Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
A's aren't that hard to get anymore. Just being honest.

Perhaps he wasn't disruptive in other classes? Perhaps this class was being taught in a way he felt deserved disruption? You're operating on limited information and making pretty broad assumptions about the scenario.
A's are just as difficult to get now as they've ever been.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A's are just as difficult to get now as they've ever been.
... So they've always been easy?

Either way, I doubt that his course work had been too difficult when he's taking a Middle Eastern Humanities class at a small liberal arts college.

Annnyyways.

So a kid who took a Middle Eastern Humanities class in college got a failing grade on an essay regarding an objective analysis regarding historical accounts of Jesus's crucifixion. His response was to throw a massive hissy fit and resort to name-calling, legal threats, etc in a literal essay of an email. Then confront her in person to "discuss" it. While the copy of the email posted in the link doesn't sound physically threatening, there's also no confirming that it has not been altered in any way before being posted.

Regardless of her faults, he comes off as a whiny, entitled, spoiled brat.

There are always 3 sides to a story. Side A, Side B, and the truth somewhere in the middle. Since neither the dean nor the teacher have actually given their sides of the story, all we have is the one side... but from reading the verbiage in his email, it's probably a case of a student being disruptive and rude in class and teacher who is fed up with bratty babies being disruptive and rude in her class. Leading to situations in which both sides clashed to the detriment of the classroom.

So, based on the information we do have, the Dean made the right call to remove him from the classroom since it was a single student and a single teacher. Had it been the entire classroom against the teacher, then likely the teacher would have been removed.

As for the huge suspension from the campus and all that? Still to be determined as we are still missing information. But it is interesting to note that the suspension letter did not just include the teacher's name, but also included the name of another student (Sarah Ismail). If he is as innocent as he says he is, why is another student listed here?

On the flipside...

If you check out the Facebook post linked in the articles. The one from the teacher? It's literally filled with death threats, rape threats, and all sorts of deplorable comments. And if you check the profiles of these posters? Many of them claim to be Christian. Is wishing these kinds of things on someone really acceptable in Christianity?

Because if it is, then how is it different from the religion they are attacking?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I know of no case where a Christian has converted to Islam. I have met several former Muslims who left Islam once they recognized errors in their Muslim religion. It costs them a great deal to convert to Christianity, as you may know. They are not only disowned by their families, they are under sentence of death for being "infidels". I can't think of another religion that would threaten one with death for leaving.

I can't agree that Christianity gets its "dogma" completely wrong -- if that is what you are saying. You may believe that, but I do not. There is far more that is correct (right) in the core of the faith than there are contradictions. The differences in doctrine between various denominations are just that - different views that do not exclude one from the whole as long as there is agreement on the core (foundation) upon which faith stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Muhammad Ali, formerly Cassius clay. Born a Methodist and converted to Islam. Maybe you don't consider Methodist Christian
Malcolm X, formerly Malcolm Little.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
This speaks to the heart of the issue of the difference between Christians and Mohammedans. Christians accept the Gospel accounts of Jesus, his life, death, and resurrection. Jesus demonstrated (proved) his deity through the miracles he did, and their were witnesses. There were also witnesses to his crucifixion.

Remember that Islam was founded by a man who came 700 years after Christ went to the cross. Why should anyone believe someone who founded what is essentially a cult? Very little is even known about who Mohammed was. Most of what is known is only known from tales and legends that have been passed down. There is no written historical account of the life of Mohammed. Did he even exist? Who knows?

So, it's no surprise that a Muslim "professor" would claim that Jesus wasn't who He said he was. What is a surprise is that a Christian student would be suspended for defending his faith.

It would seem that a course on Middle Eastern studies would also include Christianity, especially since Judaism and Christianity are older than the Islamic 'religion', which really isn't a religion at all, but a political system with a religious component.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This speaks to the heart of the issue of the difference between Christians and Mohammedans. Christians accept the Gospel accounts of Jesus, his life, death, and resurrection. Jesus demonstrated (proved) his deity through the miracles he did, and their were witnesses. There were also witnesses to his crucifixion.

Remember that Islam was founded by a man who came 700 years after Christ went to the cross. Why should anyone believe someone who founded what is essentially a cult? Very little is even known about who Mohammed was. Most of what is known is only known from tales and legends that have been passed down. There is no written historical account of the life of Mohammed. Did he even exist? Who knows?

So, it's no surprise that a Muslim "professor" would claim that Jesus wasn't who He said he was. What is a surprise is that a Christian student would be suspended for defending his faith.

It would seem that a course on Middle Eastern studies would also include Christianity, especially since Judaism and Christianity are older than the Islamic 'religion', which really isn't a religion at all, but a political system with a religious component.
Jews also say Jesus wasn't who he said he was.

Trying to quantify the validity of any religion, and I truly mean ANY, is an exercise in futility. From my standpoint, believe what you'd like and stop trying to tell others your belief is "realer" than others.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You rang?

Actually, many of Jesus' followers didn't believe he was God, or even the Son of God. Early Christianity was very diverse in that regard.
Huh? No. The very essence of Christianity is the belief that Jesus was God in the flesh. As John wrote, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (The Jews referred to God as "the Word." Here John applies it to Jesus)

The early Christians (in the beginning they weren't called "Christians") absolutely did believe he was God, and they began preaching and making converts, of people (first Jews and then Gentiles). They did also believe He was the Son of God. This is clear from the Gospels. The evidence of conversion was the receiving of the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of God) which reveals the "triune" nature of God, one God in three distinct "persons," Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Not "three God's" as some assert, but ONE God in three persons. This is clearly taught in the Bible.

Quote:
There are even apocryphal scriptures that describe his ministry after he recovered from his ordeal on the cross. Which, I assume, is what the Muslim professor meant, not that his judgment and punishment never occurred.
He didn't "recover from his ordeal on the cross!" He died. He was buried (in the tomb) and was resurrected on the third day, as recorded in the Gospels.

Quote:
That first church council in the 4th Century is what created the institutional Christianity we know today, from a variety of groups, sects, practices and beliefs. You might ask your priest about this; most of them learn about this history when they go through seminary. A few even write books about it.
No, that's what gave birth to Catholicism. Christianity already existed "as we know it today." The Catholic Church distorted and bastardized Christianity, which is why we had the Reformation.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 AM

983 posts, read 738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If the student really was suspended just for disagreeing with the professor then that's very wrong but the student has not given information on what he actually said to the professor or anything about why he's not allowed to contact another student. Sounds like he was being more than just disruptive.

And we don't know for sure whether Jesus was crucified or not, the more important point is who cares? If you believe in Jesus and all that then you're going to believe it with or without historical corroboration and if you don't believe in all that it doesn't make a difference whether he was crucified or not, or even if he existed.
What matters is, if this stupid muslim professor was told her beloved prophet had sex with children she would certainly complain!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:56 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Jews also say Jesus wasn't who he said he was.

Trying to quantify the validity of any religion, and I truly mean ANY, is an exercise in futility. From my standpoint, believe what you'd like and stop trying to tell others your belief is "realer" than others.
Well, there is Truth and then there are truths, according to many. Of course there would be denials among Jews about who Jesus was. Just like some denominations say Catholics aren't 'real' Christians, or some other denominations aren't. It takes spiritual understanding of what is, what is not True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know if the Apostles are real people or just extra protagonists added for embellishment. Their stories don't necessarily match up anyway..

Btw...the faith is based on the RELIGIOUS teachings!
Yes, I hear you. You believe faith is based on religious teachings. Christianity is not. It is a personal relationship with the Lord. Religious teachings, for many, may be a step to it, but it's still like walking in the dark in the wilderness. At some point there's a light that goes on and one understands and is changed forever. That is real faith.

I'm sorry you miss the key in this. But, keep talking and thinking and debating.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 AM

6,751 posts, read 3,371,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL More ridiculous than a virgin birth and resurrection from the dead and wine from water and feeding thousands with five loaves of bread and two fish?
Personally, I don't necessarily take things in the Bible literally. They are called parables for a reason. They are a simple stories used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson.

Be that as it may, the android dual Jesus thing is just too funny. If it's a matter of one faith versus another, a person can believe whatever they want for all I care. Maybe my beliefs are funny to them. I don't care.

People have believed in some screwy things throughout history and there's only one way to find out what the truth really is, and one day we will all find out.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, there is Truth and then there are truths, according to many. Of course there would be denials among Jews about who Jesus was. Just like some denominations say Catholics aren't 'real' Christians, or some other denominations aren't. It takes spiritual understanding of what is, what is not True.
I don't think there is one universal truth when it comes to faith.

“A dog will recognize his master in whatever way he dresses. The master may dress in robes, suit and tie, or stand naked, but the dog will always recognize his master. If we cannot recognize God, our beloved master, when he comes in a different dress from another religion, then we are less than that dog.” ~Radhanath Swami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies