Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, I guess we should toss out all historical documents if they don't have authenticated video/photo evidence to back them up right? The Pharaohs didn't really exist as there's no absolute proof other than stories, just like Joan of Ark, Muhammad or any storied leader 500 years ago, etc.etc.etc.
Nope, but we SHOULD take them in context of what we know is possible. For instance, a "King Athur" type monarch may have existed at some point, but he didn't have a magic sword and his buddy Merlin was probably more of an accidental chemist than a sorcerer supreme. Just like there might have been a Jesus in the AME that might have been crucified for rabble rousing, but he didn't "come back to life" and he wasn't born from a virgin either. There might have been a tall dude with a genetic disorder ALA Andre the Giant named Goliath, but there was no giant race of "Nephalim" because we'd have some archaeological evidence. There mighta been a guy named Noah that stacked his goats on a boat and rode out a local flood, but there was no global flood and no ark with one of every species because there would be geological evidence for the first and the second is logistically and logically impossible. Etc etc etc, could go on all day...

Historical documents used to establish potential historical figures, ideally contemporaneous and cross referenced with other potential contemporaneous sources, filtered through the lens of what we know is physically possible.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 03-29-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yes, this is true, of course; but, the apostles were Jews, and they believed. After Christ's resurrection (and they were witnesses to the risen Christ), they began to preach to their Jewish brothers, and many believed and were saved.

Saul, who persecuted the church, and tried to destroy it, met Jesus on the road to Damascus, and then went on to preach the Gospel to Gentiles, and many believed.

Obviously, you're not a believer. But the Bible itself is testament to the "validity" of Christ, who's birth, death, and resurrection was forecast in the "Old Testament."

Also, there are many Jewish believers today, known as Messianic Jews. This too, was predicted in the Bible. Judaism cannot be separated from Christianity. Jesus was a Jew, and he taught from the "Old Testament." That is why, to fully understand Christianity, you must also have knowledge of "Old Testament" scripture. As Gentile Christians, we believers are (according to the New Testament) "Jews by adoption."

As to your last statement: So, I'm supposed to sit down and shut-up, in your opinion? No. I will not. Sorry. Christ told us in Matthew 25 (The Great Commission) to "preach the Gospel to all the world. And in this day and age, when we have Muslims (a false religion) infiltrating our country and trying to convert America into a Muslim country, it is especially important to teach people about Christ, and pray for their salvation.
I believe in God and Jesus Christ. But the rest of it I believe is a lot of made up BS to control the masses. I never said anyone should sit down and shut up about their beliefs. On the same token, its an exercise in futility to try and convince anyone of the validity of your beliefs. Believe what you want, I honestly couldn't care less. But when you start calling other religions false and about infiltrating countries,etc. I find it to be no better than what you and others accuse Muslim extremists of doing. Its the opposite side of the same coin.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, because the miracles that Jesus did were in order to demonstrate (or prove) his deity.
I don't need to believe in those miracles as fact in order to believe that Jesus existed, made huge changes in our world and had an important message to share.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
... So they've always been easy?

Either way, I doubt that his course work had been too difficult when he's taking a Middle Eastern Humanities class at a small liberal arts college.

Annnyyways.

So a kid who took a Middle Eastern Humanities class in college got a failing grade on an essay regarding an objective analysis regarding historical accounts of Jesus's crucifixion. His response was to throw a massive hissy fit and resort to name-calling, legal threats, etc in a literal essay of an email. Then confront her in person to "discuss" it. While the copy of the email posted in the link doesn't sound physically threatening, there's also no confirming that it has not been altered in any way before being posted.

Regardless of her faults, he comes off as a whiny, entitled, spoiled brat.

There are always 3 sides to a story. Side A, Side B, and the truth somewhere in the middle. Since neither the dean nor the teacher have actually given their sides of the story, all we have is the one side... but from reading the verbiage in his email, it's probably a case of a student being disruptive and rude in class and teacher who is fed up with bratty babies being disruptive and rude in her class. Leading to situations in which both sides clashed to the detriment of the classroom.

So, based on the information we do have, the Dean made the right call to remove him from the classroom since it was a single student and a single teacher. Had it been the entire classroom against the teacher, then likely the teacher would have been removed.

As for the huge suspension from the campus and all that? Still to be determined as we are still missing information. But it is interesting to note that the suspension letter did not just include the teacher's name, but also included the name of another student (Sarah Ismail). If he is as innocent as he says he is, why is another student listed here?

On the flipside...

If you check out the Facebook post linked in the articles. The one from the teacher? It's literally filled with death threats, rape threats, and all sorts of deplorable comments. And if you check the profiles of these posters? Many of them claim to be Christian. Is wishing these kinds of things on someone really acceptable in Christianity?

Because if it is, then how is it different from the religion they are attacking?
Hmmm, this is interesting. Let me get this straight they're typing in hateful stuff and also typing they're Christians?

Why would a teacher go to ACLU or Facebook to get solutions for a problem child Are schools and parents no longer involved in correcting this stuff? Some say this teacher lied about the student stalking.

If a Christian teacher told a Muslim student that Mohammed was a false prophet of Islam would this be acceptable? Aren't teachers suppose to be opened-minded, challenging and leading students into all kinds of discussions without putting forth their own opinion?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The funny thing is I am very active in our church, our children are worship assistants as well as my husband. We go to church every Sunday and I consider myself an agnostic Christian. I couldn't care less if other people don't believe Jesus was crucified nor would I waste my time trying to convince them as such. The fact that people feel the need to tell others they are wrong for their belief or lack thereof - which is what many of those posters I quoted did - speaks to the stubborn nature of many Christians.
i guess you missed the sermon of Jesus telling his believers to go into all the world and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Just because one's parents are of a particular faith does not make the child a member as the child has NO say in the matter, somewhat akin to indoctrination or forced "belief".

It's my opinion when said child is old enough to form independent thought to such a degree as to decide his/her own faith or lack thereof (and their parents are smart enough/have faith enough to allow them to decide) it is then when they actually belong to some religion.
Oh come now.

I think this post is purposefully obtuse. We all know that most children, until they are old enough to choose for themselves (and many are never allowed that opportunity until adulthood), are born into whatever belief system their parents hold. That's why we have baptisms, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, baby dedications, Sunday school, catechism classes, Yeshiva, etc.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So, I guess we should toss out all historical documents if they don't have authenticated video/photo evidence to back them up right? The Pharaohs didn't really exist as there's no absolute proof other than stories, just like Joan of Ark, Muhammad or any storied leader 500 years ago, etc.etc.etc.
No. That's not what I said nor what I think. I'm just saying all religions have unbelievable stories that don't hold up to scrutiny. If people want to believe they happened, no skin off my nose. I just find it a little silly to make fun of Muslims who believe in two Jesuses when one's own religion highlights such events as a virgin birth and someone raised from the dead.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
i guess you missed the sermon of Jesus telling his believers to go into all the world and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I could easily say I guess you missed the sermon telling Christians not to pray on the street for all to see or make a big deal about fasting. I'm of the mind that when you quietly live a Godly life, respect other people and give them the latitude you want for yourself that you get a better response than preaching in people's faces and telling them they'll go to hell for not believing what you believe. I left my light shine for all to see but I don't set fires to burn people with. There's a difference. YMMV

Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Hmmm, this is interesting. Let me get this straight they're typing in hateful stuff and also typing they're Christians?

Why would a teacher go to ACLU or Facebook to get solutions for a problem child Are schools and parents no longer involved in correcting this stuff? Some say this teacher lied about the student stalking.

If a Christian teacher told a Muslim student that Mohammed was a false prophet of Islam would this be acceptable? Aren't teachers suppose to be opened-minded, challenging and leading students into all kinds of discussions without putting forth their own opinion?
Where are we talking about a child? This is an adult college student. The parents obviously already failed to raise an adult who can take constructive criticism. He was disruptive in class.

I would love to see the paper - if he wrote a paper on the crucifixion based on his faith rather than on research and scholarship, then he deserved the failing grade. The email does not inspire confidence in the quality of his paper - maybe he would be better served spending some time in the college writing center?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 AM

88,602 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think there is one universal truth when it comes to faith.

“A dog will recognize his master in whatever way he dresses. The master may dress in robes, suit and tie, or stand naked, but the dog will always recognize his master. If we cannot recognize God, our beloved master, when he comes in a different dress from another religion, then we are less than that dog.” ~Radhanath Swami
What a great quote! Was not familiar with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies