Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Weird?

Loners?

Nerds?

Yes, I get exactly where you are coming from.
Same thing you were doing, Magritte. Same thing.

And do you think for one moment anyone believes that most third graders or eighth graders are interested in politics, when there are surveys showing college students aren't keeping up with who politicians even are???

You went out of your way to be passive-aggressive with someone who said he wasn't interested in politics in eighth grade and when you got the same from me suddenly it was a problem.

Typical from people on the left, which is why I keep moving closer to the center. The attacks and hypocrisy are galling, but at least you're all consistent.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Same thing you were doing, Magritte. Same thing.

And do you think for one moment anyone believes that most third graders or eighth graders are interested in politics, when there are surveys showing college students aren't keeping up with who politicians even are???

You went out of your way to be passive-aggressive with someone who said he wasn't interested in politics in eighth grade and when you got the same from me suddenly it was a problem.

Typical from people on the left, which is why I keep moving closer to the center. The attacks and hypocrisy are galling, but at least you're all consistent.
No, you weren't. I didn't call anyone names. I said a 14 year old getting all excited about an ice cream truck does strike me as not age appropriate. I'm basing this on my knowledge of adolescents and the kids I work with on a weekly basis.

Whether most 8th graders (who said anything besides 3rd graders and politics anyway?) are interested in politics is moot. The fact is many are, just as many are interested in sports or music.

I wasn't being passive aggressive. I made my point quite clear and wasn't playing games. Direct to the point, not passive aggressive.

Where is your ire for several other posters who called a generation of Americans stupid, uninformed, disrespectful, lazy, etc?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,084 times
Quote:
Where is your ire for several other posters who called a generation of Americans stupid, uninformed, disrespectful, lazy, etc?
Exactly.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
The **** that has happened in this administration has pretty much forced a lot of children to think like adults for once.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
No, you weren't. I didn't call anyone names. I said a 14 year old getting all excited about an ice cream truck does strike me as not age appropriate. I'm basing this on my knowledge of adolescents and the kids I work with on a weekly basis.

Whether most 8th graders (who said anything besides 3rd graders and politics anyway?) are interested in politics is moot. The fact is many are, just as many are interested in sports or music.

I wasn't being passive aggressive. I made my point quite clear and wasn't playing games. Direct to the point, not passive aggressive.

I didn't call anyone names either.

Yes, you did say that and you said more. But again, it's not an accurate portrayal of reality.

Your "direct to the point" is another man's passive-aggressive. It's like people who say they're just upfront and open and honest, when they're simply justifying being mean. (not calling you mean, this is an example so before you go accusing me I thought I'd get that straightened out now.)

As for my ire about those calling a generation of Americans stupid, disrespectful, lazy, etc., I ALWAYS defend them - so you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Exactly.
Oh stop. New here? Check my posting history.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't call anyone names either.

Yes, you did say that and you said more. But again, it's not an accurate portrayal of reality.

Your "direct to the point" is another man's passive-aggressive. It's like people who say they're just upfront and open and honest, when they're simply justifying being mean. (not calling you mean, this is an example so before you go accusing me I thought I'd get that straightened out now.)

As for my ire about those calling a generation of Americans stupid, disrespectful, lazy, etc., I ALWAYS defend them - so you're barking up the wrong tree.
"Losers and nerds" isn't name calling?

An accurate portrayal of whose reality? If anyone knows an 8th grader that gets super duper happy spappy excited about the ice cream truck rolling down the block, please let me know.

I'm fascinated about the passive aggressive thing. Which phrase/sentence was passive aggressive? I haven't seen you going after the posters on this thread who have said terrible things about Generation Z.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
"Losers and nerds" isn't name calling?

An accurate portrayal of whose reality? If anyone knows an 8th grader that gets super duper happy spappy excited about the ice cream truck rolling down the block, please let me know.

I'm fascinated about the passive aggressive thing. Which phrase/sentence was passive aggressive? I haven't seen you going after the posters on this thread who have said terrible things about Generation Z.
I'm referring to people you're talking about - not calling anyone here names.

Stop trying to turn this around on me, Magritte. Someone posted an innocent comment that at the age of 14 he was more interested in the ice cream truck than politics and you felt the need to belittle him.

It's passive-aggressive and obvious. This feigned confusion is unnecessary. Go back and read your posts about it.

But wait - you don't need to go back. Just look at the additional passive-aggressive snipe in this post I'm quoting. You're misrepresenting what he wrote by mocking him AGAIN in writing about "super duper happy spappy excited about the ice cream truck rolling down the block."

Stop. You're mocking someone who never wrote anything like that. For all we know, it was a metaphorical phrase anyway.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to people you're talking about - not calling anyone here names.

Stop trying to turn this around on me, Magritte. Someone posted an innocent comment that at the age of 14 he was more interested in the ice cream truck than politics and you felt the need to belittle him.

It's passive-aggressive and obvious. This feigned confusion is unnecessary. Go back and read your posts about it.

But wait - you don't need to go back. Just look at the additional passive-aggressive snipe in this post I'm quoting. You're misrepresenting what he wrote by mocking him AGAIN in writing about "super duper happy spappy excited about the ice cream truck rolling down the block."

Stop. You're mocking someone who never wrote anything like that. For all we know, it was a metaphorical phrase anyway.
I didn't belittle him. Just saying I think its not age appropriate. *shrug* If people can say nasty things about intelligent, engaged teens, I can say I think its not age appropriate to get all worked up over ice cream.

Also, please stop telling me how and when to post and to whom I shall address my posts. If you don't like what I say, use the ignore button.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
As the OP of this thread, I disagree with the statement in bold above.

My purpose of this thread was to open up discussion about standing for one's principles in a respectful manner which is exactly what those students, who opted out of the photo op, did.

I am sorry these students and their families are receiving threats and insults from those who do not believe in personal liberty.
The question has come down to not whether they had "the right" to do what they did, nobody argues that they certainly have the right but, was it truly their actual opinions or those of their parents/teachers that they were just parroting.

I stand by the idea that the majority are just parroting someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies