Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigonPaisa View Post
Of course people are gonna want infrastructure, public and emergency services.

Id rather these things be non profit than ran by a business entity charging higher prices than the government.

Who do you think actually does the work that our taxes pay for?

What makes you think that it ends up costing us less to have government act as the middleman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
One thing has nothing to so with the other.

Again....

How much of my labor belongs to you?
None,but if you are on any kind of medication quite a bit if it belongs to Phizer and its stockholders.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:08 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Yes.

If education can be a human right, so can healthcare.... Without education, one won't die. Just a FYI...
The thing is we have it assbackwards in this country. The healthcare should be public and the education should be private.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:54 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's "shameful" that you think 3rd world hell holes should be models for us to copy. They are 3rd world hell holes for a reason, and CONFISCATION OF PRIVATE PROPERTY IS THAT REASON.
You should learn more before you attack commentary... Where do you think the US and Other Foreign entities went to find the medicines used by those Tribal community. They scanned around the world hunting down Tribal doctors to learn what natural substances they used for cures.
The bad part of that, is when they found out, they went back and created havoc by trying to occupy the areas to extract such natural herbs and etc. Then put their controls on these substances.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So it's a priority for you to take subsidies from other taxpayers?
I don't get a dime from taxpayers for my healthcare. What I get is a benefit, provided by my employer, as a condition of employment.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Health care is not so much a human right, rather it a basic social service that must be in place to have a functional nation. It's a practical matter as much as a moral issue. Universal health care is essential to maintain the stability and security of the USA. Without it, we destabilize - just as we have been for decades, as inequities for the access to health care has increased. It's no accident that Japan and China have UHC - it's because those countries have 5, 10 and 20 year plans. We have a plan that extends exactly one fiscal quarter into the future.
Probably one of the more rational and constructive answers I've seen from someone advocating UHC.

Calling it a basic social service or even an American right is a more accurate description than calling it a "human right".

Old 05-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Who says rental properties are businesses? For almost 15 years I rented part of a house that was owned by a retired teacher. She had lived in the house during her working years, and when she retired, converted the house to two units and rented them out, while she retired to a nearby rural area.

She never had any profit-maximizing strategy, she was happy to rent below market to stable, long-term tenants. She was happy to break even and collect rent checks while the property continued to appreciate. Her exit strategy was to hold the property until death, so that her adult son could inherit the property with a windfall untaxed capital gain.

In those cases where a rental property is a profit-seeking business, what's the logic? The renter - typically unable to buy a home and therefore financially distressed - is already paying a premium for the inability to buy a home, then there should be a higher property tax on the rented home?

I'm not the one who demands my landlord pay a higher property tax than the owner-occupant next door. Why do homeowners feel so darned entitled?

If renters pay NO property tax, then why shouldn't property taxes on rental property be astronomical?

What about commercial tenants with NNN ('triple net') leases? Do they pay property taxes?
That teacher's rental is still a business. Whether she makes a profit or not does not determine that. She charges a fee for a service provided. That's a business.

I'm pretty sick of you painting all renters with the same brush as yourself. Not all renters are financially distressed, low income people. My mom has a nice retirement, rents a cute little house with her roommate, and is able to buy a home, but chooses not to.

And no, renters do NOT pay property tax. The landlord pays it, as part of his business expense (you wouldn't say that a person shopping at the grocery store is a property tax payer, would you? Same situation). As for Triple Net leases, those are almost exclusively commercial leases, and come with a reduced rent or move-in cost, so not an accurate comparison at all.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
His point went WHOOSH right over your head.

That highlighted section that upset you so much is the equivalent of telling a ten year old that tying his shoes his shoes is so easy, even a five year old could do it. In other words, EVEN third world countries have something we don't IN ADDITION to many first world countries that are performing better than us by every available metric out there.

But keep sticking your head in the sand.
Name one third world country that has universal healthcare, and the state of that healthcare, economy and the living conditions of the citizens.

As for the first world countries, you mean every metric except for income tax, of which they pay heavily.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?

Only "party of science" liberals think an animal has rights like healthcare.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
None,but if you are on any kind of medication quite a bit if it belongs to Phizer and its stockholders.
That's a worthy issue but has nothing to do with whether or not healthcare is a "human right". Nor does it mean I should subsidize others indebtedness to big pharma through even more of my labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies