Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 07:01 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Apparently you didn't read the Bible.
The bible was written centuries after the fact.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:07 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He wasn't crucified. There's no record of it anywhere.
The lack of an official record certainly does not mean he wasn't crucified.

Of course it is recorded in the Bible so you are also wrong that there is no record of it anywhere.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Well, those are three questions this Jew can't answer either (though citing the New Testament as "proof" is laughable to me). It doesn't matter - those are matters of faith, not fact and would have no business in a college paper.

One of the hardest A's I ever earned was in a college course on Christian theology, taught by a Christian professor. At no point did I ever have to compromise my religious beliefs by agreeing with Christian thought. The class didn't turn me Christian (oh, anything but!). It was tricky to write about matters of faith WITHOUT factoring in my own beliefs, but I wouldn't be much of a college student if I couldn't figure out how to separate the two, could I?

I also work in higher ed full time while earning a master's degree - and have had run ins with spoiled college kids running to sites like the College Fix and The Daily Caller to get their way before. On the student side, I would have complained to the dean as well if even half of this student's attitude was taking away from the class discussion. Based on the childish insults he flung in his email, I can't imagine his in-class behavior was much better.

Another great article on this ridiculousness: Rollins College falls prey to fake-news hysteria - Orlando Sentinel

I look forward to this student releasing his failing essay.
I find it interesting people validate witnesses in the court of law as valid evidence, but not multiple accounts of the resurrection in validated historical documents. And yes the Biblical scriptures have been validated historically, more than any other historical document thousands of times over, but let the students find that out for themselves.

People that truly study the issue will find out there's much more fact than faith when it comes to the issue of the death and resurrection IMO. For example the validity of the scriptures have been confirmed through the dead sea scrolls, Carbon dating, etc. It can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt they are inspired by something greater than those that penned it in ink, but let the students come to their own conclusion.

With all that said, a Christian class should be just that, teaching people about Christianity, the objective evidence suggesting the validity or not regarding it , etc in an objective manner letting people decide. An objective class would provide all sides of the story, objective viewpoints of various religions with evidence, letting the student come to an informed conclusion.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I find it interesting people validate witnesses in the court of law as valid evidence, but not multiple accounts of the resurrection in validated historical documents. And yes the Biblical scriptures have been validated historically, more than any other historical document thousands of times over, but let the students find that out for themselves.

People that truly study the issue will find out there's much more fact than faith when it comes to the issue of the death and resurrection IMO. For example the validity of the scriptures have been confirmed through the dead sea scrolls, Carbon dating, etc. It can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt they are inspired by something greater than those that penned it in ink, but let the students come to their own conclusion.

With all that said, a Christian class should be just that, teaching people about Christianity, the objective evidence suggesting the validity or not regarding it , etc in an objective manner letting people decide. An objective class would provide all sides of the story, objective viewpoints of various religions with evidence, letting the student come to an informed conclusion.
Are you thinking that the class that this Muslim professor was teaching was a Christianity class????

Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

Witnesses are often deemed not credible in a court of law for various reasons, especially if they report after the fact. We know that memory is not reliable- multiple people can see a car crash and report totally different stories, but each be completely convinced they are correct.

In any case, you reject dozens of other faiths despite historical documents "proving" them to be true. I mean, you're not Muslim or Mormon, are you? Resurrection or not, Jesus did not fulfill the requirements to be the Messiah. End of story for me.

A college level course on Christianity should absolutely not discuss the "validity" of the religion, short of being in a Bible college or theological school. My alma mater has one of the best programs on Judaic studies in the country, but plenty of their freshly minted PhDs are not Jewish and never once touched on whether or not Judaism is true. They can explain *why* someone might believe it is true (or not), but the purpose of the course was not to convince anyone to convert.

The course in discussion in this thread was a Middle Eastern humanities course, not a Christian religion course.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are you thinking that the class that this Muslim professor was teaching was a Christianity class????
Due to the small numbers of Muslims in this country, that would be a little abnormal, but it's quite common for professors to teach courses on religions objectively that are not their own.

I remember when people lost it over Muslim Reza Aslan writing a book about Jesus, but no one bats an eyelash when a Christian writes or teaches about Islam, or a Jew teaches about Buddhism, or an atheist teaches about Judaism.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Due to the small numbers of Muslims in this country, that would be a little abnormal, but it's quite common for professors to teach courses on religions objectively that are not their own.

I remember when people lost it over Muslim Reza Aslan writing a book about Jesus, but no one bats an eyelash when a Christian writes or teaches about Islam, or a Jew teaches about Buddhism, or an atheist teaches about Judaism.
But this class wasn't a Christianity class. It was Middle Eastern Humanities. The teacher was presenting a perspective that is typically Middle Eastern, the student wanted to present a Christian perspective, and insisted on correcting her (his word-correcting).

Old 03-31-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
But this class wasn't a Christianity class. It was Middle Eastern Humanities. The teacher was presenting a perspective that is typically Middle Eastern, the student wanted to present a Christian perspective, and insisted on correcting her (his word-correcting).
Agreed. And even if it was a Christianity class, it would be inappropriate to present from a Christian perspective.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:53 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is the problem with religion: too many people think they have it all figured out instead of being content with finding something that works for themselves. I reiterate: If people would just live and let live this world would be a much more loving and peaceful rock to live on.
Really?

Here's your problem: God IS. He spoke. WE didn't "figure it out." He came and WE believed. We read His Word, and WE believe.

It's not a matter of "finding something that 'works' for [you]" The only thing that 'works' is believing in Him. And that's what HE said, not me.

Man is sinful. And man is often very evil. That's why "live and let live" will NEVER bring peace. Only God can bring peace.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
We ALL know of cases where Christians have converted to Islam. Muhammad Ali and Cat Stevens spring to mind.
They were not Christians. If they had been Christians, they never would have "converted" to Islam. It is impossible for a true believer to reject the ONE who saved them. Such a rejection of Christ is evidence that they never accepted Christ in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies