Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 02:34 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Won't help. People WANT to believe that a fiery hell awaits...other people. Watch the Twilight Zone Episode called "Four O'Clock" someday. Those people always remind me of that show, and it cracks me up.

Basically this guy is telling everyone that he found a way to make it so that at 4 o'clock on a certain day, all the evil people will become 2 feet tall. He is anticipating this with glee, even telling his parrot, who keeps asking for and getting treats.

Four o'clock comes, and the parrot asks for a treat, and the man can't reach him.
All while lacking the understanding that the evil it takes to find joy and comfort in such a notion is positively repellent!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:38 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
They might as well be arguing over harry potter or star trek.

Throw both the student and professor into a reeducation camp, and call it a day. The world would be a better place without stupid people.

What is this BS even doing at a University should be the real question?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
While the story of the persecution and execution of a Rabbi named Jesus (or at least something similar in the local language) is a great story. I have always been skeptical of its veracity for one simple reason. There is/was no body. Habeas corpus, give me the body. No body, no state execution. No state execution, no crucifixion. No crucifixion, no base for one of the most effective money and wealth diverting scams of all time. Same thought line applies to Riding to heaven on a white Stallion from the Holy Mountain.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
While the story of the persecution and execution of a Rabbi named Jesus (or at least something similar in the local language) is a great story. I have always been skeptical of its veracity for one simple reason. There is/was no body. Habeas corpus, give me the body. No body, no state execution. No state execution, no crucifixion. No crucifixion, no base for one of the most effective money and wealth diverting scams of all time. Same thought line applies to Riding to heaven on a white Stallion from the Holy Mountain.
Reports from Pontius Pilate, the governor of Jerusalem, mentioned Jesus' execution. Since he was reporting to his boss the Emperor as a Roman citizen, there was no reason for Pilate to lie. He had the full power of the Roman Empire to support him, and used it later when he ordered the burning of the Temple Mount.

I don't know if they still exist, but they certainly did in the early Middle Ages, when most of the Catholic church finally settled it's heretical disputes. They're all likely squirreled away in some vault in the Vatican right now.

Mohammed acknowledged Jesus' existence. In Islam, Jesus is one of the prophets, that, like the other Hebrews who came before him, form the foundation for the Muslim belief in only one all-pwoerful eternal God. The notion of many Gods, each with limits, was a lot more common 2000 years ago than it is now.

Your problem is not with the crucifixion; it's with the resurrection. That's the same problem the Jews and Muslims have with Christianity. The historical facts his His existence are plentiful.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
If my memory serves me right, I do recall that you were a graduate of AZU in a humanities-based degree program, yeah? The reference to the coursework was a bit of satire on the old conservative wailings against "worthless" humanities degrees being easy junk.

A bit of dry humor at how some conservatives denigrate humanities degrees until one of their own has one.

Psh. Nah. Dual Bachelor's in CompSci and Business Admin into a Master's in Business Admin.

No joke, none of it was actually difficult in the slightest. Time-consuming, yeah. But definitely not difficult. Honestly wouldn't doubt that a Humanities degree would be harder. My coursework was just numbers, numbers, and more numbers.

Also...

*some girl

Which part? The part where he had a complete meltdown over a bade grade and wrote an essay of an email making legal threats? 'Cause that was true.
Ok... my bad. I'm quick to admit when I'm wrong.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, a great quote for non-believers to adopt.

It makes no sense to a Christian who knows what God has said and done.
No, its a great quote for all because of none of us knows for sure what awaits us in the afterlife. As a matter of fact, that is why Christian churches teach belief and faith instead of fact. We must have belief and faith in what will happen in absence of fact.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The Bible was here on earth when you were born and it will still be here when you're dead and gone. Will you people ever learn?
MANY religions were here on earth, along with their religious texts, when I was born and will still be here when I'm dead and gone. Will you people ever learn?

Old 03-29-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
But you can't stop talking about Jesus, though He left earth 2000 yrs ago. You unbelievers can't do away with Him.
An odd measure of logic, this.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, its a great quote for all because of none of us knows for sure what awaits us in the afterlife. As a matter of fact, that is why Christian churches teach belief and faith instead of fact. We must have belief and faith in what will happen in absence of fact.
Belief/faith are not something that can be taught, nor can they be "learned". "Believe" is an action word, as is the word "love", and one needs choose to act on it and live it out. Jesus said, "believe" -- that is, embrace and accept.

One can learn *about* belief and faith, but one cannot be "taught faith".

Do you have faith?

Just curious. You don't need to answer that if you don't wish to.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:47 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He wasn't crucified. There's no record of it anywhere.

Jesus.. or the student?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies