Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The funny thing is I don't even find this bill to be particularly conservative. Somewhere along the way "repealing Obamacare" became a means unto itself instead of finding a more conservative solution to fixing our healthcare system.
given that the bill would pretty much kill ACA and return us all the way back to pre ACA I don't have a clue what you mean. not a clue.

the bill EVERY clearly allows 50 states to remove pre existing coverage. it uses block granting which is a joke. It removes the requirement for all to take part, thus dooms it. It allows high risk pools, just like the bad old days.
End employers would be allowed to use the lowest standard set in any of the 50 states. so if one state dropped the standard to whatever they like. co pay caps, lifetime limits, maternity, mental health etc., could all be dropped. any employer any state. lowest worst standard would set the bar.

The bill will not get through the senate, but if it did as it is, you have what we had 10 years ago.

the good news is there is little chance any of this bill will survive, the house passed it to give Trump and Ryan a fake win. they would have been better off passing wind, the stink of that would pass a lot faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is exactly what both parties should be addressing, administrative costs, prescriptions, controlling costs. Instead here we are playing politics with peoples lives, no one should be treating health care as a game.
NOPE.

dems never played games with this. The put through what they could the public punished them handed power to the GOP and the GOP prevented the dems from fixing any aspect of it.

ACA could have been fixed in 2013 2014 2015 2016 but the GOP blocked blocked blocked they did not want it to work no matter how many it hurt no matter the cost. The GOP wanted a tool to win elections and maintain power.

The Dems wanted to fix healthcare for the people of the USA. The GOP want to funnel money to the rich. it really is that easy.

freedom, choice, cost, etc are all BS to trick weak critical thinkers into rallying on flags.

Public healthcare works. it works in dozens of countries.

No developed nation apart from the USA even discusses this. Every single one uses public healthcare because it is much cheaper, it is fair and it gives the rich the best care in the world , the middle class excellent care with some fancy bits, and the poor excellent care but not fancy, and waits for elective care.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
given that the bill would pretty much kill ACA and return us all the way back to pre ACA I don't have a clue what you mean. not a clue.

the bill EVERY clearly allows 50 states to remove pre existing coverage. it uses block granting which is a joke. It removes the requirement for all to take part, thus dooms it. It allows high risk pools, just like the bad old days.
End employers would be allowed to use the lowest standard set in any of the 50 states. so if one state dropped the standard to whatever they like. co pay caps, lifetime limits, maternity, mental health etc., could all be dropped. any employer any state. lowest worst standard would set the bar.

The bill will not get through the senate, but if it did as it is, you have what we had 10 years ago.

the good news is there is little chance any of this bill will survive, the house passed it to give Trump and Ryan a fake win. they would have been better off passing wind, the stink of that would pass a lot faster.
Premiums could reach as high as $25,700 per year for people in high-risk pools, according to a report from AARP. People who receive insurance through their employer would not be affected, unless they lost their job or moved to the individual insurance market for some other reason.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
I especially appreciated the Republicans having a kegger at the White House, on my dime, to celebrate the transfer of wealth from the poor to the 1%.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I especially appreciated the Republicans having a kegger at the White House, on my dime, to celebrate the transfer of wealth from the poor to the 1%.
At least it was crappy beer.

Not even the top 1%, but the top .2 of 1% I heard. Those are some rich people.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Here is a pricing tool by Kaiser to show how TrumpCare will affect each person by age, income and location.

Premiums and Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act vs. the American Health Care Act: Interactive Maps | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
At least it was crappy beer.

Not even the top 1%, but the top .2 of 1% I heard. Those are some rich people.
The same rich people that exempted themselves from the healthcare bill they passed. Hypocrites.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here is a pricing tool by Kaiser to show how TrumpCare will affect each person by age, income and location.

Premiums and Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act vs. the American Health Care Act: Interactive Maps | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
I save $500. A trivial amount of my income. My nephew? loses $440. A massive hit actually for him and his much lower income.

My sister saves $500 as well. My father loses...whoa. WHOA. 10K...20% of his income.

Jesus wept, this is bad for those over 60.

Yeah folks, check out the map, set the age to 60, and try different incomes. 60 years old, in nebraska with a income of 40K Cherry county. net premium change on that 40K income? +18K!

Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,816 times
It's the era of 'magical thinking' - that Trumps' policies won't affect me that much.

That's what all those immigrants thought- that Trump was only going to deport those "bad" illegal aliens......until they started being deported.

I just wonder how many of these C-Ders celebrating this 'victory' today are going to be crying and upset in the future. One never knows when a catastrophe (illness or accident) will occur- better make sure that you read the fine print on your new insurance policies; it might not cover all that you think it does.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I save $500. A trivial amount of my income. My nephew? loses $440. A massive hit actually for him and his much lower income.

My sister saves $500 as well. My father loses...whoa. WHOA. 10K...20% of his income.

Jesus wept, this is bad for those over 60.

Yeah folks, check out the map, set the age to 60, and try different incomes. 60 years old, in nebraska with a income of 40K Cherry county. net premium change on that 40K income? +18K!
Kaiser is real good about this.

The elderly get screwed big time.

The CBO offers an example of a single individual with an annual income of $26,500.

But if that person is 64 years old, he would be hurt by the Republican bill. Under Obamacare, he would also pay $1,700 in premiums for insurance. But under the Republican bill, he would pay $14,600 — more than half his annual income. That amounts to more than a 750 percent increase in premiums from Obamacare to the Republican bill.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...o-premiums-age

The other example I read about an elderly person was a ~25k earner paying ~12.5k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies