Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 04:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Me, too. At that age, I was more concerned about what time the ice cream truck would be on my street.
And I'm sure some of your classmates were actually interested in what was going on in the world around them.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I understand all of that.

But as partisan as I am, and I'm an extremely hardcore partisan, I'd shake Paul Ryan's hand and take a photo with him even though I've got no use for the man politically. It's a right and fair acknowledgement of the man's position within our government. He's accomplished something noteworthy...for better or worse. He hasn't killed anyone! He's just on the wrong side politically.

If I treated him with discourtesy, then I'd have to treat EVERYBODY that agrees with him the same way! Do you really wanna live in a world where we treat people that way based on their politics?

Come on. There's no excuse for this type of behavior.
Why yes, many do <bold> as evidenced by what's going on (lack of civility,violence,burning,rioting etc) in many cities across this nation...

Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol...I thought of your silly post today as my fellow employee and I worked with a group of teens today to choose which summer programs they wanted. Top of the list was 3D printing and second was robotics. It's a diverse, intelligent group. Just for the hell of it I asked who Hillary's vice-presidential candidate was. After a couple checked their smartphones they got the right answer. Then I asked who Trump's VP and all I got was blank looks...then they started complaining I sounded like a history teacher.

I suspect in one week I work with more teens than you'll ever know in your life. Do some like politics? I'm sure they do. Do they have the measure of life's wisdom to turn their backs on Paul Ryan? That's all their parent's prejudices, and you just sound ignorant when you pretend otherwise.
Good points and thanks for the perspective!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I live in NJ and went through the NJ public school system, not far from the middle school mentioned in the article. I don't know what kind of pathetic, jacked up schools are in the rest of the country, but here in NJ, you graduate the 8th grade having all of the following terms in your vocabulary:

-Bicameral Congress
-Speaker of the House
-President pro tempore
-Electoral College
-Term limit
-Filibuster
-Veto
-Lame Duck
-Supreme Court

Most kids don't understand the difference between the Senate and the House? In the middle schools here, you learn how elections and the Electoral College work starting in the 6th grade; you learn how a bill becomes a law; who your state Reps and Senators are, and what congressional district you live in.

You are deluded if you think teachers and parents are telling their kids which party or reps to pledge allegiance to. During the 1988 election, as part of a 6th grade Civics project, we designed political bumper stickers with slogans for our candidate of choice. The teachers chose the top 3 bumper stickers to win a prize. Two of the winning slogans were for Bush. I still remember one of them: DUKAKIS IS MUSH, SO VOTE FOR BUSH. Liberal NJ public school teachers gave that one a gold star. I guess they forgot their indoctrination agenda that day.

The purpose of these units in Civics are to get kids engaged, not to brain wash them. As for the parents planning this, instructing their kids what to do so this would go viral? Give me a break. They didn't learn about the photo op until the night before. And do you seriously think the parents wanted this to go viral, with every comments section and forums like this, with a bunch of people calling their kids (whose full names appear in the articles) STUPID LITTLE BRATS, as well as condemning their parenting? You people seriously need to dial it down a notch or five. Eighth graders have definite opinions on politics and social issues. At that age, the important thing is that they are engaged at all, and not apathetic. Yeah, those views will evolve with age and life experience. So what? Let them grow into their beliefs. Nurture in them, the will to give a damn at all. They "shouldn't" care about politics? Why?

When I was 14, I wrote a rousing anti-abortion essay. My stance on abortion has since flipped. But back then, I was vehemently anti-abortion. Why? Where did I get those beliefs from? I don't remember, but it sure as hell was not from my apolitical parents or my "liberal NJ school indoctrination". And that essay, by the way, was also awarded a prize by liberal indoctrinating NJ public school teachers. They even made me read it aloud during an assembly. The take away from that exercise was not the abortion issue, but knowing how to research a topic and write a persuasive speech.

Also, how is refusing to pose for a picture with Paul Ryan being disrespectful? Or showing HATRED? It's a way to peacefully protest and make a statement of polite resistance. Some of you are in absolute hysterics. Did they throw a shoe at him? Did they make some kind of outrageous statement like 'Paul Ryan doesn't care about black people'? Were they chanting LOCK HIM UP or 'LYIN RYAN? All they did was decline to take a picture.
When, 20-30-40 years ago? You cannot base what is going on today by YOUR school experience of many years ago. It's changed...

Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
He kinda aspires to be a serial killer, with what he wants to do to healthcare...
GOOD as it's a monster that needs killing post haste!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Good points and thanks for the perspective!
"Because its supports my own preconceived notions."

Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
Quote:
When, 20-30-40 years ago? You cannot base what is going on today by YOUR school experience of many years ago. It's changed...
Yes, you're right. It HAS changed. If anything, the school curriculum has gotten more rigorous with the passing of time. For example, they are no longer doing hokey things in Civics class like designing election bumper stickers, the way they did in my time. Education doesn't go backwards. At least not in the school systems here in NJ. I still live in this area and know plenty of kids (including nieces and nephews) that go to schools just like the one mentioned in the article in the OP.

Also, let's remember...14 year-olds are only 4 years away from being aloud to vote. They are only 3 years away from being aloud to enlist. They are only 2 years away from being aloud to marry in most states.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
"Because its supports my own preconceived notions."
And kills baseless unproven narratives!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
GOOD as it's a monster that needs killing post haste!
And the people that will die as a result of that? Their deaths will be on the hands of all that approve of this.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And kills baseless unproven narratives!
Such as the one you agreed with!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies