interesting and a flip side to the other thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Victory = last gasp? That is some twisted logic.
Trump winning was really an indictment of the dissatisfaction of the American voter with both parties. That is what Trump's victory was.
This election was a choice between cancer of the genitals or elephantiasis of the face. No on party hardliner has any right to be proud of this. The 2 major parties have failed we the people yet again.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
Neither.

What a "biased" 2 questions.

Thread FAIL!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 AM

9,515 posts, read 4,346,563 times
As a registered independent voter, I don't associate Trump with the Republic party - he's an outlier and I think the Democrats are in for a rude awakening if they think Trump backlash will carry the next election for them. They will get some lift from the Trump debacle, but they need to get their sh*t in gear if they're going to capitalize on it. The Democrats have been on one long temper tantrum since Trump was elected and, quite frankly, many of us are tired of it. They way they coddle SJWs - no matter how outrageous the demand - isn't going to help them either. I'll be happy if either party produces a viable candidate. In my nearly forty years as a voter, I've never seen such a pathetic choice of candidates as in the last presidential election.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That Republicans "won the battle but lost the war"

That Democrats are favored in the future

True or false?
I would say it's the last gasp of the Republican Party as we know it today.

There are plenty of reasonable, rational Republicans out there who are intelligent and want the best for our country and they are the future of the party. Trump is the last gasp of the GOP that clings to racism, bigotry, homophobia, and dreams of theocracy as a winning platform.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Both parties tend to be controlled by the extreme wing these days, they both with continue to loose and win because.

Right now the republicans have it, they will anger people then the dems will come back to win, then they will anger the people and so on.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
It's interesting to go back and look at this thread with some perspective. Instead of "Trump's victory was the "last gasp" of the Republican party", I think Trump's victory may well be the last gasp of the Democratic party. Not only couldn't Democrats come up with anyone young and vital to oppose a 70 year old white guy, their candidate was destroyed. And who's next, the controversial Elizabeth Warren? We may as well declare Trump the winner already.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:09 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
This election might have been a last gasp for both parties. This election saw a rise of the two most clownish candidates. Every candidate who was a logical choice lost. It could very well be that we're fresh out of good candidates and that it may be time to think about a third party.

There is another possibility. Rather than this be a last gasp, this might be a sad look into the future. I never believed we would have a candidate so brutish as Trump. Some of the stuff that he has said, I never thought he would win. And then I think about this. He says things that many people are already thinking. It could be that Trump isn't a last gasp for the Republican Party, but a sign of what is next. More and more people want a candidate who says whatever he thinks, even if it's wrong, even if it's cruel and demeaning. The idea of many is "yes, he's mean, petulant, and crass, but he's honest". It could be that some people think the same way Trump does.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:18 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say it's the last gasp of the Republican Party as we know it today.

There are plenty of reasonable, rational Republicans out there who are intelligent and want the best for our country and they are the future of the party. Trump is the last gasp of the GOP that clings to racism, bigotry, homophobia, and dreams of theocracy as a winning platform.
I'm not certain that Trump represents the last gasp of that element of the GOP, but they are waning, and their anger is in large part because they know that they are collectively waning. They represent the Festivus wing of the GOP. Trump served as the pole to which they could attach their list of grievances. These are the voters who are most likely to be attracted to white identity politics. The objects of their most virulent hatred are not minorities, but the white liberals they derisively call Social Justice Warriors, because they think of them as race traitors. Demographically, the majority of those voters fall within the white non-college and/or Christian fundamentalists/Christian evangelical blocs. Both groups are shrinking with each election because they are disproportionately older voters. How long they remain a significant political force will depend on how many white college grads join their ranks to compensate for the relative lack of young white non-college and young fundamentalist Christians. In 2016 self identified "Christian evangelicals" voted for Trump by 80%-16% with an estimated 85% turnout, which would indicate that there is virtually no growth potential for more R growth in that sector.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-03-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It's interesting to go back and look at this thread with some perspective. Instead of "Trump's victory was the "last gasp" of the Republican party", I think Trump's victory may well be the last gasp of the Democratic party. Not only couldn't Democrats come up with anyone young and vital to oppose a 70 year old white guy, their candidate was destroyed. And who's next, the controversial Elizabeth Warren? We may as well declare Trump the winner already.

Yeah I think liberals suffer massively from projection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies